Gransnet forums

News & politics

Matt Hancock

(34 Posts)
growstuff Wed 07-Oct-20 03:30:09

In the Houses of Parliament, Hancock has told Stella Creasey she's not "sensible" for asking a perfectly sensible question. He told Dr Rosena Allin-Khan to “watch her tone” when asking a legitimate question back in May about Test and Trace, claiming the government’s policy would cost lives. He refused to answer questions from Dawn Butler about the awarding of contracts and their accountability. He doesn't speak to males in the same way. Is this acceptable?

Hancock also defended Tony Abbott, saying that claims from Kay Burley that he's a "homophobic misogynist" aren't true.

Is Hancock a misogynist? Should he be reprimanded for his comments in Parliament?

FannyCornforth Wed 07-Oct-20 03:45:32

I remember the 'watch your tone' comment.
Highly likely that he is a misogynist.
But I tend to think that his comments are more likely the result of being on the defense, out of his depth and scared.

growstuff Wed 07-Oct-20 03:56:37

He's certainly out of his depth and doesn't have a defence.

Granarchist Wed 07-Oct-20 09:32:01

I think he has also forgotten that it is an MP's duty to ask questions, whether male or female, and this tone is not helpful to his cause at all.

Iam64 Wed 07-Oct-20 09:35:18

growstuff, I may be wrong but my memory isn't that he denied Tony Abbot is a homophobic, misogynist. He responded "but he's a good trade envoy". Or words with that meaning.

Hancock is a man out of his depth. Even his pink tie looks exhausted. He looks highly anxious, exhausted but non of that excuses his rudeness towards female journalists. I agree, he has problems with women just like he has problems with his job.

suziewoozie Wed 07-Oct-20 09:55:17

The MP for Slough a few days ago asked in the House why some constituents were being asked to travel to I of W for a test. Hancock retorted ‘I will not have this divisive language’. The MP is male and a Sikh. The Speaker clearly finds this type of behaviour absolutely fine ( but then that’s why he got the job).

suziewoozie Wed 07-Oct-20 09:56:56

Btw JRM defended MH’s remark to RAK. Of course he did.

Parsley3 Wed 07-Oct-20 10:15:32

Hancock’s blank, haunted expression makes it appear that his eyes are permanently out of focus. He is struggling to exercise some authority but reprimanding his peers as if they were naughty schoolchildren is not appropriate. It is not misogyny just desperation and he should be pulled up on it.

MayBee70 Wed 07-Oct-20 10:44:47

I don’t understand why the speaker doesn’t make MP’s actually answer the questions they are asked. The only questions this government does answer properly are the sycophantic put up job questions that their own party put to them in parliament.

GagaJo Wed 07-Oct-20 10:56:26

We had a good speaker MayBee and he was roundly hated on GN. Just wait for the flood of decision.

growstuff Wed 07-Oct-20 12:51:22

Iam64

growstuff, I may be wrong but my memory isn't that he denied Tony Abbot is a homophobic, misogynist. He responded "but he's a good trade envoy". Or words with that meaning.

Hancock is a man out of his depth. Even his pink tie looks exhausted. He looks highly anxious, exhausted but non of that excuses his rudeness towards female journalists. I agree, he has problems with women just like he has problems with his job.

They weren't journalists. They were MPs in the House of Commons, asking perfectly legitimate questions, which he just didn't want to answer.

growstuff Wed 07-Oct-20 12:52:11

suziewoozie

The MP for Slough a few days ago asked in the House why some constituents were being asked to travel to I of W for a test. Hancock retorted ‘I will not have this divisive language’. The MP is male and a Sikh. The Speaker clearly finds this type of behaviour absolutely fine ( but then that’s why he got the job).

I saw that one too.

NotTooOld Wed 07-Oct-20 13:07:40

I have not seen MH in the H of C but I have seen him many times on the weekly briefings and also listened to him on the radio. I can't really see why he deserves this criticism. He comes across as someone who knows his brief and is doing his level best in extremely difficult circumstances. He seems quite tough to me, not someone 'out of his depth'.

EllanVannin Wed 07-Oct-20 13:13:02

We mustn't forget that this man seems to have born/e the brunt of this whole Covid nonsense. He seems to have carried the can for everyone.
I think I'd feel a tad tetchy if asked a stupid question too.

