Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump / Biden Debate tonight 9/29 @ 9:00 Eastern

(77 Posts)
rosecarmel Tue 29-Sep-20 23:34:09

The first of 3 debates will take place tonight at 9 at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, OH-

“Fox News Sunday” host Chris Wallace will serve as the moderator and recently set the topics: the candidates’ records, the Supreme Court, the pandemic, the economy, race and violence in cities and the integrity of the election.

Alishka Sun 04-Oct-20 11:38:16

thank you rosecarmel - much appreciated smile

Furret Sat 03-Oct-20 09:28:23

The way Trump mocked Biden’s son was beyond disgraceful, especially as he’s bound to know his history.

As a young man, Biden lost his wife and 1-year old daughter when a trailer blindsided his wife’s car. It was just before Christmas and she had taken the three children to buy a Christmas tree. His two boys survived but were injured. They were 2 and 4 at the time.

He then lost Beau to a brain tumour aged 46.

So Trump thought it acceptable to mock his only surviving son?

rosecarmel Sat 03-Oct-20 03:33:16

Alishka

And who did Trump call Pocahontas?
Dreadful and disgraceful man.angry

Elizabeth Warren-

My top pick for president-

mobile.twitter.com/ewarren

Alishka Fri 02-Oct-20 23:45:21

And who did Trump call Pocahontas?
Dreadful and disgraceful man.angry

varian Fri 02-Oct-20 17:35:00

Much much smarter than him

varian Fri 02-Oct-20 17:34:29

The seed is sown. What is truth? What is fake news (ie lies)?

Trump has people behind him who are much much smarter than and it seems obvious that they have an agenda which has not been spelled out or explained.

biba70 Fri 02-Oct-20 10:29:43

Now, if you knew just how bad you are at debating and being interviewed - unless you just attack and insult and talk over your opponent- and you are warned that the next debate- he will not be allowed to do so- would you find an excuse not to have to face your opponent or the interviewer?

And plan it well ahead- to sow the seed in people's minds too- so that when you call the excuse, people think it makes sense because of your past behaviour?

Yes - indeed.

And what more perfect excuse, hey.

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 20:55:54

MayBee70

I don’t think he needed an advisor to behave that way towards a Hillary. To him it would be instinctive. Makes my flesh crawl. How any woman could vote for him is beyond me.

I expect they believe all the conspiracy theories about Bill and Hillary.

varian Thu 01-Oct-20 18:06:48

Some Trump supporters think again

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k57rXjqQbp8

MayBee70 Thu 01-Oct-20 17:20:36

I don’t think he needed an advisor to behave that way towards a Hillary. To him it would be instinctive. Makes my flesh crawl. How any woman could vote for him is beyond me.

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 15:16:14

I didn't know that about Biden.

What a horrible and ferocious lot the Trump camp are.
Well, just look at how he prowled around behind Hillary Clinton.
He must have advisers who give him these strategies on how to undermine other people.

Dreadful.

suziewoozie Thu 01-Oct-20 15:09:37

JE I find it astonishing that from the whole 90 minute event, you could not find one thing to criticise Trump for but only criticised Biden

suziewoozie Thu 01-Oct-20 15:07:44

Criticising his son is also a disgusting filthy tactic - he knows how much more precious this son is given the deaths of Biden’s other son and daughter.

Grannynannywanny Thu 01-Oct-20 11:35:19

Furret I hadn’t heard that about Biden. Trump is devoid of a shred of human decency and his performance throughout this debate made that plain for all to see.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 11:32:51

Furret

Just come across this. As the grandmother of a stutterer, I know how true this is. My little grandson can talk reasonably well much of the time but under any of the stressors mentioned here can barely get a word out. I know Biden has helped many young people with this disability by owning up to his own problem.

Knowing how Trump mocks those with disabilities I suspect this below was a deliberate strategy.

