Gransnet forums

News & politics

Government corruption why is no one shouting from the housetops?

(131 Posts)
Furret Fri 11-Sep-20 07:31:15

“Fear, shame, embarrassment: these brakes no longer apply. The government has discovered that it can bluster through any scandal. No minister need resign. No one need apologise. No one need explain.

As public outrage grows over the billions of pounds of coronavirus contracts issued by the government without competition, it seems determined only to award more of them. Never mind that the consulting company Deloitte, whose personnel circulate in and out of government, has been strongly criticised for the disastrous system it devised to supply protective equipment to the NHS. It has now been granted a massive new contract to test the population for Covid-19.

Cummings ally's PR firm given Covid-19 contracts without tenders

Never mind that some of these contracts have reportedly cost taxpayers £800 for every protective overall delivered. Never mind that at least two multi-million pound contracts appear to have been issued to dormant companies. Awarding contracts to unusual companies, without advertising, transparency or competition now appears to have been adopted as the norm. Several of the firms that have benefited from this largesse are closely linked to senior figures in the government.“

From today’s papers.

Several of the above dodgy (downright illegal) deals have been mentioned on GN never mind the press and other media, but this government simply carries on handing out tax-payers money to cronies and born-to-fail projects. Billions.

Why are we sitting back and doing nothing.

growstuff Fri 11-Sep-20 11:54:09

I would say you're politically savvy enough to understand what's going on.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Sep-20 12:02:27

Their supporters don’t even have the balls to support them, except maybe ug, but that is only through the prism of Brexit.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Sep-20 12:14:01

You may recall that Ayanda, connected to Liz Truss, delivered £160m of unusable face masks to the NHS in a contract that had remarkable and inexplicable clauses (which Govt refuses to explain) for a profit we believe to be substantially in excess of £50m.

Dorsetcupcake61 Fri 11-Sep-20 12:20:26

Thankyou growstuff and Whitewave2. It does seem to be a global issue. There was a heartbreaking section on the news last night about India where amidst indescribable suffering by millions of people their ruler parades around feeding peacocks and declaring everything is going well.!
The world seems a smaller place where more power and wealth is held by fewer people.
In a time where we have almost unlimited access to information and live news it feels people are instead more insular and easily distracted by an endless stream of nonsense.
For a short while during lockdown it felt as though people genuinely stopped to breathe and evaluate their lives. I'm as guilty as the next person in my use of Amazon but the wealth and power of Geoff Bezos is something I find chilling. Do we even know who holds the real power? Scary though the prospect it part of me Hope's things will fall apart because whether it's the value placed on individuals or the pollution of our planet something needs to change.

Elegran Fri 11-Sep-20 12:35:25

Grany

Couldn't shouldn't there be a system that's recognises wrong doing criminal activities that can call this government to account, it is obvious they are not acting in the publics interest and doing untold damage?

Who should there be to put a stop to all this wrong doing?

Do other countries have a brake they can put on their government if they are acting illegally?

There is, Grany It is the legal system. The PM and the cabinet are answerable to Parliament, and they are all answerable to the laws of the land, as administered by the system of justice. It appears that neither the assembly of MPs nor the judges are independent enough to call them to account.
No-one is above the law, and the lawmakers should be honourable and public-spirited enough not to frame laws to increase their own wealth and that of their friends and supporters, nor to use their power to act in ways that would cause a procurement manager in any business to be sacked without a reference.

westendgirl Fri 11-Sep-20 12:36:22

Some very good and relevant posts here. It's heart breaking seeing what this country has become in the eyes of the rest of the world. Let's hope that those M.P.s who can be called honorable hold out against the corrupt self- seeking ones and shout long and hard from the roof tops what is really going on so that general public is aware. People must know things like the NHS Test and Trace is not that at all, but should be called the Serco Test and Trace. Boris Johnson must be called to account. Heart breaking !

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Sep-20 12:38:25

Independent

Boris Johnson is facing revolt from dozens of Conservative MPs over his plan to tear up key parts of the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement, after Tory rebels tabled an amendment that would give parliament a veto on his Internal Market Bill.

Up to 30 backbench Tories are said to be ready to vote against the government, with justice committee chair Sir Bob Neill urging the prime minister to think again: “For heaven’s sake, try and find some other way.”

quizqueen Fri 11-Sep-20 12:41:55

Furret, can you also list any dodgy deals which Labour have been involved in when they were in power. I'll kick you off with Brown selling off the 'family silver'.

growstuff Fri 11-Sep-20 12:43:02

I agree with you about Bezos' wealth, but at least Amazon (usually) does what it says it will do - ie deliver the goods you've paid for. The people who have benefitted from "crony contracts" don't even do that.

And who's going to get the Space Dust contract?

(Ooops! I meant Moondrop. Space Dust is a form of crack cocaine.)

growstuff Fri 11-Sep-20 12:44:25

quizqueen

Furret, can you also list any dodgy deals which Labour have been involved in when they were in power. I'll kick you off with Brown selling off the 'family silver'.

Didn't anybody ever tell you that two wrongs don't make a right? In any case, the Conservatives have sold off more "family silver" than Labour ever did.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Sep-20 12:44:50

Light relief

MaizieD Fri 11-Sep-20 12:59:53

And who's going to get the Space Dust contract?