Sarnia Wed 07-Oct-20 13:19:20

I wonder if he is heartily sick of being left with so much of this to deal with. Even if he is, it doesn't excuse rudeness, but we all have a breaking point. Where is Boris? He has a talent for disappearing. He is PM. He should be doing his fair share. The EU are not impressed that he is missing from important talks.

growstuff Wed 07-Oct-20 13:36:44

NotTooOld

I have not seen MH in the H of C but I have seen him many times on the weekly briefings and also listened to him on the radio. I can't really see why he deserves this criticism. He comes across as someone who knows his brief and is doing his level best in extremely difficult circumstances. He seems quite tough to me, not someone 'out of his depth'.

Well, I'm afraid that I have a totally different impression. He lies his way out of difficulties and has made ridiculous promises about the number of new nurses who will be recruited and the number of new hospitals which will be built. He must know that both are fantasies. He's also quoted inaccurate statistics and has made a number of unachievable promises, particularly about Test and Trace. I've actually seen him in the flesh at an election hustings, where he couldn't answer straightforward questions honestly. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. His replies to the questions asked in Parliament should, in my opinion, have been reprimanded.

growstuff Wed 07-Oct-20 13:37:43

EllanVannin

We mustn't forget that this man seems to have born/e the brunt of this whole Covid nonsense. He seems to have carried the can for everyone.
I think I'd feel a tad tetchy if asked a stupid question too.

He wasn't asked stupid questions. He was asked sensible, legitimate questions.

varian Wed 07-Oct-20 13:47:33

Legal experts and campaigners have accused Matt Hancock of "fundamentally misunderstanding" his responsibilities to disabled people during the pandemic.

In a letter to the Health Secretary, Lib Dem Leader Ed Davey has shared legal advice arguing that the UK government is currently breaching international law in its treatment of some of the most vulnerable.

Sir Ed is demanding the Government reverse measures in the Coronavirus act which allow councils to downgrade the support they give to disabled people - including those in case homes.

Last week, Mr Hancock said that the change did not breach the European Convention on Human Rights.

But Sir Ed, who is a carer for his disabled son, has shared legal advice which argues that changes to the Care Act breach the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.

Charities have reported on disabled people experiencing immense hardship since downgrade was enacted.

www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/matt-hancock-told-covid-19-22802694?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

NfkDumpling Wed 07-Oct-20 13:55:08

I agree with Ellan. His job morphed suddenly into something no one could have foreseen or prepared for. I think its time we accepted that our MPs are human beings doing their best. Not everyone can be immortal Donalds getting everything right.

EllanVannin Wed 07-Oct-20 14:00:59

Where are all the scientists who should be answering questions ?

Ellianne Wed 07-Oct-20 14:13:49

I agree MH sounds pretty exasperated a) with some people not doing as they're told and b) with the constant barrage of silly questions.
As for being a misogynist, I didn't see this trait in the daily briefings. He tried to answer male and female journalists in the same manner, in fact I remember him being more dismissive of Robert Peston who he accidentally/on purpose cut off for pushing silly questions. He was actually best at patiently answering members of the general public who had down to earth concerns.

Iam64 Wed 07-Oct-20 14:16:58

growstuff, I was referring to Hancock's response to Kay Birley, the Sky News reporter who I thought was excellent in pushing him for a response to her summary of Abbot's many short comings.

LadyGracie Wed 07-Oct-20 14:17:31

I think he blusters because half the time, or more, he doesn’t understand what he is being asked.

growstuff Wed 07-Oct-20 15:05:47

Iam64

growstuff, I was referring to Hancock's response to Kay Birley, the Sky News reporter who I thought was excellent in pushing him for a response to her summary of Abbot's many short comings.

Ah! Sorry!

growstuff Wed 07-Oct-20 15:07:41

Ellianne

I agree MH sounds pretty exasperated a) with some people not doing as they're told and b) with the constant barrage of silly questions.
As for being a misogynist, I didn't see this trait in the daily briefings. He tried to answer male and female journalists in the same manner, in fact I remember him being more dismissive of Robert Peston who he accidentally/on purpose cut off for pushing silly questions. He was actually best at patiently answering members of the general public who had down to earth concerns.

Which silly questions? I was referring to legitimate, sensible questions.

He's Health Secretary during a pandemic. Of course, people will ask him questions and have every right to do so.