Gransnet forums

News & politics

Scottish government Covid briefings on the BBC

(156 Posts)
Alegrias Fri 11-Sep-20 13:14:37

A thread on another topic kept straying into people's opinions about the Scottish Government's Covid briefings being dropped from the BBC schedules. It seemed to raise a lot of comment so I thought I'd start a new thread.

So, what does everyone think? Feel free to diverge into what you think of NS's performance smile Do you think the WM government should have more briefings?

lemongrove Fri 11-Sep-20 20:08:05

suziewoozie

lemon I see your posts are scraping the bottom of the barrel again

Whaaaaaat? ?
Perhaps somebody other than suziewoozie would care to say why my two posts above are ‘scraping the bottom of the barrel’ because all I can see is that I offered an opinion on perhaps why the BBC had stopped the broadcasts.It’s a guess, much as all other opinions on the matter are.
You should have gone to Specsavers I think suzie

lemongrove Fri 11-Sep-20 20:11:55

Parsley3

The briefings are informative and journalists are able to question the PM and her advisors. I like that. I would expect a FM of any political persuasion to take on the same responsibility.
Perhaps the English Grans can tell us if having no daily briefings made any difference to them.

Hi Parsley? Well, this English Gran hasn’t missed daily briefings at all, they had just become too repetitive in any case.
I follow the figures and what’s happening Covid wise online.

SueDonim Fri 11-Sep-20 20:27:48

Exactly, Callistemon re your 19:37 post. I admire for that, I’ll admit. grin

Alegrias Fri 11-Sep-20 20:38:00

Well seeing as you’re baffled I’ll explain it to you SueDonim.

The FM has admitted that she made mistakes and that she will take the criticism. That’s more than some leaders do, e.g. those who say everything will be fine by Christmas and that everything we do will be world beating. People aren’t unaware of the care homes situation, or of the initial lack of PPE, or anything else, but we see someone in charge who is doing their best in unprecedented circumstances and not pretending they know all the answers. Scots generally like that kind of thing.

Its not advice she’s giving, it’s the rules. Most of us obey them, not because we’re “sheeple”, but we understand that the government are trying to keep us alive.

And in closing, I find the term “sheeple” offensive and derogatory. It implies that the person its directed at is unable to reason and is easily led. As we’ve never met, I’ll just enlighten you. That’s not me. Maybe it’s someone who’s convinced the leader of our country doesn’t like Aberdonians?

Jane10 Sat 12-Sep-20 07:54:43

There is absolutely no reason at all for St Nicola to appear every day. Updates can easily be read by newsreaders just as they read every other item of news. No need whatsoever for personal presentation.
Elderly people can hear the latest updates in exactly the same way as they find out all the news and weather.
There's plenty of real work for Nicola to be getting on with in her day job.

Lucca Sat 12-Sep-20 08:04:18

I don’t wAtch regular briefings now. Is there still a daily one from the Westminster govt?

Elizabeth1 Sat 12-Sep-20 08:07:23

My DH has convinced me we’re going to cease to pay our BBC licence due to recent events. Our neighbour hasn’t pd one for years and manages tv programming within the law must find out what she does are there any others out there who don’t pay for a licence it’ll be interesting to hear your views. confused

lemongrove Sat 12-Sep-20 08:23:18

No Lucca and hasn’t been any ( daily briefings from WM) for some time.
It isn’t necessary.Just now and again there is one (if things change.)

MaizieD Sat 12-Sep-20 08:30:25

The TV licence isn't a 'BBC' licence, it's a licence to receive live television broadcasts on any receiving equipment (eg, includes live streaming on a computer). That actually means broadcasts from any television provider. Nor does it finance the BBC , it might have done in the 1930s but it's a complete fiction now.

So not paying it is a meaningless gesture. You're unlikely to be caught and prosecuted for non payment, though.

Firecracker123 Sat 12-Sep-20 09:17:07

The TV licence fee is collected by the BBC and primarily used to fund the radio, television and online services of the BBC itself. Licence fee collection is the responsibility of the BBC's Finance and Business division.
en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki › Televisi...
Television licensing in the United Kingdom -

MaizieD Sat 12-Sep-20 09:24:46

So they would like you to believe, Firecracker. It's nonsense.

