Gransnet forums

News & politics

Could you imagine Mrs Thatcher breaking the law?

(215 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 07:47:46

Thatcher is someone I disagreed with passionately, but I respected her ability, honesty and strength of character.

What Johnson us proposing would never, never have been given a moments thought by Thatcher.

She respected the British constitution and standing throughout the world.

Thatcher gain her reputation throughout the world for standing up for just that.

We are going to lose everything and celebrate the fact with Festival!!

God spare us

Galaxy Wed 09-Sep-20 07:50:33

Yes I hated most of what Thatcher stood for but I dont think she was corrupt, lazy, etc I dont even have the energy to finish the sentence. Thatcher believed in what she was doing, I thought she was wrong but Johnson doesnt have a true belief in his body.

Kamiso Wed 09-Sep-20 07:54:48

Not ANOTHER hatefest! Tedious!

Cancer check up at 10am so will leave you all to it.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 07:56:13

Kamiso

Not ANOTHER hatefest! Tedious!

Cancer check up at 10am so will leave you all to it.

Good luck!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 08:20:00

Johnson

Broke the law when he tried to help someone beat up a journalist.

Broke the law when his Vote Leave campaign overspent by £449,000.

Broke the law when he shut down Parliament.

Now he plans to break the law on the Brexit Deal and Northern Ireland

Femi.

varian Wed 09-Sep-20 09:02:36

But this time it would not be that
notorious liar Johnson just lying again, it would be the United Kingdom reneging on an agreement, bringing disgrace to us all.

trisher Wed 09-Sep-20 09:26:58

I do think that even for this government this is a step too far. What sort of countries don't respect International Law? North Korea, Syria? Are these the sort of countries we are now aligning Britain with? I imagine there are those Brexiteers who will see this as us asserting our independence. But it is a step in the wrong direction and this disgusting government needs to take a step back.

NotSpaghetti Wed 09-Sep-20 09:30:46

I do hope this won’t go through.
It’s sad to feel we are so untrustworthy.

MayBee70 Wed 09-Sep-20 09:38:18

Kay Burley (sp) on Sky News just asked Matt Hancock on Sky News why we should adhere to the latest Covid ruling of no more than 6 people meeting together when an MP said yesterday that it was perfectly acceptable for us to break international laws when it suited it. Ever since Cummingsgate people have openly flouted any rule that doesn’t personally suit them.

EllanVannin Wed 09-Sep-20 09:43:05

After Churchill, Thatcher was the finest PM we'll ever see in this country ! Does anyone at all match up to her ? NO !

Lovetopaint037 Wed 09-Sep-20 09:47:46

So the UK is going it alone with a new reputation that of an unreliable breaker of agreements with no regard for International law. Britain has been regarded as a country of integrity who abides to the law and can be relied on in dealings with the rest of the world. We are allowing a dishonest, incompetent clown to drag the UK down to his level.

Jaberwok Wed 09-Sep-20 10:32:29

Honestly all this reference to Churchill!!! Have none of you heard about Gallipoli? the siege of Sidney Street, the Welsh miners? the disgraceful repatriation of Russian Cossacks and Ukranians to the USSR after WW2 to their certain death, the disgraceful way the contribution of Bomber Command was airbrushed out of any recognition after WW2? Churchill was no saint that's for sure, he is revered as no one can doubt his leadership abilities during WW2, but to behave as if he never put a foot wrong is blatantly wrong.

varian Wed 09-Sep-20 10:34:30

Leader of the Liberal Democrats, Ed Davey posts - "This is a really sad and shocking state of affairs for our country. Breaking international law will do untold damage to our reputation abroad, it will make us poorer and make it harder to solve global crises like the climate emergency."

twitter.com/EdwardJDavey?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Jaberwok Wed 09-Sep-20 10:34:43

Certain death by America and Britain (Churchill) to appease Stalin.....

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:36:25

Jaberwok

Honestly all this reference to Churchill!!! Have none of you heard about Gallipoli? the siege of Sidney Street, the Welsh miners? the disgraceful repatriation of Russian Cossacks and Ukranians to the USSR after WW2 to their certain death, the disgraceful way the contribution of Bomber Command was airbrushed out of any recognition after WW2? Churchill was no saint that's for sure, he is revered as no one can doubt his leadership abilities during WW2, but to behave as if he never put a foot wrong is blatantly wrong.

The thread is entitled Thatcher

Jaberwok Wed 09-Sep-20 10:38:25

Any attempts at a trade deal will fail because of fishing, particularly now the conservationists are on board especially Greenpeace. At last, Yippee!

Jaberwok Wed 09-Sep-20 10:39:44

E.V, made reference to Churchill!

varian Wed 09-Sep-20 10:43:00

This is the moment the government lost control of events. It is inconceivable to me that my government - a British government - would so blatantly devalue the concept of a rules-based international order. Churchill must be turning in his grave. MPs from across the house must act.

twitter.com/ProfBrianCox

paddyanne Wed 09-Sep-20 10:46:07

Churchill was a hated man in Scotland ,he brought tanks in adn locked Scottish soldiers in their barracks so they wouldn't support their friends and families .Evil old B .My granny had double the issues with him because of his treatment of Ireland and the Irish .

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:59:54

So getting back to the OP.

I was interested to hear May stand up yesterday criticising Johnson and his plan to break international law.

May continually acted unlawfully as a Home Secretary, and of course she was taken to court over A50, and forced to go back to parliament after trying to flout their sovereignty.

It seems to me that flouting the law is something they will do seeing it as the end justifying the means. Very little has been done to date to stop them.

This is what so many people are seriously worried about and why we should Put huge value on our rights as citizens and the law which backs it up.

This government has only ever served its own interests and will continue to do so as long as it can.

varian Wed 09-Sep-20 11:01:24

Robert Peston, writes in The Spectator-

"The question for Boris Johnson is why he signed a Withdrawal Agreement that gives the EU the power to decide whether British agricultural products are fit for export to Northern Ireland. There was no secret that this is in the Withdrawal Agreement. It is there in black and white. Critics of the deal cited it from the start. It is why more sanitary and phytosanitary checks will be required on livestock and agrifoods going from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.

So why would Boris Johnson sign a deal knowing from the outset that its terms were such that in plausible circumstances they might lead him to breach international law? Or was he was unusual in simply not knowing?

As for the EU’s take, an official says: 'We still need to list the UK as a country that can export agriculture stuff. It would help if the UK could explain its future regime on food production standards,hygiene, etc. Somehow the UK says it will be equivalent to EU, but we need details'. Quite."

www.spectator.co.uk/article/a-brexit-question-boris-johnson-must-answer

Callistemon Wed 09-Sep-20 11:03:10

I think she would have handbagged remonstrated with anyone she saw breaking the rules. ?
We would have had no doubt what the rules were, either!

GranddadBrian Wed 09-Sep-20 11:10:39

So are you saying we don’t stand up for British decent principles because Boris should not be criticised?

vegansrock Wed 09-Sep-20 11:14:47

Margaret Thatcher was a great believer in the single market.

Jaberwok Wed 09-Sep-20 11:14:55

On FGS A British Government! Churchill, turn in his grave?? What that old Imperialist? He'd have sold his granny to keep hold of India!! All this faux indignation! All governments are dishonest when it suits them, all politicians the world over have an eye to the main chance and Britain is no different! All this pretending to be a shining beacon of honesty is just baloney and laughable! Remember T B and Iraq? Nothing very honest about any of that in or out of Parliament!