Gransnet forums

News & politics

Government by Decree

(124 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Sep-20 08:44:36

The Tory 1922 chairman along with many other Tory backbenchers are becoming alarmed at what they describe “government by decree”.

At the beginning of the covid crises, the government gave itself powers to pass legislation and make decisions without parliamentary scrutiny.

This is coming up for review and Sir Graham Brady is arguing that parliament which is sovereign should be consulted over future legislation.

Johnson/Cummings is arguing that parliament should be dismissed and government by decree should continue.

For autocratic governments and others this crises has been a huge opportunity to grab power.

Johnson’s government is one of them.

Dinahmo Fri 25-Sep-20 09:12:24

Nothing surprises me about this govt's attempts to "take back control" . I can only hope that more people get to realise what Johnson and Cummings are trying to do.

M0nica Fri 25-Sep-20 09:44:20

I doubt any current government or challenger government could resist the opportunity.

At least there are MPS, both in government and in opposition who are prepared to resist such attempts.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 25-Sep-20 10:00:39

Its called a dictatorship.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Sep-20 10:29:56

M0nica

I doubt any current government or challenger government could resist the opportunity.

At least there are MPS, both in government and in opposition who are prepared to resist such attempts.

There is nothing they can do if their majority can be scuppered in the vote to continue.

As far as I am aware the only other government governing by decree in Europe is Hungary.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Sep-20 10:30:46

Cannot!

biba70 Fri 25-Sep-20 12:20:18

All MPs who believe we must uphold Parliamentary Democracy must stand up NOW - and oppose all attempts to undermine Parliament. From all sides, and Tories first. Increasingly, good, passionate Tories are seeing what is happening to the Country, and to their Party- and have to have the guts to stand up to the destructive bullies aka Dictators, led by Cummings and ERG.

Franbern Fri 25-Sep-20 12:27:11

Yes, what is happening in this country (and I do not mean Corona), is terrifying me about the future.

biba70 Fri 25-Sep-20 12:33:59

In our family and circle of friends in the UK- we are very much the left fringe. Speaking to many of them in the last couple of weeks- who voted both for Brexit and Johnson- they are totally dismayed, embarrassed, ashamed even - these are people who have been Tories for generations.

They are very upset about the way they have been lied to about Brexit, and the handling of Covid. They voted for a Deal - would have never ever even considered voting for No Deal- especially when combined to the financial and business catastrophy of Covid. Unlike a few here who say they voted for OUT whatever the consequences, for blue passports and Rule Britannia, and to get rid of some immigrants.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Sep-20 12:46:11

Yes I don’t know many brexiters but I am really surprised at how they are so worried and dismayed over the way it is all working out. They never in their wildest nightmares imagined a no deal and some have got businesses that are clinging on by their teeth. Brexit will finish them off they say.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Sep-20 12:47:25

Back to the topic? is there going to be a debate today about the government by decree? I must try to find out if no one knows

biba70 Fri 25-Sep-20 12:58:48

Good question- but I'd say the above comments were very much on topic.

However, as said on the KS thread- it is becoming clearer by the day that the First Past the Post system in the UK which leads to a 2 Party State- just has to change. Both the right and the left go from the sublime to the ridiculous - and both from just right or left of middle to the extreme extremities - at both ends.

varian Fri 25-Sep-20 14:12:50

Unfortunately FPTP in the UK has mostly led to a one party state, and so many of that party's representatives will do nothing to prevent the drift to dictatorship.

biba70 Fri 25-Sep-20 14:29:32

It is the Labour Party's constant in fighting that is causing the one party state- if they united and formed intelligent and sound coalitions with others- they would beat the Tories hands down. If the Left refuses to unite- they will lose again, despite the disastrous and catastrophic behaviour of the Tories.

MaizieD Fri 25-Sep-20 14:30:46

I often wonder if MPs actually understand the history of how our constitution developed; the importance of the Civil war; the meaning of 'separation of powers' and the meaning of 'the rule of law'. I realise that most 'ordinary' people don't have much, if any, of an idea of the significance of these facets of our constitution but surely MPs should be familiar with them. And surely they should care about doing the best for the whole country, not just for their 'voters' and their party?

As it is, the tory sheep from the last GE seem to be intent on pissing away the supremacy of Parliament with huge enthusiasm.

Jaberwok Fri 25-Sep-20 19:26:18

But we weren't asked whether we wanted a deal or not! We were just asked Whether IN or OUT, deal or no deal wasn't mentioned, so surely people must have realised that No Deal could well be on the cards! 'No Deal is better than a bad deal', it couldn't have been plainer, so why the shock and outrage?!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Sep-20 19:31:25

Jaberwok

But we weren't asked whether we wanted a deal or not! We were just asked Whether IN or OUT, deal or no deal wasn't mentioned, so surely people must have realised that No Deal could well be on the cards! 'No Deal is better than a bad deal', it couldn't have been plainer, so why the shock and outrage?!

Selective memory I think it is called.

varian Fri 25-Sep-20 19:31:48

Many were persuaded to vote leave because they were told that "we held all the cards" and "it would be the easiest deal in history" and "we could spend a lot more money on the NHS" and numerous other lies. You may not have believed thease lies Jabber but many leave voters did.

Jaberwok Fri 25-Sep-20 19:49:17

On come on! most intelligent people have heard of vote catching and know not to believe politicians 100%! N.I for a start was clearly going to be very tricky, not to mention Gibraltar! So to believe it was going to be a breeze was naive to say the least!

varian Fri 25-Sep-20 19:54:25

Unfortunately there are many unintelligent and naive voters. That is why we're in this mess.

biba70 Fri 25-Sep-20 19:56:55

How dishonest can anyone be?

My Conservative voting family and friends are NOT naïve, and NOT stupid. they voted for what they were promised, a great Deal and close cooperation with our closed allies in the EU.

MaizieD Fri 25-Sep-20 19:57:33

Sorry, but what has this to do with government by decree?

We've had the arguments over the referendum.

Can we look at this very serious threat to our constitution and our democracy?

biba70 Fri 25-Sep-20 19:57:57

Jaberwork, have you got a solution for NI and Gibraltar- by any chance?

MaizieD Fri 25-Sep-20 19:59:25

Though it's tempting to take up on Jabberwok's naive post... Another thread perhaps?

Jaberwok Fri 25-Sep-20 20:07:34

I'm happy with No Deal if all else fails and I always have been, if I weren't then I wouldn't have voted to leave as it was always on the cards when the politicians were vying for votes!