Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does this mean none of us can go to France/Germany/Spain /Italy etc etc

(113 Posts)
vickymeldrew Tue 29-Sep-20 04:32:45

On 31st December 2020 the transition period expires and Britain will be divorced from Europe. Reciprocal healthcare arrangements will cease.
We are told to purchase travel insurance, but cover for Covid 19 is very scarce. Importantly, if the advice from the Foreign Office remains ‘advises against non-essential travel’ then this invalidates policies anyway.
Has anyone any idea what the solution is ?

Dinahmo Tue 29-Sep-20 23:52:50

Callistemon

^but it does cover all medical emergency costs- including dialysis- you just have to ensure that you go to a State hospital and not private.^

Surely someone on dialysis would need that regularly, not as emergency treatment?

I can't imagine anyone having regular dialysis wanting to go on holiday in the EU - perhaps a couple of days in the UK between treatments? A friend was going for dialysis for three or four days a week and each session took up most of the day with hospital transport.

An old school friend developed kidney problems whilst in her early 20s. She had dialysis for several years and later a transplant. Eventually the transplant failed and she had to go back on dialysis.

They bought a holiday home in Lot et Garonne because they knew she would not be able to travel to different places.
In the early stages she used to go back to England twice a week for dialysis. Later her unit bought a portable dialysis machine for use by "their" patients. I remember arriving at their house the day before they were returning to the UK and she was in bed dialysing. A storm started and there was the possibility of a power cut. Her husband showed us what to do in that event. It was to hold up the tubes which were draped around the room so that her blood would flow back into her body.

Eventually a twenty four hour unit was opened in Agen and she would go 2 or 3 times a week, usually around 10.00pm. This was covered by the EH1C.

She died in her mid fifties, having also suffered from hepatitis, caught from tainted blood during a transfusion.

She was one of the bravest, if not THE bravest person I have known. She didn't let her ill health stop her from doing what she loved, which was visiting their house in France.

MissChateline Tue 29-Sep-20 21:06:51

Whoops “gibbering” wreck

MissChateline Tue 29-Sep-20 21:00:29

"I honestly feel that anyone who travels anywhere until there is a vaccine against corona needs there head examined. It just isn't worth the risk!"

Somewhat harsh I think. Life has to go on.

We can’t spend the rest of our lives hiding behind our front doors. We have to learn to live with this. So far since March I’ve been to London on several occasions from Yorkshire to stay with my eldest daughter and family, flights to Spain to stay with friends, Norfolk to see my aged father at least 3 times and my younger daughter about an hours drive away most weekends when I’m here. I go to my nearest city shopping and go walking with friends. What is not safe? I maintain basic mask, hands and space etc but will not be terrified into a gibbing wreck and not get on with my life.

Please get a grip on sanity and get on with life.

MawB2 Tue 29-Sep-20 19:54:57

Well, that's just tough on you then, isn't it MawB2.

I'm always amazed at how people are willing to jump in and tell other posters off. They're like bossy little girls in Primary school

So you do recognise the trait then?
Pots, Kettles etc..

MaizieD Tue 29-Sep-20 18:45:54

MawB2

MaizieD

biba is a British citizen, GG13. (I don't know if she has dual nationality). As such, any rights she has as an EU citizen in her present country of residence will lapse after 31/12/20

I think Biba is more than able to speak for herself and her country of residence which is not as it happens part of the EU
So I fail to see the relevance of your post MaizieD

Well, that's just tough on you then, isn't it MawB2.

I'm always amazed at how people are willing to jump in and tell other posters off. They're like bossy little girls in Primary school.

Dancinggran Tue 29-Sep-20 18:41:59

Please remember that travel insurance does not just cover you for healthcare required in case of illness or accidents. At the age of 55 my husband collapsed and died at the airport in Crete. The first thing the rep said when she was brought to me was 'please tell me you have insurance'. It was an unexpected traumatic event and one I hope none of you experience, we did have insurance but the rep said she had dealt with many people in the same situation who didn't think they'd need it.

KaEllen Tue 29-Sep-20 18:34:41

"I honestly feel that anyone who travels anywhere until there is a vaccine against corona needs there head examined. It just isn't worth the risk!"

Bit harsh, GrandtanteJE65, isn't it?

My mother, in a nursing home in Germany, has her 90th birthday coming up, and you bet I will go. Flying out rather than driving, so as to avoid the quarantine on my return. Once I am there I will just walk into a testing center (there's one at the airport) and get a Covid test; you could not do that here for love or money. A couple of days later I will be able to see her.

I tell you who needs their head examining - Bumbling Boris and his Cronies, who have mismanaged both the Covid and the Brexit thing from beginning to end.

MaizieD Tue 29-Sep-20 18:24:21

vegansrock

This is one reason who so many Brits ( with Irish ancestry) have applied for Irish passports.

Including a number who voted Leave!!

Hypocrisy of the highest order...

vegansrock Tue 29-Sep-20 18:07:05

This is one reason who so many Brits ( with Irish ancestry) have applied for Irish passports.

Callistemon Tue 29-Sep-20 17:24:14

Illte

And I do hate that hysterical over dramatisation?

