Gransnet forums

News & politics

Uh Uh Harry ?

(556 Posts)
Calendargirl Wed 23-Sep-20 18:40:49

Oh Harry.

Please leave the political comments to Meghan.

Just keep it zipped

?

Grany Sat 10-Oct-20 12:54:40

You're Welcome Namsnanny Yes there are a good few videos on there to watch all interesting with something to learn.

Namsnanny Sat 10-Oct-20 11:59:45

Thanks grany I'll look forward to that!
Though judging by the above I shall have to set aside a good few hours to get through it all grin

Grany Wed 07-Oct-20 10:01:46

An extract covering Queen Victoria reign A polemic by Charies Bradlaugh
Her present Majesty, Alexandrina Victoria, was born May 24th, 1819, and ascended the throne June 20th, 1837, as representing her father, the Duke of Kent, fourth son of George HI. On February 10th, 1840, it being the general etiquette for the Brunswick family to intermarry amongst themselves, she was married to her cousin, Prince Albert of Saxe Coburg, who received an allowance from the nation of £30,000, to compensate him for becoming the husband of his wife. The Queen, more sensible than others of the arduous position of a Prince Consort, wished her loyal husband to have £100,000 a year. The Government reduced this to £50,000; Joseph Hume and the Radicals reduced it still further to £30,000. For this annual payment the Prince undertook to submit to naturalization, to be the first subject in England, to reside rent free in the Royal Palaces repaired at the cost of the nation. He also, on his own account, and for his own profit, attended to various building speculations at the West End of London, and died very rich. He is known as Prince Albert the Good. His goodness is marked—not by parks given to the people, as in the case of Sir Francis Crossley; not by improved dwellings for the people, as in the case of George Peabody; not by a large and costly market place, freely given, as in the case of Miss Burdett Coutts—Peeress without her patent of Baroness;—but by statues erected in his honor in many cities and boroughs by a loyal people. As an employer of labor, the Prince's reputation for generosity is marked solely by these statues. As a Prince, he felt in his lifetime how much and how truly he was loved by his people; and at a dinner given to the Guards, Prince Albert, in a speech probably not revised beforehand, told the household troops how he relied on them to protect the throne against any assaults. The memory of the Prince is dear to the people; he has left us nine children to keep out of the taxpayers' pockets, his own large private accumulations of wealth being inapplicable to their maintenance.

In 15 years of her reign there has been a massive increase in paupers in England and Wales and Ireland.

And so it continues with our present Queen She did not pay tax for the first 40 years of her reign and only voluntarily She does not pay hereditary tax exempt from corporation tax even though the Duchy is run like a business giving them an unfair advantage. Then has huge increase in Sovereign Grant Royal Family are spending more Johnson could have reduced this the Queen didn't offer a reduction. She keeps her investments in offshore accounts. And cannot intervene when Johnson is breaking the law, or when this government is giving billions for test and trace to their mates private companies that do not deliver no she does not or cannot step in to stop this.

And
So many Bills before Parliament now contain provisions to place the state, ministers and/or its agents outside or beyond the law

1. Internal Market Bill
2. Overseas Operations Bill
3. Covert Human Intelligence Souces Bill

This is not normal

The House of Lords is a joke. The fundamental principle of democracy is that those who make our laws do so with our consent. Time for a fully elected parliament.

Former England cricketer Ian Botham has just been sworn into the House of Lords.

What are your thoughts?

Coincidentally I have a video out on Thursday pointing out how poor our constitution is and making the point on how easy it is to attack our rights. youtube.com/c/RepublicCampaign

Jaberwok Tue 06-Oct-20 19:35:22

I don't think that retiring is in her thoughts! Nobody wants their pound of flesh from anyone least of all HM, but we do admire her and wish her well whatever she may decide.

Sparklefizz Tue 06-Oct-20 18:50:25

For all we know she may keep thinking about retiring and then another family disaster will crop up, and she might then feel that she can't - eg. Andrew, H & M, and now Covid.

merlotgran Tue 06-Oct-20 18:45:58

All you royalists really want your pound of flesh from her don't you.

Not me, trisher. I think she should have handed over to Charles when Philip retired.

She was a very young woman when she made the vow to serve her country all her life and couldn't possible have known how much the world would change.

We'll have to stick with things the way they are now though, unless she dies because the monarchy is very much on hold while coronavirus calls the shots.

Jaberwok Tue 06-Oct-20 18:31:21

That's where you and I would have to agree to differ. I admire th Queen tremendously, always have, perhaps due to Coronation day and that bun!! There aren't many people in high places who keep promises or who remain steadfast for 67 minutes never mind years! I see her as a beacon of stability in a very unstable world, and will be very sad when she she goes.

maddyone Tue 06-Oct-20 17:16:01

Sadly I think you’re right Jaberwok, she won’t retire or abdicate because of the promise she made. She could very well live into her 100s as her mother did. However I think having a Head of State in her 90s or even 100s is ridiculous, even though she is absolutely marvellous for her age, much more able than my mother who is 92, and she’s pretty good for her age.
Anyway it doesn’t make any difference what any of us think, Queen Elizabeth will do exactly as she wants to, and she wants to be our monarch for her whole life, whether it’s long or short, as she promised in church on her coronation day.

