Gransnet forums

News & politics

So, did he go to Perugia incognito - or not?

(139 Posts)
biba70 Mon 21-Sep-20 12:21:25

Shame, if I had known he was so close to where we were on holiday, I would have gone to have 'a word' in his ear.

Pantglas2 Tue 22-Sep-20 08:17:24

WWMk2 - your post at 7:56.....an oxymoron surely?

I’ve gone back through my voting memory and can’t name one?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Sep-20 08:21:26

Pantglas2

WWMk2 - your post at 7:56.....an oxymoron surely?

I’ve gone back through my voting memory and can’t name one?

I know confusing isn’t it? Let me help with that..

A prime minister who has got sacked for lying twice, and “forgot” the lie he told only a day or two previously.

There are so many more.

Most previous PMs will have come nowhere near this one.

MaizieD Tue 22-Sep-20 08:27:49

It was a cut and paste from today’s DT- I find using links often results in them disappearing behind a paywall.

Jus a mention of the DT in your post would have been helpful.

Would you like a link to Westminster Cathedral, the Catholic Church or perhaps a Pope Francis too, to check apparently plausible refutations ?

Blimey. Did they all put out signed statements in support of Johnson's story? ?

Pantglas2 Tue 22-Sep-20 08:29:36

I agree that he’s dishonest - still struggling with an honest one....

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Sep-20 08:30:25

Pantglas2

I agree that he’s dishonest - still struggling with an honest one....

My point is that there are degrees of honesty.

Pantglas2 Tue 22-Sep-20 08:56:28

Nah, I’m afraid, it’s a bit like stealing for me, there are no degrees - £1 or £1 million, it’s all the same!

Almost like saying, I’m a little bit pregnant......

lemongrove Tue 22-Sep-20 09:02:35

Well.....you did your best whitewave but it wasn’t good enough?
You chose to believe the story because you wanted to....see the danger in that? When the sensible thing to do was to not bother to speculate ahead of the facts.
As I said at least twice before, it was a non story.

lemongrove Tue 22-Sep-20 09:06:13

MaizieD

It is our business, Jaberwok, he is PM and we are paying him. It is a time of national crisis, so what is he doing flying off for weekends in Italy with his Russian mate? Especially when the leaders of the devolved assemblies and the LOTO are asking to meet with him to co-ordinate planning. No COBRA meeting since May!!

However, you just keep your eyes shut and your fingers in your ears...

Another poster who likes to speculate ahead of the facts.

PECS Tue 22-Sep-20 09:12:29

lemongorve it is obvious you are, inexplicably, a fan of our dishonest PM.
Until I saw this thread I had no inkling of this "story" but it strikes me that if our PM was a half decent sort of chap that this nonsense would not have made it to print..in The Times no less! His history of deceit is his own doing and really he has only himself to blame..though I guess we could get into double bluff here.. maybe he or Domcum set it all up to discredit others & try to make the PM look good.... oh what larks! grin

trustgone4sure Tue 22-Sep-20 09:14:33

I think the press would have noticed and pictures of him would be all over the place.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Sep-20 09:17:08

PECS

lemongorve it is obvious you are, inexplicably, a fan of our dishonest PM.
Until I saw this thread I had no inkling of this "story" but it strikes me that if our PM was a half decent sort of chap that this nonsense would not have made it to print..in The Times no less! His history of deceit is his own doing and really he has only himself to blame..though I guess we could get into double bluff here.. maybe he or Domcum set it all up to discredit others & try to make the PM look good.... oh what larks! grin

My point exactly

lemongrove Tue 22-Sep-20 09:22:25

Lemongorve? Who that??

No PECS I am not a fan of Boris Johnson and have said so from before he was chosen as the new leader, in fact I hoped Jeremy Hunt would be the new leader and then PM.However I refuse to join in with silly stories and speculation that are presented as certainties on GN threads. If posters hadn’t wanted so very much for it to be true then they would have stopped and thought for a bit ( you’d think!)

lemongrove Tue 22-Sep-20 09:25:45

It was nonsense to be sure, but reading many posts on GN makes me realise that too many people are ready and hungry to gobble nonsense up.

Lexisgranny Tue 22-Sep-20 09:26:49

I would really love it it someone had the courage to say “we were wrong” without qualifying it or making excuses. After all you have called on the Prime Minister to do it. Yet again, double standards,

Lucca Tue 22-Sep-20 09:39:22

Sorry but I’d like Jabberwok to recognise that I for example did not join in the thread except to explain as MawB2 did how the error arose.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 22-Sep-20 09:43:35

Even his own party don't believe him because of his habit of lying.

trisher Tue 22-Sep-20 09:54:58

It's the "Boy who cried Wolf" surely Boris with his expensive education knows about that!!? Maybe his nanny wasn't as good as Rees Mogg's and didn't tell him stories.

PECS Tue 22-Sep-20 09:59:07

Ooops! Sorry lemongrove!

As I said I did not know about the accusation but as it was reported in an apparently reputable newspsper I think it understandable that a thread would occur.... like when Jezza apparently wore the wrong coatto the cenotaph..a non story!

biba70 Tue 22-Sep-20 10:05:34

The OP was not a statement, nor an accusation, but clearly written as a question. And yes, the constant lies over a long period of time by this PM, means that speculation will always be in the air- and in this case, due to his frequent visits to Russian Oligarchs in the Perugia region in the past.

I certainly hope, but doubt, sadly - that some of you watched Panorama last night- and thus realise how those connections, with our top banking institutions,, and links to PM and other senior politicians- is a very serious matter indeed. And probably the only reason why ERG wanted Brexit- to avoid scrutiny. Perugia or not is by the by.

Jaberwok Tue 22-Sep-20 10:24:17

No PM has been as dishonest!! Quote Mrs May: (several times) ' Brexit means Brexit '. It didn't!! 'No deal is better than a bad deal'!! It soon became obvious that for M.M it wasn't!! Compromise was the order of the day! That much did become very clear, so why not say so in the first place? D.C who was going to activate article 50 the day after the referendum! He didn't! Instead he ran away, so you can add political cowardice to an obvious lie! At least no one can accuse Boris of that!

Lucca Tue 22-Sep-20 10:26:03

No reply as per.

Lexisgranny Tue 22-Sep-20 10:39:21

biba70 I strongly object to your assumption that anyone opposing your views would not have watched Panorama. I make a point of watching most of the political discussions and documentary programmes, but with an open mind. I am currently what is generally known as a floating voter, but I do believe in fair play, something I have found sadly lacking in some of the posts here.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Sep-20 10:56:25

Panorama raised so many questions, but it simply adds more fuel to what we already aware of

Ben Scoble

“Russia Report
Tennis Matches
Donations
Chumocracy
Panama Papers
Brexit
Now FinCen

All just background noise?
For what?”

Sparklefizz Tue 22-Sep-20 11:35:43

5 pages of comments on an OP based on fake news! Johnson was having his child Christened at Westminster.

LauraNorder Tue 22-Sep-20 11:52:35

Several posters discredited on this thread. Makes serious political discussion difficult elsewhere.