Gransnet forums

News & politics

Durham area? Hope you will complain to your Council

(90 Posts)
biba70 Tue 13-Oct-20 16:17:30

So the Cummings family not only broke planning laws and built a very large property on their land without permission- but the Council has now ruled that they will not have to pay back council taxes on said property. 50.000 that could have gone towards social care, the elderly, schools and so much more.

Hope all of you will write to Council or request appointment with your MP to make a very strong complaint and ask for this to be reviewed asap.

Jaberwok Wed 14-Oct-20 20:46:25

They could still have a section 52 attached to them as DH 's cousins home had when built on their farm as a home for family and in time, them. The land used is classified as agricultural. Perhaps they have , perhaps they haven't, I doubt they'll be telling the general public! As has been said, complain to Durham local authority, if you're that concerned! Oh real!y biba, do get a grip!!

biba70 Wed 14-Oct-20 20:48:44

Not bizzare at all -UK planning and fraud law is universal for whole of UK. And all over the UK, people who do not follow procedure, especially with intend to conceal, commit fraud, and not pay taxes - are punished, extensions of buildings pulled down, and back taxes paid, often with extra fines. The town or county in this particular case is irrelevant. And the missing tax does not belong to the council, but the people of the region (whichever it is) and their public services.

But if you wish to find it bizarre, THAT is just an opinion- and you are entitled to it - just as I am entitled to mine. Ta.

Jaberwok Wed 14-Oct-20 20:54:12

If prosecution is outside time limitation, there is nothing anyone can do, that also is the law! And you are wrong about planning law being universal throughout the UK!

biba70 Wed 14-Oct-20 21:00:53

Maizie clearly posted the Law, and that this is nonsense.

Nandalot Wed 14-Oct-20 21:06:16

Yes, the planning violation is out of time but the council tax is not. Why, as I posted earlier, can a person on benefits be imprisoned for not paying £4,000+ of council tax but Cummings and his family, who can obviously afford it, are not made to pay. That is what is making me angry. It is not merely a Durham issue, it is about equality, and about those who have influence in making the laws,
abiding by them.

biba70 Wed 14-Oct-20 21:59:57

Ms Woodcock spent 40 days in prison before a successful appeal. Mr Cummings seems to break the laws that apply to the rest of us with impunity. Council tax due since 2002 was written off 'because of the length of time that had passed'.
Follow the rule of law or suffer the consequences.... unless you know somebody who knows somebody...

Callistemon Thu 15-Oct-20 14:29:08

lemongrove

Careful Callistemon ! He may come and build a house next to you??

He can live in the garden shed, I'll keep him busy and away from mischief by making him do the gardening and odd jobs. I have a large whip I can crack.

biba70 Tue 20-Oct-20 08:27:42

It seems 1000s did just that, complain to Press, Council and MPs: From the Herald:

''Durham County Council boss Simon Henig has asked senior officers to find a way to force Dominic Cummings to pay tens of thousands of pounds of backdated council tax.

The Northern Echo exclusively reports that “two properties, including the Mr Cummings’ notorious ‘lockdown cottage’, at the family farm near Durham, were built in breach of planning regulations and are now liable for council tax”, and that senior officers have been instructed to “find a way” to force him to pay up. ''

FarNorth Tue 20-Oct-20 17:10:27

Glad to hear it.

I bet Jo Bloggs putting up a garden shed would have been hounded.

MaizieD Wed 21-Oct-20 08:51:30

I think that Durham County Council has been listening.

Durham County Council boss Simon Henig has asked senior officers to find a way to force Dominic Cummings to pay tens of thousands of pounds of backdated council tax.

www.heraldscotland.com/news/18806483.dominic-cummings-forced-pay-backdated-council-tax/?ref=twtrec

GagaJo Wed 21-Oct-20 09:04:10

As they should. Cummings has clearly deliberately evaded paying. If he was the average Briton, he'd be up for prosecution whereas because of his Rasputin position he has, and will probably continue, to get away without paying.

biba70 Wed 21-Oct-20 14:01:24

just keep up the pressure - don't let it drop until he does

varian Wed 21-Oct-20 17:59:20

Exactly what would Cummings have to do to get sacked?

Grab women by the pussy? or stand in the middle of New York and shoot somebody?

Johnson seems to be following he Trump script.

varian Mon 26-Oct-20 22:45:22

Dominic Cummings’ unpaid £50,000 council tax bill could fund more than 23,000 free school meals in County Durham, figures reveal.