Gransnet forums

News & politics

Government by Decree

(125 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Sep-20 08:44:36

The Tory 1922 chairman along with many other Tory backbenchers are becoming alarmed at what they describe “government by decree”.

At the beginning of the covid crises, the government gave itself powers to pass legislation and make decisions without parliamentary scrutiny.

This is coming up for review and Sir Graham Brady is arguing that parliament which is sovereign should be consulted over future legislation.

Johnson/Cummings is arguing that parliament should be dismissed and government by decree should continue.

For autocratic governments and others this crises has been a huge opportunity to grab power.

Johnson’s government is one of them.

Grany Thu 01-Oct-20 20:21:38

EU taking legal action against U.K. For breaking the withdrawal agreement

varian Thu 01-Oct-20 14:08:21

Coronavirus Act: UK has been ‘governed by decree’ since March, warns Lord Sumption

inews.co.uk/news/politics/coronavirus-act-uk-2020-brady-amendment-vote-governed-decree-lord-sumption-666924

Grany Wed 30-Sep-20 20:07:15

weownit.org.uk/lords-NHS-trade-bill-petition

Grany Wed 30-Sep-20 20:01:50

It's absolutely vital our NHS is protected from trade deals with Trump USA Last chance to save it

www.instagram.com/p/CFr0r2pILtz/?igshid=fzpy45inlr2a

suziewoozie Wed 30-Sep-20 15:42:54

I saw the clip - I don’t believe for one minute that anything will change. Fine words, parsnips etc, proof of pudding, eating. Why do you think the Tories wanted him as speaker? Plus ça change.

Dinahmo Wed 30-Sep-20 14:43:39

Here's an excerpt of Lindsay Hoyle's speech. I don't think he was gutless i this instance.

Hoyle accused the government of treating the Commons with “contempt” in relation to coronavirus restrictions. He said:

The way in which the government has exercised its power to make secondary legislation during this crisis has been totally unsatisfactory.

All too often important statutory instruments have been published a matter of hours before they come into force and some explanations as to why important measures have come into effect before they can be laid before this house has been unconvincing and shows a total disregard for the house ...

As I hope my early comments show I have not taken this decision lightly. I am looking to the government to remedy a situation I regard as completely unsatisfactory.

I am now looking to the government to rebuild the trust with this house and not treat it with the contempt that it has shown.

He explained why he would not allow votes on amendments in the debate on the Coronavirus Act tonight. He said:

When I became Speaker I made it clear that I would take decisions on matters relating to procedures guided by professional advice.

I have concluded on the basis of advice that I received that any amendment to the motion before the house risks giving rise to uncertainty about the decision the house has taken.

This then risks decisions that are rightly the responsibility of parliament ultimately being determined by the courts.

Updated at 1.21pm BST

suziewoozie Wed 30-Sep-20 13:03:30

So gutless Hoyle has ridden to the rescue of the Government. Quelle surprise.

Elegran Wed 30-Sep-20 12:58:34

The case was in won the Scottish courts against using prorogation as a political weapon. Johnson, Cummings et al now wish to review and probably curtail the freedom of the Scottish legal system so that they are not restricted by mere legality. They are getting rid of opposition.

The thin end of the wedge is being used against the basic priciple that everyone, from the lowest to the highest (including those proposing the laws and those making them) is subject to law.

suziewoozie Wed 30-Sep-20 12:49:01

I wonder what the Speaker will do re the Brady amendment? My guess is that he’ll temporarily save Johnson’s skin by rejecting it. I don’t rate him at all

suziewoozie Wed 30-Sep-20 12:47:06

grow I think it’s being said that there were only 6-8 genuine abstentions - May, Cox, Noakes for deffo. The ‘rebels’ always melt away as self interest /Party always is paramount.

Elegran Wed 30-Sep-20 12:44:30

It took centuries to establish the rights of parliament in representing the rights of the common man. The previous speaker fought hard for parliament. That is part of the speaker's job and and it is good to hear that the present one is not ignoring the encroachment. More power to his elbow.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Sep-20 12:36:52

Speaker stated that Johnson is treating parliament with contempt.

Like Cummings/ Johnson cares.

MaizieD Wed 30-Sep-20 10:11:30

MaizieD

growstuff

Apparently, Theresa May intends to vote against the Internal Market Bill later today. If she does, I wonder if she'll have the Conservative whip removed.

Much as I disliked her I recognise that that must be a huge thing for her to do and I think the better of her for it. (Assuming she sticks to it, of course)

I wonder if there are any tory MPs with principles left who will join her?

