Gransnet forums

News & politics

Government corruption why is no one shouting from the housetops?

(131 Posts)
Furret Fri 11-Sep-20 07:31:15

“Fear, shame, embarrassment: these brakes no longer apply. The government has discovered that it can bluster through any scandal. No minister need resign. No one need apologise. No one need explain.

As public outrage grows over the billions of pounds of coronavirus contracts issued by the government without competition, it seems determined only to award more of them. Never mind that the consulting company Deloitte, whose personnel circulate in and out of government, has been strongly criticised for the disastrous system it devised to supply protective equipment to the NHS. It has now been granted a massive new contract to test the population for Covid-19.

Cummings ally's PR firm given Covid-19 contracts without tenders

Never mind that some of these contracts have reportedly cost taxpayers £800 for every protective overall delivered. Never mind that at least two multi-million pound contracts appear to have been issued to dormant companies. Awarding contracts to unusual companies, without advertising, transparency or competition now appears to have been adopted as the norm. Several of the firms that have benefited from this largesse are closely linked to senior figures in the government.“

From today’s papers.

Several of the above dodgy (downright illegal) deals have been mentioned on GN never mind the press and other media, but this government simply carries on handing out tax-payers money to cronies and born-to-fail projects. Billions.

Why are we sitting back and doing nothing.

CR39 Mon 28-Sep-20 19:35:06

Sorry, meant to say have you written to you local MP?

CR39 Mon 28-Sep-20 12:40:26

Furret
About your post re Deloitte and Cummings allied PR firm re Covid 19 contracts. Was the information you have given published anywhere including the press and have you expressed your strong views to the Government and if so did you get a reply? Many thanks

varian Mon 21-Sep-20 14:05:14

I think that Putin and friends spent much more than that, not just in donations to the Tory Party, but in many overt and covert ways to get Brexit.

Oh the irony of "take back control"!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 21-Sep-20 07:35:32

This goes beyond corruption, but it is making BBC headlines this morning.

A woman who gave £1.7 million to the Tory party is married to a man (presumably who funded her) who has very close ties to Putin.

Presumably £1.7 million was worth every penny to get Putin Brexit.

MaizieD Sun 20-Sep-20 22:23:06

Nonetheless, Dinahmo, it is an irrefutable fact that immigrants are willing to work for such low pay that locals can't get jobs, and, that they are, at the same time, all swanning around doing nothing on unbelievably generous benefits grin grin grin

Dinahmo Sun 20-Sep-20 21:29:11

Interesting figures in the Guardian/Observer today. Migrants make up around 15% of the population. (Not a lot)

There are 525,000 people in the top 1% earning over £128,000. 24 % of those moved to the UK as adults.

These figures are based upon anonymised UK tax returns used for research by the University of Warwick.

Apparently in low income jobs only about 1 in 6 are migrants. But of course the local population of low earners is unaware of that.

Iam64 Sun 20-Sep-20 19:39:16

How often is it necessary to repeat. Illegal immigrants get nothing. They can’t claim, that identifies them, off to Yarswood.
Asylum seekers, refugees, get cheap accommodation, they aren’t allowed to work, they get under £50 a week to live on. Once granted asylum, the vast majority work, pay tacescand contribute. I’ve worked with foster carers, teachers, many care workers etc who escaped possible death and untold misery to get here.
I do not understand the prejudice and lack of humanity, ignorance of truth, that leads some to complain about these desperate people

growstuff Sun 20-Sep-20 12:24:42

Carenza Illegal immigrants in the UK receive nothing!

Ironically, truly illegal immigrants probably contribute more to the economy than they ever receive. They work in nail bars or as cleaners or in sweatshops or take always, often for very low wages. They can't complain and they won't receive sick pay if they can't work and will never be eligible for a pension.

They contribute by providing a service and a profit to their employers, who probably do pay some form of tax.

MaizieD Sun 20-Sep-20 12:01:49

Carenza If they are ILLEGALLY here, they have no official existence, so they don't get any benefits - signing up for benefits would reveal that they are here, which would get them sent back.

They're Schrodinger's immigrants, Elegran. Everybody's favourites...

Elegran Sun 20-Sep-20 11:11:16

Carenza If they are ILLEGALLY here, they have no official existence, so they don't get any benefits - signing up for benefits would reveal that they are here, which would get them sent back.

