Gransnet forums

News & politics

"Has the BBC completely lost the plot"

(17 Posts)
sparklingsilver28 Sun 27-Sep-20 13:36:19

What for you is most irrelevant about BBC reporting as a result of Covid-19 pandemic?

Andrew Marr and FOOTBALL interview with Oliver Dowden, Culture Secretary, this morning. Who on earth in a national crisis gives priority to a game?

suziewoozie Sun 27-Sep-20 13:47:31

Money

Jane10 Sun 27-Sep-20 13:51:00

Unaccountable as it may seem to me, football is extremely important to a great many men people. Maybe it's a matter of public morale?

kittylester Sun 27-Sep-20 13:56:14

What jane said. I have a husband, 2 sons, 2 daughters and 3 dgc who are eager to get football back to something like normal.

Jaxjacky Sun 27-Sep-20 14:15:05

Football for some and I include myself is a welcome diversion from the incessant mayhem.

MawB2 Sun 27-Sep-20 14:21:50

Oliver Dowden is Culture Secretary and his remit includes Premiership Football as much as the Royal Opera House.
Pity he hasn’t been able to give the Arts more of a helping hand though

NannyC2 Sun 27-Sep-20 15:42:37

Many people enjoy football, including myself!

Spangler Sun 27-Sep-20 15:51:18

Football, Pah! Did you know, when 1966 world cup hero, George Cohen went to Australia in 2003 to see his nephew, Ben Cohen, playing in the Rugby World Cup, he said that he did something that he had never done at a football stadium.

When young Ben went swallow diving over the touch line for a try, George, with many others, stood up, arms aloft, and cheered. So did I. Footballers, a bunch of overpaid woosies.

eazybee Sun 27-Sep-20 17:21:03

I heard AM this morning and I agree with you, Sparkling silver; not a national crisis.
However sport generates a lot of money (for a few) and some employment, and it seems that our economy rests unhealthily on hospitality and entertainment, things that are not essential and can easily be forfeited, rather than manufacture, trade and services.

Urmstongran Sun 27-Sep-20 17:35:15

Money. Jobs.

Callistemon Sun 27-Sep-20 17:37:50

sparklingsilver28

*What for you is most irrelevant about BBC reporting as a result of Covid-19 pandemic?*

Andrew Marr and FOOTBALL interview with Oliver Dowden, Culture Secretary, this morning. Who on earth in a national crisis gives priority to a game?

I'm sure I could find something even more irrelevant sparklingsilver ⚽️

Like people who were incessantly whingeing on TV that their week on the Costa had been cancelled. As if it was the end of the world. ?

As Sir Matt Busby said:
"Some people say football is a matter of life and death, they’re wrong. It’s far more important than that"

I can take it or leave it.

EllanVannin Sun 27-Sep-20 17:49:24

I remember football when it used to be a sport and not a money-making racket as it is today !

sparklingsilver28 Mon 28-Sep-20 14:06:23

As child I enjoyed hopscotch. But as a serious issue in a crisis I think not!

Maggiemaybe Mon 28-Sep-20 14:33:23

Well it is a major leisure activity, and very important to many people (not me, btw, though I am the proud manager of a spectacularly poorly performing Fantasy Football team currently holding solid rock bottom place in their league).

Of course football's big business as well, and because of that there are numerous jobs relying on it. Only a very small percentage of them are highly paid players.

Spangler Mon 28-Sep-20 15:01:23

Of course, if you are lucky enough, you can be captain of England's football team and when you retire from active sport you can present the BBC's sport's program. As George Cole might say: "Nice little earner."

Callistemon Mon 28-Sep-20 15:09:26

I think Andrew Marr and Oliver Dowden are due to discuss the worrying issues with the Hopscotch League next week ? sparklingsilver

Furret Mon 28-Sep-20 15:10:26

It’s a bit like golf. Seemingly intelligent individuals find it fascinating enough to sit glued to the screen or chase a little ball around a field.

Don’t ‘get it’ myself but there you are.