I don't have to revise my opinion! She abstained. Party won over principles, as it has done all the way with her.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Sep-20 09:11:52

MrsRochester

Whitewavemark2

“A real fight taking place between Cummings and parliament, in the form of a set of Tory rebels. “

Indeed, though with both sides of the argument equally loathsome, wonder where that will leave us plebs when the dust settles?

I know, but I do support parliamentary sovereignty however much I loath those in parliament.

Once lost who knows if we will ever get it back?

MrsRochester Wed 30-Sep-20 09:02:16

Whitewavemark2

“A real fight taking place between Cummings and parliament, in the form of a set of Tory rebels. “

Indeed, though with both sides of the argument equally loathsome, wonder where that will leave us plebs when the dust settles?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Sep-20 08:33:25

A real fight taking place between Cummings and parliament, in the form of a set of Tory rebels.

They are not happy. Cummings has a problem on his hands and the way he plays it will set the future for Johnson.

growstuff Tue 29-Sep-20 15:14:54

None of them will want to force a new election, especially at the moment. I have a feeling they know that Gove wouldn't be popular with voters, so they need to get behind their own candidate if they're going to bring Johnson down.

growstuff Tue 29-Sep-20 15:10:19

Thus is the full list of those who abstained, although they weren't necessarily against the Bill. Theresa May had a prior engagement and Owen Paterson was dealing with the inquest into his wife's suicide:

And a total of 30 Conservative MPs abstained:
Stuart Andrew – Pudsey
Crispin Blunt – Reigate
Karen Bradley – Staffordshire Moorlands
Sir Graham Brady – Altrincham and Sale West
Rehman Chishti – Gillingham and Rainham
Sir Christopher Chope – Christchurch
Mr Geoffrey Cox – Torridge and West Devon
Jackie Doyle-Price – Thurrock
Mr Tobias Ellwood – Bournemouth East
Dr Liam Fox – North Somerset
George Freeman – Mid Norfolk
Richard Graham – Gloucester
Stephen Hammond – Wimbledon
Sir Oliver Heald – North East Hertfordshire
James Heappey – Wells
Damien Hinds – East Hampshire
Simon Hoare – North Dorset
Sajid Javid – Bromsgrove
Sir Edward Leigh – Gainsborough
Jack Lopresti, Jack – Filton and Bradley Stoke
Tim Loughton – East Worthing and Shoreham
Theresa May – Maidenhead
Sir Robert Neill – Bromley and Chislehurst
Owen Paterson – North Shropshire
Julien Smith – Skipton and Ripon
Dr Ben Spencer – Runnymede and Weybridge
John Stevenson – Carlisle
Sir Gary Streeter – South West Devon
Sir Charles Walker – Broxbourne
Jeremy Wright – Kenilworth and Southam

Few of them are also in the latest "rebel" group.

growstuff Tue 29-Sep-20 14:53:25

The only names I can see in both groups are Bob Neill, Charles Walker (who's Chair of the 1922 Committee, so not to be messed with) and Roger Gale.

There might be more.

growstuff Tue 29-Sep-20 14:50:17

Two voted against: Roger Gale and Andrew Percy.

The names I know who abstained include:

Sajid David, Geoffrey Cox, Jeremy Wright, Karen Bradley, Simon Hoare, Toby Ellwood, Charles Walker, Bob Neill

growstuff Tue 29-Sep-20 14:42:26

MaizieD

I don't think they are, suzie, but growstuff will know grin

I wondered that too. I don't think they are.

MaizieD Tue 29-Sep-20 14:33:54

I don't think they are, suzie, but growstuff will know grin

suziewoozie Tue 29-Sep-20 14:15:57

grow in my naivety I might think that people who cared about the rule of law might care about parliamentary sovereignty - have you any idea if any of the rebels supposedly supporting the latter are generally the same people who support the former?

growstuff Tue 29-Sep-20 12:54:29

30 Tories abstained and 2 voted against the Bill originally. I don't suppose May is too bothered if she loses the whip, but it will be interesting to see if any others will follow her.

PS. Jeremy Hunt has been very quiet recently.

MaizieD Tue 29-Sep-20 12:22:30

growstuff

Apparently, Theresa May intends to vote against the Internal Market Bill later today. If she does, I wonder if she'll have the Conservative whip removed.

Much as I disliked her I recognise that that must be a huge thing for her to do and I think the better of her for it. (Assuming she sticks to it, of course)

I wonder if there are any tory MPs with principles left who will join her?