If they arrive here openly, saying that they are in danger in their own country, they are housed and regulations on how they are legally supported and housed is here. england.shelter.org.uk/legal/housing_options/asylum_seekers That will tell you who sanctions what.

If they are foreigners, here working in hospitals and so on, IO assume you don't object to them being paid a fair wage for what they do?

CR39 Sun 20-Sep-20 10:54:00

I suppose there has always been corruption from the beginning of time but the extent of it now is appalling and needs someone to step up to the plate and denounce the lot of them. Maybe Keri Starmer will try on behalf of the forgotten masses. Do you think I am completely naive in believing this can ever happen!

Carenza123 Sun 20-Sep-20 08:03:47

When living in Spain, we were surprised at the corruption, starting with the local mayors of the small towns. In England now, we are so disillusioned and think basically all MPs are only out for themselves. The Prime Minister does not seem to get any backing from his own party. I think we have lost our way in this country. Who actually sanctions all the illegal immigrants having all these benefits when they have contributed nothing to our economy? When we lived abroad we had to prove we had sufficient income in our account to live there, the government here has no real interest in the well-being of the populace, nothing done to help family well-being, the police force is a joke as they have no real powers. My husband and I often say - thank goodness we are the ages we are (70s) as we fear for the future in the UK and future of our family.

growstuff Sun 20-Sep-20 07:40:39

Davidhs

Churchill was his own man not a puppet, is BJ really that deluded.

Good question! I'm not a mind reader, but it appears he might be.

Another point about Churchill was that he was surrounded by talented people, such as Attlee, Bevin and many others. He disagreed with them, but he wasn't afraid to have them in his team and they did a good job. Johnson has surrounded himself with sycophantic and not very talented people. The one exception is Gove.

Davidhs Sat 19-Sep-20 21:38:57

Churchill was his own man not a puppet, is BJ really that deluded.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Sep-20 16:31:53

growstuff

Hmmm ... I don't suppose the article in the Times had anything to do with Murdoch and Gove having dinner together a couple of weeks ago.

That’s a good point

MayBee70 Sat 19-Sep-20 16:03:00

CR39

I genuinely believe that Johnson thought he would be the second Churchill. It was never going to happen! If he really is short of cash he only has to write a book when he departs from number 10.

I think he thought all he had to do was come up with some good sound bites to be like Churchill. Little did he realise he would, like Churchill be leader when the country was in crisis.

suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 15:55:16

The 4 children with his 2nd wife are ages 21-27 The child he tried to hide with a court order is 11. Then there’s a baby apparently and maybe one other child and god knows how many maybes. Of course he can afford all these children - Tories believe in not having more children than you can afford.

growstuff Sat 19-Sep-20 15:54:16

Hmmm ... I don't suppose the article in the Times had anything to do with Murdoch and Gove having dinner together a couple of weeks ago.

growstuff Sat 19-Sep-20 15:51:08

Johnson earned over £800,000 in the last financial year, according to the official HoP site. He was paid over £100,000 for one after-dinner speech.

suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 15:49:39

?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Sep-20 14:52:28

Presumably he lives there rent free? Although I suppose it is a benefit in kind. I wonder what his net worth is?

MaizieD Sat 19-Sep-20 14:15:26

I read somewhere that he gets more income from writing columns for the Telegraph than he does from being PM.

I've seen extracts from the Times article. apparently, as a Telegraph columnist he earned £350,000 a year. He's had to take a considerable drop to £150,000 pa as PM. It's really bad because he has to pay maintenance for at least 4 children and is there some alimony?

Apparently its a real hardship to live in a Downing street flat; they only have a cleaner and can't afford to pay a nanny...

Alegrias Sat 19-Sep-20 13:26:42

CR39

I genuinely believe that Johnson thought he would be the second Churchill. It was never going to happen! If he really is short of cash he only has to write a book when he departs from number 10.

I agree CR39
I read somewhere that he gets more income from writing columns for the Telegraph than he does from being PM. If he can't live on that then I have even less sympathy for him. How can he possibly understand how ordinary people in this country live?

CR39 Sat 19-Sep-20 13:15:36

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Sep-20 13:09:33

Apparently he is struggling to make ends met as well.