Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump throwing his toys out of the pram

(1001 Posts)
suziewoozie Thu 08-Oct-20 13:48:09

Won’t do a virtual debate - should be empty chaired. Good news

Elegran Thu 19-Nov-20 10:55:58

That, incidentally, is the mark of a democratic and enlightened civilised nation - they have realised that looking after ALL members benefits ALL members.

rosecarmel Thu 19-Nov-20 13:23:51

Whitewave, your description of healthcare in the US is spot on: shambolic and difficult to understand-

I didn't even touch on Medicare! A portion of which is paid for by a Medicare tax taken out of everyone's payroll/wages regardless of age but isn't accessible until age 65 -- or if disabled-

And here's the kicker .. despite contributing towards it all your life, come age 65, you have to pay even more for it per month via premiums!

It's bonkers ..

You are also correct in your assumption that people fall through massive holes in the net- Many fall into poverty due to medical cost and/or eventually end up in court declaring bankruptcy-

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Nov-20 13:36:44

Yes my DH was on a woodworking forum which had some American chaps contributing. One had a heart condition and needed surgery. The upshot was that he had to sell his house to pay for it????.

It seems utterly cruel. At the most vulnerable time in someone’s life, your shelter is taken away from you. It can’t be right.

Here the biggest thing such an ill patient has to worry about is getting better.

rosecarmel Thu 19-Nov-20 15:53:33

Food lines all across the US are growing along with jobless claims- And the government continues to do what it always does, play chicken politics while so many people are in need-

All they have to do is cut another stimulus check for everyone, money that would immediately flow back out into the economy- But no- It's an all or nothing show in Washington for Republicans and Democrats alike-

Who are these people???

pollyperkins Fri 20-Nov-20 14:15:44

Is anyone else concerned that Trump is trying to overcome democracy & stage a coup? Ive read that having failed to find any evidence of fraud he is now trying to persuade officials to manipulate results so that he can win. He seems to be both deluded and dangerous. What is even more worrying is that 100s (1000s?) of his followers believe his lies and Rudi Giuliani is backing him up.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Nov-20 15:21:08

There must be checks that prevent a president from harming his country and behaving utterly irrationally.

Surely something can be done to put a stop to his behaviour?

pollyperkins Fri 20-Nov-20 16:18:21

One hopes so. My information came from the Washington Post. They are not Trump fans!

Wheniwasyourage Fri 20-Nov-20 17:40:55

Just to lighten the mood a bit - this was in the Herald diary the other day. Trump can't stage a coup because a coup can come only from the coup d'état area of France. Otherwise it's only a sparkling authoritarian takeover.

MamaCaz Fri 20-Nov-20 17:57:07

I can't find the link(s) right now, but I read CNN reports this morning that said that Trump knows he has lost, but is now out for revenge.
He felt that in 2016, the Democrats cast doubt over the legitimacy of his presidency through claims of Russian electoral interference, so he is deliberately trying to delegitimise Biden's presidency through unsubstantiated accusations of 'cheating'!

Nice guy who really puts the country first - not!

rosecarmel Fri 20-Nov-20 20:45:30

I imagine the next benchmark is the voting of the electors of the electoral college on December 15th- Trump has his legal staffers and minions in states pressuring them to vote for him-

Although when chosen and asked to pledge to vote for specific candidates they, the electors, don't always follow through and by law don't always have to- Which makes me wonder if they're ever offered money or positions- Or whatever-

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Nov-20 22:01:21

Yes when I was trying to understand the voting system, that was a question I couldn’t answer about how the electoral college voted for the other side.

rosecarmel Fri 20-Nov-20 22:45:20

Georgia hand recount reaffirms Biden win- Trump has until Tuesday to ask the state for another recount- That recount would be by machine-

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Nov-20 04:51:39

Wonder what else Trump will try to do?

He seems to be trying to raise a load of money. I guess he’s trying to raise enough to pay his debts to the revenue to avoid legal action? But aren’t there charges of fraud as well?

Russia will want their money back as well. Trumps served his usefulness.

Jane43 Sat 21-Nov-20 06:08:33

MamaCaz

I can't find the link(s) right now, but I read CNN reports this morning that said that Trump knows he has lost, but is now out for revenge.
He felt that in 2016, the Democrats cast doubt over the legitimacy of his presidency through claims of Russian electoral interference, so he is deliberately trying to delegitimise Biden's presidency through unsubstantiated accusations of 'cheating'!

Nice guy who really puts the country first - not!

I think this is the article you are referring to MamaCaz::

edition.cnn.com/2020/11/19/politics/trump-democrats-election/index.html

MawBe Sat 21-Nov-20 07:56:46

Wheniwasyourage

Just to lighten the mood a bit - this was in the Herald diary the other day. Trump can't stage a coup because a coup can come only from the coup d'état area of France. Otherwise it's only a sparkling authoritarian takeover.

I had missed this gringringrin

rosecarmel Sat 21-Nov-20 13:37:56

?

rosecarmel Tue 24-Nov-20 00:19:34

He's permitting the transition, finally- ???

SueDonim Tue 24-Nov-20 00:21:26

Glory be. ? How long is it - three weeks?

rosecarmel Tue 24-Nov-20 01:23:29

20 days since election day- Baby steps!

It might have been a blessing in disguise, showing how Joe Biden remained firm but patient- Mostly-

Sarnia Tue 24-Nov-20 08:40:40

Like a small petulant child unable to get his own way. There is a rocky road waiting for Donald once he loses his Presidential immunity. Pending law suits, overdue loans and a possible divorce if the papers are right. No wonder he wants to barricade himself into the Oval office!

25Avalon Tue 24-Nov-20 08:44:38

Hasn’t he gone yet?!

biba70 Tue 24-Nov-20 15:01:52

I wonder if anyone here would still support him and his actions?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 24-Nov-20 15:18:14

biba70

There are a couple who used to say they supported him, but have gone very quiet lately???

suziewoozie Tue 24-Nov-20 15:25:54

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

suziewoozie Tue 24-Nov-20 16:01:31

Whitewavemark2

biba70

There are a couple who used to say they supported him, but have gone very quiet lately???

Oh dear, I’ll try again. Yes I wonder if people who previously supported him have changed their minds?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion