Gransnet forums

News & politics

Could you imagine Mrs Thatcher breaking the law?

(216 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 07:47:46

Thatcher is someone I disagreed with passionately, but I respected her ability, honesty and strength of character.

What Johnson us proposing would never, never have been given a moments thought by Thatcher.

She respected the British constitution and standing throughout the world.

Thatcher gain her reputation throughout the world for standing up for just that.

We are going to lose everything and celebrate the fact with Festival!!

God spare us

trisher Wed 09-Sep-20 11:15:01

paddyanne bits of England hated Churchill as well. He was booed by the dockers when he visited Hull. My GF always referred to him as "that turncoat" because he changed political parties.

MaizieD Wed 09-Sep-20 11:44:35

We are not talking about Churchill, though. We are talking about the Rule of Law. One of the pillars of our constitution and the element that guarantees everyone's freedoms.
Thatcher supported the rule of law (of course she did, it would be foolish not to) and that included the compliance with international law.

Yesterday a government minister stated in Parliament that the government was proposing to break international law.
Unless the government is prevented from doing this it opens the door for every citizen of the UK to break the law and claim government precedent for their action. If unchecked it also allows unlawful government action against any UK citizen. The stuff of dictatorships and the death of democracy.

Whining about Churchill is completely irrelevant to this.

Supporting the destruction of the rule of law is contemptible..

Jaberwok Wed 09-Sep-20 12:47:51

Perhaps if the EU could treat the UK like any other sovereign country that it has conducted trade talks with instead of constantly demanding, insisting, threatening if we don't obey them in all things, we might just feel that we don't need to make provision if and when these talks fail. Whoever heard of trade talks that include fishing!! Don't think Canada or Japan would agree to that still less America or Australia! We're not in the EU now and we don't have to be pushed about by these bullies anymore more than any other country. What is there not to understand?!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 13:01:02

Jaberwok

Perhaps if the EU could treat the UK like any other sovereign country that it has conducted trade talks with instead of constantly demanding, insisting, threatening if we don't obey them in all things, we might just feel that we don't need to make provision if and when these talks fail. Whoever heard of trade talks that include fishing!! Don't think Canada or Japan would agree to that still less America or Australia! We're not in the EU now and we don't have to be pushed about by these bullies anymore more than any other country. What is there not to understand?!

And breaking the rule of law?

Galaxy Wed 09-Sep-20 14:01:55

You know all these people who wanted to take back control, Great Britain blah de blah, what exactly was it that they thought Great Britain stood for, cause for me the rule of law was a fucking cornerstone. When we teach british values the rule of law is key, are we to change this?

Galaxy Wed 09-Sep-20 14:03:43

So irritated my spelling and grammar have gone awry.

Jaberwok Wed 09-Sep-20 14:36:23

Only if we don't get a trade deal, which, unless we give way over fishing and other key issues that all other sovereign countries run themselves, we obviously won't! If the EU could treat us like any other sovereign nation ie Canada, then we would have no need to even contemplate breaking any law! Do Norway allow unrestricted fishing in their own waters? No, of course they don't! They have a quota system run by them , reviewed I think each year! We would like a similar arrangement, but apparently that is not possible!! err why?! So how best to force us, well, threaten trade between us and NI! Oh no you don't! State aid decided by the EU?! I don't think so. Our laws governed by the ECJ?again, I don't think so! Give into all these demands? If We do then we might as well have stayed shackled to these cowboys and had done with it!

Jane10 Wed 09-Sep-20 14:39:19

Do other countries always stick to international law? Just asking. wink

Galaxy Wed 09-Sep-20 14:40:32

Some people shoplifting. Doesnt mean I should do it wink

Galaxy Wed 09-Sep-20 14:41:07

Shoplift that should say.

varian Wed 09-Sep-20 14:47:45

Many British fishermen sold their quotas to foreign buyers along with their boats, something which other EU countries did not allow.

The interests of the UK fishing industry evidently did not matter one iota to the utterly useless UK member of the EU Fishing Committee, one Nigel Farage, who only bothered to attend one meeting out of 42.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 14:49:15

Jane10

Do other countries always stick to international law? Just asking. wink

China doesn’t. I suppose we can identify with them. We are certainly in no position to criticise if we go ahead as planned

Blossoming Wed 09-Sep-20 14:51:55

I admire Margaret Thatcher for her many personal qualities. She was a great leader, even though I profoundly disagreed with the direction she led us in. Johnson does not even come close.

Jane10 Wed 09-Sep-20 15:05:15

Jaberwok's post made sense to me.

lemongrove Wed 09-Sep-20 15:14:05

Does Russia?
Do all other countries in the world, including all EU countries
Always stick rigidly to International Law?I think not.
Posters who usually denigrate anything that the UK does, now hold us up ( as another poster says) as a shining beacon of light.Forgive my wry smile.

Nezumi65 Wed 09-Sep-20 15:14:17

Johnson doesn’t WANT a trade deal. His millionaire backers want no deal and they don’t give a damn if we break international law and rip up the constitution to get no deal.

This government is corrupt to the core.

M0nica Wed 09-Sep-20 15:19:05

There have been men and women of unquestioned integrity on both sides of the political spectrum, but Boris Johnson is not one of them.

He and Jeremy Corbyn sit in a group almost entirely there own of total incompetents who cannot be believed or trusted on anything.

lemongrove Wed 09-Sep-20 15:19:18

Jaberwok

Hear hear ?
The EU still treat us as if we are a member country.....time they stopped.I think now that we should simply leave without a deal if this continues.Probably though, as is usually the case with them, it will all happen at the last moment ( a deal) when they realise we won’t be agreeing to their terms.

Nezumi65 Wed 09-Sep-20 15:23:53

‘Simply leave without a deal’ - except there is nothing simple about leaving without a deal. It’s great for disaster capitalists - not so good for the rest of us.

Nezumi65 Wed 09-Sep-20 15:24:52

Lol at it being the EU that leaves it to the last minute. Have you understood anything about the trade negotiations?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 15:26:58

lemongrove

Jaberwok

Hear hear ?
The EU still treat us as if we are a member country.....time they stopped.I think now that we should simply leave without a deal if this continues.Probably though, as is usually the case with them, it will all happen at the last moment ( a deal) when they realise we won’t be agreeing to their terms.

Oh lemon one can always rely on you for total inconsistency ???

Jaberwok Wed 09-Sep-20 15:31:53

Kamiso. Hope your cancer check went ok.???

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 15:51:29

Twitter

The Vienna Convention on International Treaties

Article 27. INTERNAL LAW AND OBSERVANCE OF TREATIES

A party may not invoke the provisions of its internal law as justification for its failure to perform a treaty.

So that would put the Tories against the UN wouldn’t it?

lemongrove Wed 09-Sep-20 15:53:22

Really Whitewave.....? How so?
I doubt that I have ever been inconsistent on this matter recently ( or any other come to that.)

lemongrove Wed 09-Sep-20 15:55:25

Nezumi65

Lol at it being the EU that leaves it to the last minute. Have you understood anything about the trade negotiations?

Yes, the EU always take it to the wire when doing deals with non EU countries.