Gransnet forums

News & politics

Meghan and Harry pay off Frogmore

(276 Posts)
trisher Tue 08-Sep-20 10:01:59

So all those who have complained about this the debt is paid off in full. Do you feel better?
www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a33942968/prince-harry-repays-frogmore-cottage-renovations/
Can you at least acknowledge they are doing their best?

Anniebach Sat 12-Sep-20 11:54:33

Thank you trisher

All Americans have to declare the loan of expensive jewellery,
if taken on holiday, wonder if engagement and wedding rings
have to be declared

Ellianne Sat 12-Sep-20 11:46:37

And we had a border collie called Meg, as are many on "One man and his dog"!

Anniebach Sat 12-Sep-20 11:46:17

Many Catherine’ s in my family for generations, they are called Kate or Cadi.

Ellianne Sat 12-Sep-20 11:44:45

Is the spelling Katherine closer to Kate than Catherine? Kathryn?

trisher Sat 12-Sep-20 11:41:58

^ my grandmother was a Catherine who was called Kate.^
So was mine TerriBull very confusing when you are looking at census records. Sometimes she's Kate sometimes Catherine!!!
hat's interesting mokryna

mokryna Sat 12-Sep-20 11:35:30

When they became engaged the discussion on a French radio channel at the time was how the American tax office could be interested in the ring and rubbing their hands.

TerriBull Sat 12-Sep-20 11:34:40

We have an Australian Mee gan in the family, she's been here a while and that long stress on the first vowel evolved into Megan or Meg a while back. I don't think the Australian pronunciation of what is a nice name very attractive personally, I first heard it in Neighbours years ago when I used to sit down and watch it as a new mum as it coincided with a feeding time and thought that then.

Catherine is a beautiful, name it's one of mine, sadly not my first, I wouldn't shorten it personally, my grandmother was a Catherine who was called Kate.

trisher Sat 12-Sep-20 11:30:59

From the article Annie
Markle could have to report to the IRS, as income, the value of seemingly inconsequential things, such as being lent expensive jewelry, being given a vacation, or living in royal housing with her husband. Merely failing to report something she’s required to report, even if it’s not taxable, could result in major tax penalties
There are more details about penaltioes etc if you are interested.

Lexisgranny Sat 12-Sep-20 11:29:24

Lucca I initially agreed with Ellianne but the remainder of my remark was not concerned with her comments,but just an observation.

Lexisgranny Sat 12-Sep-20 11:22:10

*Lucca

Anniebach Sat 12-Sep-20 10:55:41

Why would the royal family have to reveal financial details ?

Ellianne Sat 12-Sep-20 10:46:13

However, I tend to pronounce Meghan in the Australian way as I know a couple of Australian Megans/Meghans.
Crikey Callistemon, I just had a flashback to my days of watching The Thornbirds.

trisher Sat 12-Sep-20 10:44:57

Rachel is her first name Callistemon. As far as I know she has never used it.
If you really want I will call her Meg and then perhaps Will and Kate can remain as such. Personally I think it is yet just another way of tryng to demean someone who seems to have upset all of you, because she has made money and run off with a member of the RF. At one point you were all moaning about how much she had cost the tax payer. Now the debt is paid apparently she just wanted money all along.???
What is interesting is that under US law the RF would have had to reveal financial details to the IRS as US citizens are obliged to pay taxes even when living abroad. www.investopedia.com/insights/how-will-meghan-markles-finances-change-after-she-marries-harry/
The only way out would have been for her to renounce her US citizenship and she couldn't do that until they had been married for 3 years. I bet that went down well with the RF and their accountants.

Callistemon Sat 12-Sep-20 10:21:20

Why couldn't she just be Rachel?!

Rache?
grin

Lucca Sat 12-Sep-20 10:19:35

Oh right sorry I didn’t see that text

Anniebach Sat 12-Sep-20 10:16:38

Harry said Meg in his text to her father

Ellianne Sat 12-Sep-20 10:07:27

Rachel and Henry. grin

Ellianne Sat 12-Sep-20 10:06:11

Why couldn't she just be Rachel?!

Callistemon Sat 12-Sep-20 10:02:19

I think we all do it Ellianne although I try not to. I don't like my DC's or DGC's names being shortened!

However, I tend to pronounce Meghan in the Australian way as I know a couple of Australian Megans/Meghans.

Ellianne Sat 12-Sep-20 09:56:42

Callistemon

^is she ever called Meg by the way?^

I don't know, but I do know that Catherine is not called Kate.
Except in the tabloids.

I'm guilty of that one!

Callistemon Sat 12-Sep-20 09:52:47

is she ever called Meg by the way?

I don't know, but I do know that Catherine is not called Kate.
Except in the tabloids.

Lucca Sat 12-Sep-20 09:30:23

How are you playing devils advocate? You’re agreeing with her ?

Lexisgranny Sat 12-Sep-20 09:00:10

I agree Ellianne playing Devil’sAdvocate here, but really feel it highly unlikely to say the least, that The Duchess would have been offered a contract with Netflix worth millions, had she been plain Meghan Markle from Suits. No doubt she could have furthered her career by public speaking, but would not have commanded the same amount of payment.

Ellianne Sat 12-Sep-20 08:47:34

Lexisgranny

Just a couple of observations:

Firstly, Was Doria Ragland not overheard introducing herself as “Meg’s Mum”?

Secondly, Meghan Markle had earned a large sum of money as an actress in a cable tv programme, but was approaching forty, when her earning potential was likely to wane. ( I base this surmise on the comments of other actresses, far better known than she). Therefore her previous earnings and potential earnings, could hardly be compared with the money that would be available to her through marriage to a member of our royal family

Good point Lexisgranny. Meghan was nowhere near as famous as the likes of Scarlett Johansen or Jennifer Anniston when she met Harry. She had had her day and her earning potential had probably peaked.
It is interesting that it is their looks that get actresses the parts when young, and then their good acting skills which guarantee their longevity. Meghan is certainly blessed with the former but obviously lacking in the latter.

Lexisgranny Sat 12-Sep-20 08:20:03

Sorry, “Meg’s Mom”