Gransnet forums

News & politics

We need action now as we have the benefit of hindsight

(105 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Sep-20 19:32:02

I fervently hope that Johnson will take the SAGE advise and introduce measures immediately.

He left it too lat last time with the result of thousand more deaths than necessary.

We can’t afford to dither, we have no test and trace system the only positive thing we can do is to introduce another form of lockdown.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 21-Sep-20 11:41:13

I think that the steer from the scientists is clear.

Action must be taken now.

biba70 Mon 21-Sep-20 12:00:00

Ah Maizie- you really did make me laugh- thanks.

Witzend Tue 22-Sep-20 12:31:19

One thing I wish they’d do - stricter enforcement of face masks. We were in France in July (drove via tunnel, no planes or airports) and the signs on shops and motorway services said masks were obligatory.

Here it’s usually, ‘Please wear a face covering’, and I’ve seen quite a few without. It’s just too easy for anyone who doesn’t feel like wearing one to say - if ever asked - that they’re exempt.
In my local corner shop it’s nearly always just me and the bloke on the till wearing one and I don’t believe for a moment that everybody else has some exempting condition - they just don’t want to or CBA to remember to take one.

Greta Tue 22-Sep-20 15:38:18

Witzend: One thing I wish they’d do - stricter enforcement of face masks. We were in France in July (drove via tunnel, no planes or airports) and the signs on shops and motorway services said masks were obligatory.

I agree. We can now be fined for not wearing a face mask but we don't seem to be able/willing to enforce this. I often see people in shops without masks. Bus drivers where I live certainly don't comment when passengers board the bus without masks. I wonder what drivers would do if a passenger refused to pay the fare and just sat down in the bus. Would that also just be ignored?