Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cambridge Analytica and EU Referendum.

(2 Posts)
Bodach Thu 08-Oct-20 17:31:22

"Cambridge Analytica did not misuse data in EU referendum, says watchdog". That must have been a difficult statement for a Guardian journalist to write! But it reflects exactly what a 3 year investigation by the Information Commissioner concluded - as well as finding no evidence for the other widely trumpeted accusation that the company aided Russian interference in the UK's political process. Am I alone in thinking that the topic would have been all over Gransnet if the Commissioner's conclusions had been different?

MaizieD Thu 08-Oct-20 17:42:06

Am I alone in thinking that the topic would have been all over Gransnet if the Commissioner's conclusions had been different?

I'm sure you're not.

But the interesting thing is that it took if I recall rightly, about a week for the regulator to get permission from a judge to impound CA's computers and documments.

During that week CA were very busy removing as much of their stuff as they could from their office. They were even caught on camera. I doubt if there was much left that was in the slightest bit incriminating.

So, whether it was down to deliberate slow motion action on the part of the regulator or crazy rules which didn't allow her to move any faster, I never expected very much, or anything at all, to come out of the investigation. The evidence had long gone by the time she got there...