Joe Biden is a stutterer. Like many others, he has overcome the disability by understanding it and exercising extraordinary perseverence and discipline. If you know and love a stutterer and you watched the presidential debate last night, within minutes it became obvious what was going on. Abusive tone of voice, rapid fire interruptions, zigzagging change of topic, personal insult and humiliation, and family pain are all tripwires that scramble a stutterer's ability to speak. There was nothing unplanned or spontaneous in the President's strategy. The bastards did not prep him to attack Joe. They prepped him to attack Joe's disability hoping that by triggering his stuttering they might deceive an audience unfamiliar with the disability into thinking that Joe was stupid, weak, uncertain, confused, or lost to dementia

Well it didn’t work.

What a horrible and ferocious lot the Trump camp are.

Furret Thu 01-Oct-20 11:25:41

Just come across this. As the grandmother of a stutterer, I know how true this is. My little grandson can talk reasonably well much of the time but under any of the stressors mentioned here can barely get a word out. I know Biden has helped many young people with this disability by owning up to his own problem.

Knowing how Trump mocks those with disabilities I suspect this below was a deliberate strategy.

Joe Biden is a stutterer. Like many others, he has overcome the disability by understanding it and exercising extraordinary perseverence and discipline. If you know and love a stutterer and you watched the presidential debate last night, within minutes it became obvious what was going on. Abusive tone of voice, rapid fire interruptions, zigzagging change of topic, personal insult and humiliation, and family pain are all tripwires that scramble a stutterer's ability to speak. There was nothing unplanned or spontaneous in the President's strategy. The bastards did not prep him to attack Joe. They prepped him to attack Joe's disability hoping that by triggering his stuttering they might deceive an audience unfamiliar with the disability into thinking that Joe was stupid, weak, uncertain, confused, or lost to dementia

Well it didn’t work.

Furret Thu 01-Oct-20 09:02:12

JenniferEccles

Did I actually hear Biden say “shut up man” to Trump?

He sounded like an illiterate adolescent.

Well it needed saying. Was he to just stand there and let the Orang-utan shout him down all the time.

I think people are being unfair to Biden. If you’ve ever come across a semi-literate moron like Trump acting in this way you will know how difficult it is and how few choices you have.

LullyDully Thu 01-Oct-20 08:49:01

There is a tongue in cheek video by two American kindergarten teachers on BBC news online explaining how to control a debate between 5 year olds.. Fingers on lips if you interrupt etc.

Basic rules of discussion were broken by the pair of them. Why wasn't the chairman standing between them? He couldn't keep order from the orchestra pit.

Callistemon Wed 30-Sep-20 22:48:14

But it takes more than that to shut up Trump unfortunately.

JenniferEccles Wed 30-Sep-20 22:29:12

Did I actually hear Biden say “shut up man” to Trump?

He sounded like an illiterate adolescent.

Callistemon Wed 30-Sep-20 22:24:18

It was truly depressing.

rosecarmel Wed 30-Sep-20 21:54:12

Whitewavemark2

rosecarmel

I don't blame you in the least, Hetty!

We missed a golden opportunity with Elizabeth Warren-

Michelle Obama suggested during the convention that we not waste our votes by writing in the candidate of our choice but to vote for Joe- In others words, vote for him regardless in order to win back the oval office-

He's an awful choice .. and admit I'm not convinced I should vote for him ..

Surely you wouldn’t support a Nazi supporter!!!

No- I wouldn't vote for him- There is a write in option- A Democratic House and Senate would be nice-

MayBee70 Wed 30-Sep-20 20:15:56

Couldn’t watch it. The memory of the Trump/Clinton debate where Trump behaved in a totally predatory menacing way towards Hillary still makes my flesh crawl.

Urmstongran Wed 30-Sep-20 20:11:01

Biden: "Antifa's an idea, not an organization." Trump: "You've gotta be kidding me".

Well it’s not the right wing harassing diners, setting fires in cities, smashing storefronts and looting with Democrat mayors in charge.

Blinko Wed 30-Sep-20 20:00:41

I agree with everything that's already been said. Truly dreadful behaviour from both candidates. I didn't watch and certainly won't be watching the other two 'debates'.