Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Queen and government

(38 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Sep-20 06:48:19

Johnson has already “tricked” the Queen into giving consent to proroguing parliament unlawfully. May lied to the Queen when she assured her of a majority, now we have a government intent on asking for royal assent to a bill which breaks international law.

The Tories care nothing for anything other than their own skins and money.

Grany Sat 26-Sep-20 19:20:00

The Royals don't even attract tourists The French Palace of Versailles and many other places are top tourist attractions People don't come here because of Royals.

varian Sat 26-Sep-20 18:28:05

I hope that last year's ruling that BJ lied to the Queen when he illegally prorogued parliament will give HM the power and authority to question any advice she might get from this charlatan.

She has worked with many PMs but Johnson is the only one who has been proved to have lied to her.

Luckygirl Sat 26-Sep-20 18:07:20

How could she endorse a law that breaks international law? If she does then we know for sure that she has no role other than a symbolic, tourist-attracting one.

Grany Sat 26-Sep-20 17:54:59

The Royal finance report came out and it is scandalous Republic are calling for the SG to be scrapped.

"What we have is a family taking advantage of their position (in relation) to public property. They're working out their own finances, doing their own books and then reporting their own finances - there needs to be independent scrutiny.

While most public spending is cut...

"All major expenditure areas have increased, from payroll (up £1.2m to £24.4m), to travel (up £700,000 to £5.3m), and housekeeping and hospitality (up £300,000 to £2.6m)."

“And they’re all at it. Thousands of pounds spent on junkets for Anne and Andrew, so they can attend sporting events. This is not public service, it’s daylight robbery.”

Since 2012 the core Sovereign Grant (which can never go down always up) has risen by £20m.Last year the Royal Household made an extra £20m from non-taxpayer-funded commercial exploitation of the state palaces which was added to the SG.But if it had been subtracted from the SG, it would have saved the taxpayer £20m

Grany Fri 18-Sep-20 19:38:18

You're welcome Parsley3

A new book by David McClure

The Queen's True Worth: Unravelling the public & private finances of Queen Elizabeth II Paperback – 17 Sept. 2020

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8737345/amp/The-Queens-400-million-fortune-Book-claims-Majestys-personal-wealth-50-million-higher.html?__twitter_impression=true

Parsley3 Fri 18-Sep-20 14:54:08

Thank you for that link grany. Quite the eye opener and it is difficult to defend the Royal reputation for graft when the numbers of hours worked is explained like that.
The Queen is very traditional so it is not likely that she will refuse consent. Charles might if given the chance.

biba70 Fri 18-Sep-20 13:56:49

So far, that was the case. However, if International Law is being broken- she would be 100% right to refuse her assent.

Grany Fri 18-Sep-20 13:44:00

The Queen can does have a say if laws going through parliament effect her private interests with privy council has influence as well as Charles and who lobbies the government for his own private interests.
When it come to the interests of her subjects always abiding by her PM so can't or won't speak out.

She has millions hidden in off shore accounts avoiding tax

biba70 Fri 18-Sep-20 13:03:37

she should insist on seeing him in person

Callistemon Fri 18-Sep-20 12:51:37

Is she still having an audience with the PM? Perhaps remotely.
A pity, she is one person who could probably make him squirm.

biba70 Fri 18-Sep-20 11:55:41

She never did - time for change. The Law and the British Word are currently being trashed, in Her Name - time she stopped it.

Anniebach Fri 18-Sep-20 11:52:50

The Queen never publicly gives her views on any government,

JessK Fri 18-Sep-20 11:44:05

I do wonder what would happen if and when Charles becomes King. I don't think he would be able to resist putting his views across and having his say in government proposals.

biba70 Fri 18-Sep-20 11:03:05

I truly feel sorry for our Queen- she must be totally ashamed and distressed by what is going on and the shenannigans, lies and Internationla Breaking of the Law and the British word.

In her twilight years, after her total and absolute dedication to Her Country - she must feel absolutely in despair. And I for one, hopes that she will break with the centuries of tradition, and stand up, and be counted - and refuse to be part of the lies and Law Breaking and destruction of the Trust in the UK. I really do.

Grany Fri 18-Sep-20 09:17:50

An effective, independent head of state can defend the rule of law and uphold standards in government. The Queen will simply look the other way and say ‘nothing to do with me guv’. #abolishthemonarchy

Barbados revives plan to remove Queen as head of state and become a republic

Rumours that Jamaica will be next as Barbados announces it will remove the Queen as head of state by November 2021

Wonder how many other former colonies have looked this story and wondered why in the 21st century they haven’t taken this stance?

NotSpaghetti Tue 15-Sep-20 00:05:30

Oops! Sorry.

NotSpaghetti Mon 14-Sep-20 23:18:23

This

Grany Mon 14-Sep-20 19:24:17

Yes the PM is useless shameful and shameless
He was exposed and shamed by Ed Miliband can't hopefully see him lasting much longer as PM

What can the Queen do to help in these situations nothing can only do what the PM asks of her.

I agree with paddyanne the greed of the RF

Hard working Royals?

m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=c5NpJnw7thY

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Sep-20 17:59:53

Johnson ran straight out of the chamber seconds after he was utterly exposed and shamed by
@Ed_Miliband
- didn’t want to hear any more.

Looked broken, weak and incompetent - head bowed, hands folded, muttering.

What an embarrassment for our country at such a critical time.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Sep-20 17:50:43

varian

The first time I heard Johnson speak on behalf of our country was at the closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympics in 2008. It was cringeibly embarrassing with a lot of nonsense about "giffgaff".

Every time I have heard him speak since he has sunk lower in my estimation. He is a blatant liar, a proven liar and I can never understand why anyone would ever believe a word he says.

But today he excelled himself . He cares nothing for truth. He cares nothing for honour, but what is so much worse is that this charlatan is our PM and cares nothing for the honour of the United Kingdom. He is utterly disgustng. I am ashamed to be British.

I absolutely agree.

varian Mon 14-Sep-20 17:48:39

The first time I heard Johnson speak on behalf of our country was at the closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympics in 2008. It was cringeibly embarrassing with a lot of nonsense about "giffgaff".

Every time I have heard him speak since he has sunk lower in my estimation. He is a blatant liar, a proven liar and I can never understand why anyone would ever believe a word he says.

But today he excelled himself . He cares nothing for truth. He cares nothing for honour, but what is so much worse is that this charlatan is our PM and cares nothing for the honour of the United Kingdom. He is utterly disgustng. I am ashamed to be British.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Sep-20 17:28:30

Miliband wiped the floor with Johnson

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Sep-20 17:26:09

Miliband offers to give way to Johnson so he can specify which clause addresses the 'threat' of a blockade

Pause

Johnson stays seated

Great, telling moment

NotSpaghetti Mon 14-Sep-20 17:22:09

Certainly my MP will vote with Johnson.

NotSpaghetti Mon 14-Sep-20 17:21:30

It's on the radio now. Very interesting. I hope they don't pass it but fear they will.