I think that one's already been sorted, growstuff. Several years ago... wink

MaizieD Fri 11-Sep-20 13:01:28

quizqueen

I don't think that Brown put the money from the sale into his own bank account.

pinkquartz Fri 11-Sep-20 13:13:25

I agree with your well written post [doesetcupcake61]

pinkquartz Fri 11-Sep-20 13:16:01

in my lifetime this is the most corrupt Govt we have had but also the most stupid.

i now watch PMQ and wonder how much Starmer must want to just strangle the blustering idiot booming crap in answer to his well put and relevant questions.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Sep-20 14:52:03

Richard Murphy
@RichardJMurphy
The ‘moonshot’ testing regime would cost £1,540 a year for each person in the UK, or almost £30 a person per week, which might well come to more than many households’ food budgets. Really? Does anyone believe that number?

Dorsetcupcake61 Fri 11-Sep-20 15:03:53

Thankyou PinkQuartz. Yes this weeks pm question time was too embarrassing to even bother to hurl abuse at. Johnson seemed to have a learned script that if he deviated from sent him into a frenzy. Fans of Father Ted may remember Father Jack being taught " it's an ecumenical matter".
I tuned in to Independent Sage who continue to be informative but I also sense a despondancy. A question was raised similar to this thread. One of the answers was that the government seem deaf to the majority of voices. The only hope is local areas taking matters into their own hands and protecting the public,or indeed we just have to protect ourselves. Another option was the shaming of the government by high profile celebrities as was done in summer by the footballer and free school lunches. Maybe we should lock Gemma Collins in a room with them all!
On the lighter side every time I hear hand face space I think hands knees bumpsadaisy ?

GillT57 Fri 11-Sep-20 16:07:32

QQ pathetic and predictable comments from you as ever. You must try harder, what about 'It would have been worse under Corbyn'. And, before you ask, no I will not apologise, it is people such as you, supporting this disgraceful, corrupt administration that make me very angry. Ironically, I have just had an email reply from my MP, the wonderful Bernard Jenkins no less. I had asked him for his opinions on the contracts awarded to the pal of Liz Truss who then bought all that PPE that was unfit for NHS use. Predictably, I have had a patronising reply assuring me that all is well, all is legal, and the PPE contract was issued in the correct way. If anyone is interested, I will post it on here for all to read, but it is rather depressing.

Furret Fri 11-Sep-20 16:30:39

QQ if you are too lazy or blinkered to do your own research I have no intention of doing it for you.

Very Boris I must say.

Luckygirl Fri 11-Sep-20 17:26:14

The nonsense of always countering a concern about the current government (of whichever colour) by saying that a previous one was the same or worse achieves nothing and does not move us forward towards improvement. We should be striving for better, but our democracy is going backwards.

GillT57 Fri 11-Sep-20 17:27:34

My views, like a few others on here, are fairly obvious, but then again why not as I am not ashamed of them. I did not vote for Brexit, did not vote for this government, but neither did I vote for Corbyn before anyone jumps in. However, in everyone's heart of hearts, surely, nobody can be happy with the way this country is being run, irrespective of how you voted. This shambolic, corrupt administration is being criticised by its own backbenchers ( well, those who are brave enough to put their conscience before their career), so why do some people still think they are doing a good job? I am not saying Corbyn would have done any better as we don't know, I am not even suggesting that current Tory voters should think about how they vote next time, but come on, surely nobody think this is all going well? The potential breaking of International Law, the dismissal of the GFA as being of little consequence, the refusal to acknowledge the lack of any possible trade agreement with the USA, and that's before I get started on the privatisation of the NHS, the abuse of carers. Anyone? If anyone tells me that they voted for this perhaps they would like to direct me to the relevant paragraphs in the last manifesto.

annep1 Sat 12-Sep-20 08:15:42

Dotsetcupcake Good post. I agree it's not just here.
I think people feel generally that they don't matter but that they have very little power to change things.

vegansrock Sat 12-Sep-20 09:03:21

Of course there are those who have been gaslit into believing that every shambolic decision, every cringeworthy slogan or embarrassing U turn is somehow an act of genius.

Iam64 Sat 12-Sep-20 09:10:05

Furret, thanks for starting this discussion. Dorsetcupcake, particular thanks for your posts. There are many excellent posts here that reflect how bad things are, with this shambolic , corrupt government.
Quizqueen, you've hit new lows there, bringing in Gordon Brown as some kind of bad guy to compare with the current PM. Absolute nonsense. We have government contracts being handed out to pals of ministers, handed out to companies without tenders and without due diligence to check the people given the contract can fulfil it.
We have a PM suggesting the agreement he signed and presented to the country was badly drawn and put together too quickly. So never mind, he can ditch it. In addition to breaking the law, he is happy to put the Good Friday Agreement and peace in Northern Ireland into jeopardy.

We're living through this awful pandemic, which of course dominates our lives. We need a government we can trust and we don't have that. They have a huge majority and as someone in England I fear the Union is going to end. That will be another of Johnson's legacies to this country.

Alegrias Sat 12-Sep-20 09:16:17

Great post GillT57. I'm interested to see if you get any direct replies.