Alegrias Sat 12-Sep-20 09:26:49

Elizabeth1 I looked at not paying my licence before, but it was so convoluted that I decided to stick with it. You do need it for any broadcast TV, even online. But you can get away with it if you only use Netflix for instance confused

It does fund the BBC though MaizieD, none of it goes elsewhere. The Licence Fee provides 76% of their funding, the rest comes from their commercial activity.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-51376255

Alegrias Sat 12-Sep-20 09:28:25

Oops, cross-post with Firecracker123 ! Its not nonsense, MaizieD.

Granny23 Sat 12-Sep-20 09:50:19

The relevant section of the BBC's Charter - Para 6.4 states:

*The BBC should bring people together for shared experiences and help contribute to the social
cohesion and wellbeing of the United Kingdom*

Whilst the BBC must adhere to regulations which govern the allocation of air time to political parties e.g. during a General Election, the same regulation is not applied when there is a binary question as in a referendum. As there charter binds them (as above) to promote the 'Cohesion and wellbeing of the UK, their bias must be in favour of what keeps the UK together and against anything which might lead to the breakup of the Union.

Callistemon Sat 12-Sep-20 10:27:50

There's plenty of real work for Nicola to be getting on with in her day job.
Jane10
It must take some considerable time to prepare for these daily briefings, which, as you say, could just as easily be done by someone else.
It must take ages to look so perfect. She's certainly no 'Slack Alice'!

Alegrias Sat 12-Sep-20 10:41:02

Thank you Granny23, I wasn't aware of that. It certainly explains some of the editorial decisions they make.

Although it says "social cohesion" of the UK, which isn't quite the same as the cohesion of the UK as an entity. I also noticed that the same paragraph says "raise awareness of the different cultures and alternative viewpoints that
make up its society."

Granny23 Sat 12-Sep-20 11:03:14

Surely in a time of National Crisis - the Pandemic - the First Minister's most important role is to be the voice of her Government and keep us all up to date with changes? Would you rather that announcements were made anonymously at 10 o'clock at night with no time for questions or comment?

If you must take the discussion down to the level of her dress style. would you rather our FM appeared looking as if she had just fallen out of bed and was hung over from the night before? (like some I could mention). I could also mention that according to polls Nicola's personal rating is + 50 whereas Boris has a rating of -50.

Finally when our FM is attracting praise from journalists and commentators worldwide is your response always to say "AH but....... and then detail some smaller problem which is yet to be solved or has already been dealt with? Have you no pride in the Country that is your home or its citizens?

Jane10 Sat 12-Sep-20 11:22:52

Fiona Bruce is also always presented. She could present any necessary updates just as well as Nicola.
Plenty for Nicola to be getting on with.

Alegrias Sat 12-Sep-20 11:34:28

Och Jane10 you're missing the point.

However good a news organisation is, they take editorial decisions about what they will present and how they will present it. Its a bit silly to say that they just read out the news!

A couple of years ago I complained to the BBC about Nick Robinson telling what I knew to be a lie on the news. Not a misunderstanding, not a misinterpretation, a lie. They did nothing about it. A few years later I watched an interview with him him saying that yes, he knew it wasn't "100% true" but it fitted his story.

Jane10 Sat 12-Sep-20 11:52:26

The SG could prepare a press release for newsreader to present. Easily done.

Alegrias Sat 12-Sep-20 12:01:20

Oh yes, because that's how it works.
Daft of us all not to have thought of it.

varian Sat 12-Sep-20 12:18:24

I do not support the SNP but I have to say that I was impressed with Nicola Sturgeon's daily reports. She seemed calm and measured, was prepared to admit that she did not know something, or they had not done well enough, even apologise. What a contrast with Johnson's pathetic performances.

I have heard that there have been many problems in Scotland, in relation to the pandemic and other things but Nicola Sturgeon is very good at presentation.

I suspect that the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation eventually obeyed government instructions to show us less of Nicola Sturgeon because she made Boris Johnson look bad by comparison.

Marydoll Sat 12-Sep-20 12:20:25

I like to listen to Jason Leitch and his no nonsense approach. Quite difficult to convey that in a press report. ?

Jane is this more about your obvious dislike of Saint Nicola , rather than the actual briefings? You don't actually have to listen to her.

Anyway, I have signed the petition to reverse the BBC's decision.
At least 35,000 people have signed the petition so far. So not everyone thinks the briefings should be axed.

Alegrias Sat 12-Sep-20 12:36:19

Jason's on Radio Scotland's football show right now. He's very good.

suziewoozie Sat 12-Sep-20 13:04:41

‘The SG could prepare a press release for newsreader to present. Easily done.‘

How delightfully North Korean/Russian/Belarusian/English