Jaberwok Tue 06-Oct-20 16:25:50

That's exactly right Calendergirl. The QM never had any position in her own right,only through her husband the King. Once he died her position died too. The Queens is hers by right until she dies unless she were to abdicate, which she won't why should she? There's only been one in a thousand years, I can't imagine HM will make it two!! George 111rd was king until he died even though he was mentally unfit for years. Prinny was only the Regent until the poor old king drew his last breath. Regent is the best Charles can hope for, as for certain he won't be king till his mother dies.

Anniebach Tue 06-Oct-20 16:11:51

The Queen is not there to be trotted out

Calendargirl Tue 06-Oct-20 16:01:14

But the QM wasn’t the Queen Trisher.
She was only Queen Consort because her husband became king. She’d have remained plain old Duchess of York if Edward V111 hadn’t abdicated.

Our present Queen would still have ended up as Queen though.

trisher Tue 06-Oct-20 15:54:06

Is age the excuse when any of us retire? Isn't it normal to move on in life? The Queen Mum was probably the most popular royal, yet in later life she did very little except drink and gamble. Freed from her duties HMQ could follow her horses, spend time doing things she enjoys. She could still be trotted out on the odd state occasion if she fancied it. All you royalists really want your pound of flesh from her don't you.

Anniebach Tue 06-Oct-20 12:56:07

Why should she step down ? She doesn’t travel abroad now and has to sit down for trouping the colour , she is quite capable of carrying out her duties as monarch.

Seems republicans are using her age as a excuse .

Grany Tue 06-Oct-20 12:55:31

I think the one reason, though I know made promise, she has kept going as head of state is she knows she is popular people respect her more than Charles. He doesn't keep out of politics lobbied for own interests letters eventually made public show this. She will prob keep going as long as able to keep the monarchy stable. Different when PC is or isn't king

Though I think at her age or earlier she should have handed over But much better if we could have a say choosing our Head of State instead of from one family Charles Charles Charles or Charles

Sparklefizz Tue 06-Oct-20 12:34:13

The RF are all great users of homeopathy, maddyone.

maddyone Tue 06-Oct-20 12:32:54

Well I don’t particularly want a republic because I can see the advantages and the disadvantages to both systems, but I feel sorry for Charles, who has waited so long for his assigned role in life. Plus she’s already very old, although apparently in excellent health, but the only way is down now. She is truly amazing for her age, but I wonder how many more would be in such good health if they had lived the life she has lived. It can’t just be genes because Prince Philip is the same. The only ones who die younger are the ones who smoked, Princess Margaret and the Queen’s father.

Ellianne Tue 06-Oct-20 12:24:29

I think it would be very sad to see the Queen coming out of isolation looking frail and doddery. She has always appeared sprightly for her age, immaculately turned out and mentally alert. Any less than that would surely not be acceptable to her.

Oopsminty Tue 06-Oct-20 12:21:29

Nobody wants the Queen to abdicate!

Apart from those who'd rather not have a RF

Jaberwok Tue 06-Oct-20 12:20:26

Why on earth would she do that? She walks without a stick, she rides out regularly, she's not mentally impaired and there's no one apart from republicans who want her to!

maddyone Tue 06-Oct-20 12:16:25

Very true trisher.

trisher Tue 06-Oct-20 11:48:21

As far as HMQ's promise goes it could be that the country would be best served by her stepping down, so it would be entirely in keeping with it. It is a wise person who realises when it is time to let go and allows things to move on.

Namsnanny Tue 06-Oct-20 11:42:55

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8798873/Trevor-Phillips-compares-Prince-Harry-1980s-polytechnic-lecturer.html

Grany Tue 06-Oct-20 09:04:01

Campaigners hail Harry and Meghan’s ‘powerful’ message on racism in UK

amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/oct/02/campaigners-hail-harry-meghan-powerful-message-structural-racism-uk?__twitter_impression=true

Does Queen Elizabeth Pay Her Fair Share of Taxes?

www.townandcountrymag.com/society/money-and-power/amp34242784/queen-elizabeth-royal-family-tax-breaks/?__twitter_impression=true

Jaberwok Mon 05-Oct-20 19:26:29

The 1937 regency act states clearly that to declare the monarch incapable of performing royal functions is quite a performance. Being seated for the trooping would not be even remotely a reason, as this duty can be carried out perfectly competently either sitting on a horse,or in a carriage

Jaberwok Mon 05-Oct-20 18:58:29

Fair enough maddyone! I was 10 at the coronation and remember it very well! Filthy wet cold day and hours of telly!!
I remember in the evening being taken by my stepfather to the bun tbrowing from the Town Hall , and a whole Ox being roasted in the market square. You queued for a slice of said beef and put it in the bun you'd caught and ate it!!! The crowds were enormous or so it seemed! and the cheering never seemed to stop!! I was also given a silver 5/- coin, a coronation mug, and a model of the royal coach complete with horses with the new Queen and Prince Phillip inside! Truly a day to remember!