"Does this mean none of us can go to Italy, France, blah, blah"

Er, no.

I'll shut up now.

Our neighbours are off to somewhere on Saturday. (Greece?)
They have taken out travel insurance which covers COVID, they are both now retired and know they may have to self-isolate on return.
They are sensible, rational people who do not take unnecessary risks.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 29-Sep-20 16:43:42

I have asthma, always travel with an emergency pack of medication in case of a severe attack the last five years. Always take out insurance wherever I am going.

When in Austria (10 years ago) the EHIC did not cover me when I developed a chest infection, had to pay to see a doctor and pay for medication which I claimed back from insurance co. Also in Austria I broke my arm had to pay all costs upfront and then claim.

moonlight Tue 29-Sep-20 16:41:41

would you really want to go while covid 19 will still be around i expect insurance companies will find way not to pay you if you get it

Illte Tue 29-Sep-20 16:37:37

And I do hate that hysterical over dramatisation?

"Does this mean none of us can go to Italy, France, blah, blah"

Er, no.

I'll shut up now.

Callistemon Tue 29-Sep-20 16:36:20

If you have any condition which needs a regular checkup and you travel overseas, the EHIC would not cover that, nor would normal travel insurance.
You'd have to have a checkup and pay privately.

As well as having travel insurance.

Illte Tue 29-Sep-20 16:34:33

Some people will lose out with Brexit.
Some people lost out when we were members of the EU. Enough to vote out.

That's life. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

And I did vote remain.

Illte Tue 29-Sep-20 16:31:36

But the EHIC in most countries (I won't say all because I only know about the ones we travelled to) doesn't cover treatment for ongoing chronic conditions like kidney failure, unless it becomes an emergency.
I know this through my husbands illnesses.

You couldn't go for a visit and book an appointment for your ongoing treatment, like a regular dialysis. Not unless you went privately.

Some if the posters make it sound as if you could just go and get your regular NHS treatment.

Welshwife Tue 29-Sep-20 16:26:13

Travel insurance in France is far cheaper than in U.K. and it is illegal to ask about existing medical conditions whether it is for holiday insurance or health insurance.
A few years ago we took out travel insurance for seven weeks - 2 weeks in U.K. and 5 weeks in USA - the cost was €110 each - this included repatriation etc - the only cost it would not cover was the cost of the flights as we had paid with a credit card so covered by that and elected not to be covered twice.
The insurance broker told us that if there was any huge problem not to worry as our house insurance would pay! He said really we did not need the insurance but we could not bring ourselves to rely on that so took the insurance anyway!

suziewoozie Tue 29-Sep-20 16:21:39

The point is JE is that health care insurance is a part of the standard travel insurance package and .what was available with the EHIC in most countries was not sufficient to go without travel insurance and be sure you were fully covered. I don’t understand people who seem to be saying that they know disabled people who went abroad without travel insurance. What about cancellation, delayed departure, lost/stolen luggage?

JenniferEccles Tue 29-Sep-20 16:08:29

We will have the details in due course regarding European travel and what is required concerning health cover and I feel sure this is one aspect of leaving the EU which they will want to make relatively straightforward.

For example I believe the majority of Spain‘s tourists are British so they for example are not going to want to make things difficult for us.

It’s perfectly clear that in other respects such as the ongoing trade deals, we were never going to be given an easy ride in case other countries think about following us !

Callistemon Tue 29-Sep-20 16:01:43

Biba may not live in an EU country; she hasn't stated where so we don't know.

Many people have dual nationality through their parents or because they applied and it was granted.
Not every country allows this, of course.

MawB2 Tue 29-Sep-20 15:44:53

MaizieD

biba is a British citizen, GG13. (I don't know if she has dual nationality). As such, any rights she has as an EU citizen in her present country of residence will lapse after 31/12/20

I think Biba is more than able to speak for herself and her country of residence which is not as it happens part of the EU
So I fail to see the relevance of your post MaizieD

Kane4 Tue 29-Sep-20 15:42:24

The E111 card will not be valid after Dec 31st.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 29-Sep-20 15:38:31

MaizieD

biba70 has repeatedly posted that she is unable to purchase travel/health insurance in her adopted country as it doesn’t exist.

As this country is not part of the EU what will change from 01/01/2021?

Callistemon Tue 29-Sep-20 15:33:14

Did they not take out travel insurance previously, GillT57?

Perhaps I've wasted hundreds of £ over the years!
Although it's worth paying the price for peace of mind.

I hope that they can find suitable accommodation in the UK for him and his friends from the day centre.

My niece has not travelled overseas but has had some lovely holidays here in the UK with her friends and their carers.

This could be useful:
www.disabilityholidaysguide.com/disabled-activity-and-adventure-holidays.aspx#sthash.LvLPAEkx.Y1QzzBFy.dpbs

GillT57 Tue 29-Sep-20 15:31:54

Oppsminty

But it's always been more expensive to get travel insurance if you have underlying health conditions

the point is that he didn't need to have health insurance because he was able, if needed, to get dialysis in France under the reciprocal arrangements.