Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump throwing his toys out of the pram

(1001 Posts)
suziewoozie Thu 08-Oct-20 13:48:09

Won’t do a virtual debate - should be empty chaired. Good news

Iam64 Mon 11-Jan-21 10:54:17

That sounds just like the language of any abuser Whitewave - its the victim's fault every time.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-Jan-21 10:36:43

The rhetoric of bullies
“The prevailing GOP argument seems to be “yes there was violence and now you must be lenient or we will get much more violent and that will be your fault”

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-Jan-21 10:33:26

The risk is real

Carol Cadwalldre
Do I post the Trumpy Riefenstahl video from Parler that’s inciting ‘we the people’ to take back control on Jan 20, the dawn of the great awakening?

SueDonim Mon 11-Jan-21 00:08:06

Comparing your fellow citizens who happen to have a different opinion from you to the Nazis, Paddyanne?. How disgusting.

paddyanne Sun 10-Jan-21 22:54:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

varian Sun 10-Jan-21 20:40:17

Former Republican Governor of California Arnie Schwartzinger has a powerful message for all Americans

news.sky.com/story/us-capitol-riots-arnold-schwarzenegger-compares-pro-trump-rioters-to-nazis-who-attacked-jews-during-night-of-broken-glass-12184271

MaizieD Sun 10-Jan-21 20:12:05

and also gave Alex Salmond his own show to promote the destruction of the United Kingdom.

I don't think that was particularly necessary. Our government is doing a pretty good job of it all on their own.

varian Sun 10-Jan-21 20:08:00

Let's not forget how much Russia did to get Trump elected.

RT has an agenda of destabilising the West. Trump's election in 2016 was a big achievement.

RT gave Nigel Farage his own show to help destabilise the EU by means of brexit and also gave Alex Salmond his own show to promote the destruction of the United Kingdom.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-Jan-21 20:06:25

So is GAB still available to the Nazis?

varian Sun 10-Jan-21 20:03:54

www.rt.com/usa/512081-tech-censorship-trump-gab/

varian Sun 10-Jan-21 20:03:41

RT, as expected, supporting Trump and condemning the online platforms for banning him.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-Jan-21 20:02:29

Galaxy

I also think while we all seem to be very grateful to Twitter for banning Trump, there is absolutely no way that Trump would have achieved prominence without Twitter.

So true

Galaxy Sun 10-Jan-21 19:58:09

I also think while we all seem to be very grateful to Twitter for banning Trump, there is absolutely no way that Trump would have achieved prominence without Twitter.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-Jan-21 19:53:02

Pence is not ruling out 25th amendment option.

Funny how they are all beginning to understand the danger after 4 years?. Chance that that Trump will be one more unstable - ........ you think!!??

On line extremism continues and there is a very large amount of activity being carried out. One hopes that this time the security forces are taking it seriously!

Extremists care little for the law or criminal record. Indeed it would be a badge of honour.

25Avalon Sun 10-Jan-21 19:48:32

I was thinking of “rioting, looting, and violence” and “large protests in Minneapolis some of them violent which then spread to many of America’s biggest cities” as recorded by the BBC last June.

Lucca Sun 10-Jan-21 19:08:54

No need for sackcloth nor indeed ashes, a simple “sorry I haven’t a clue where I got that idea” would have been nice. Moving on......

lemongrove Sun 10-Jan-21 18:28:53

I think that Avalon has got the message..no need for anymore piling on, it’s been said now many many times, and as she says, do you want her to get the sackcloth and ashes out?

Moving on.....it would be a brave ( foolhardy ) crowd who try anything on inauguration day and I think many who were there ( rather than those who actually broke into the Capitol buildings) won’t want to risk a criminal record/ prison next time.As for the ‘barking’ or violent ones, there should be enough security to keep them really far back out of reach of the new President.This isn’t normal times, when it comes to
the inauguration so security measures will need to be different this time.

grannyactivist Sun 10-Jan-21 18:01:48

Avalon the police response is not a matter of conjecture. There is photographic evidence of the difference in approach; a ten second search on google images will supply the proof. The police, Secret Service and National Guard response to the BLM gathering was overwhelming and bears no comparison to the minimal police response in preparation for Trump demonstrator's planned storming of the Capitol building.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-Jan-21 17:20:37

MaizieD

25Avalon

MaisieD why say it? We don’t know the treatment was any different but it would put in your mind that it was. America needs a peacemaker. Why do you keep arguing with everything you have decided I said even though I didn’t. We have seen violence from all sides for many months. Enough. Peace needs to be found.

Oh, FFS, Avalon. We saw footage of the policing of the BLM protests and we saw footage of the storming of the Capitol. That's how we know that they were treated differently.

If you didn't see it, that doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

Now we can see how these lies and conspiracy theories get a foothold.

avalon if you aren’t sure of the level of policing at the two events, it is incredibly easy to find the evidence.

I strongly recommend you do that as you cannot move forward to any sort of reconciliation without knowing and understand the truth.

Iam64 Sun 10-Jan-21 17:11:23

MiazieD - we don't have either an applause or like emoticon. I'll confine myself to saying a resounding Yes to your post at 17.01 today.

MaizieD Sun 10-Jan-21 17:01:22

25Avalon

MaisieD why say it? We don’t know the treatment was any different but it would put in your mind that it was. America needs a peacemaker. Why do you keep arguing with everything you have decided I said even though I didn’t. We have seen violence from all sides for many months. Enough. Peace needs to be found.

Oh, FFS, Avalon. We saw footage of the policing of the BLM protests and we saw footage of the storming of the Capitol. That's how we know that they were treated differently.

If you didn't see it, that doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

grannyactivist Sun 10-Jan-21 16:54:38

Avalon25 I fully understand yours - and indeed anyone's - desire to bring healing to difficult situations. However, the way to do this is not to ignore a wound, that would likely cause it to fester and get worse; the 'treatment' is to literally 'address' the wound. This is often painful and seems on the surface to be making things worse, but in fact it's the best way to promote healing. In my view it would have been extraordinary if Joe Biden, who will very soon inherit the chaos caused by Trump's presidency, had not addressed the situation caused by events on Wednesday.

The other issue that I think is hugely significant is what you describe as "The ..... loss of free speech". The president has merely lost the ability to 'amplify' his message and most particularly to target his messages at a particular section of the population. There is absolutely no loss of free speech; he has a press office and if he wants to go on TV he can have hourly press coverage if he chooses to.

There are millions of citizens who have no access to social media, would you say that they also have lost free speech? I am sure you would not.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-Jan-21 16:26:03

Don’t forget Murdoch’s complicity, he is as guilty as anyone for feeding this beast.

Galaxy Sun 10-Jan-21 16:16:40

Well yes but that's not what we are talking about.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-Jan-21 16:14:36

Galaxy

But you cant pick and choose. I agree with trump being banned from Twitter but the last people in the world I want to make those decisions are those who run Twitter etc. In most cases those people have the critical thinking capacity of a slug.

Not when it comes to profit!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion