Gransnet forums

News & politics

If Trump loses we must not assume that it is back to the old politics

(95 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 17-Oct-20 12:00:54

At the moment it looks like Trump is going to lose badly - in fact it is a possible blood bath, but I hardly dare hope for such an outcome.

Johnson is going to look very lonely in his populist tower and certainly behind the curve, with centre-ism once more in the ascendancy.

But what those of the centre must not do is assume that we can once more settle into the type of politics we had before the populists in the U.K. and USA took power with their promise of getting rid of elitism and giving the workers what they want. All a mirage if course, but never the less political parties must be absolutely clear that they ignore that section of the voting public at their peril because that is what got us Trump and Johnson and Brexit in the first place.

The Democrats seem to be saying the right things and undoubtedly the centre-ists in the Tory party and Labour are beginning to understand this. A Democratic win will boost the centre-ist cause in the U.K.

I can only hope that the forecast of a Democratic win is right.

biba70 Tue 27-Oct-20 15:45:13

and we, without any say or vote- will be right in the middle of it.

Summerlove Tue 27-Oct-20 14:42:23

No matter what, it will be a sh!tshow next Wednesday, and the country will be even more divided

varian Tue 27-Oct-20 14:00:25

President Donald Trump lashed out at "stupid" critics from within his own party and called for unity on Sunday after growing Republican criticism and warnings of a "bloodbath" in the November 3 election.

Mr Trump issued the comments as he and his Democratic opponent Joe Biden hit the ground in crucial swing states in the final stretch before an election that opinion polls show the real estate mogul is at serious risk of losing.

Speaking to a rally in the western state of Nevada, Mr Trump ranged from attacks on Mr Biden and boasts about his economic policies to discussions on bathroom water pressure and a shirt worn by the commissioner of the National Football League.

But he also addressed comments from Republican Senator Ben Sasse of Nebraska, who recently told constituents Mr Trump "kisses dictators' butts", mistreats women and uses the White House as a business.

Other Republicans have warned of electoral losses in the polls that will include congressional races, including Senator Ted Cruz, who like Mr Sasse said there was a risk of a "bloodbath".

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/19/donald-trump-lashes-stupid-republican-critics-nevada-rally/

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Oct-20 13:12:04

Then of course, as he continuously ridiculed Biden at his rally (in Pennsylvania I think), Trump mixed up the World Health Organization and the World Trade Organization!

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Oct-20 13:05:22

Urmstongran, I feel very cross about the way this has been reported about the "George" slip-up. Yes, obviously it was a slip, but it was part of a much longer piece and he was in conversation on the air with a caller who was called George. He was actually talking to a man called George.

Trump has also had slips like this. He was talking to "Tim Apple" once if you remember. Tim being the founder of Apple computers.

I do wish that the BBC at least had put this in context. It's as though they only watched the highly edited version put out by the trump campaigns team. ?

biba70 Mon 26-Oct-20 13:07:48

Huge conflicts of interests coming up if he wins apparently- This is dynamite

Trump has, in the past, declared bankruptcy numerous times to avoid paying back his loans (in fact, that's how he made his so-called 'fortune' back in the 1980s -- by taking out huge loans and then declaring bankruptcy so that he didn't have to pay them back).

Apparently, a huge chunk of his loans that will be coming due soon are to Deutsch bank (the biggest bank in Germany, so I've read) because no US banks would loan him money anymore. There is some talk about the Deutsch bank having sold those loans to Russian banks or something, but I'm not entirely sure if that has yet been confirmed (that he also owes money to Russia). He is also in debt to Chinese banks, though.

Trump Deutsche Bank Loans Underwritten By Russian State-Owned Bank, Whistleblower Told FBI
forensicnews.net/2020/01/03/...ower-told-fbi/

How Donald Trump became Deutsche Bank's biggest headache
www.theguardian.com/business...ggest-headache

Trump owes tens of millions to Bank of China
www.politico.com/news/2020/0...na-debt-205475

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:59:16

I can’t see him ever being accepted as a candidate. A one term president is a loser as far as politics is concerned. Certainly in Trump’s strange little world.

JenniferEccles Mon 26-Oct-20 10:37:22

It’s been said that if Trump loses this election he will stand again in 2024.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:07:49

Urmstongran

Seems Biden though George Bush was POTUS at present. On live tv he said ‘we mustn’t have 4 more years of George’. His wife Jill was seen to whisper ‘Trump’.

Worrying.
Such an old man (even with a facelift).

Much more worrying for you ug is his attitude to NI and Brexit it.

He sees Johnson and a Populist Trumpian, and will not be particularly keen to support him.

Urmstongran Mon 26-Oct-20 09:54:18

Seems Biden though George Bush was POTUS at present. On live tv he said ‘we mustn’t have 4 more years of George’. His wife Jill was seen to whisper ‘Trump’.

Worrying.
Such an old man (even with a facelift).

biba70 Mon 26-Oct-20 09:46:35

So, bets are out. Never have the results of the USA elections meant so much for the UK. Everything Johnson, Cummings and ERG have done so far, including wasting very valueable time and wasting the time of the EU- was done to wait for the USA elections, with the assumption Trump would win.

So, it Trump wins- Johnson will go for No Deal with Trump- totally alienating all our closest neighbours and markets- and selling our NHS and agricultural sector and standards with it.

Or - and Johnson and co are getting seiously worried- Biden wins and he will have us over a barrel- desperate and with no cards to play. Huge concessions will have to be made on Irish border, and workers rights, etc.

Or Biden just says 'NO not interested, bigger fish to fry' - and Johnson will have to go back to EU, without any cards, desperate for anything, and having alieanated them and even broken the Treaty he had signed with them in total dishonesty- thinking we will just chuck it when mate Trump wins. NOT a great prospect. Rock and a hard place, for sure.

And we, we will all pay for it, big time.

varian Sun 25-Oct-20 18:54:18

Putin, Murdoch, the Barclay brothers, Crispin Odey and all the vultures of disaster capitalism

biba70 Sun 25-Oct-20 12:30:54

Johnson, Cumming, ERG and Trump.

biba70 Sun 25-Oct-20 12:16:11

Now it is clear that Johnson have been cooking up the books and planning for a hard No Deal Brexit all along. More than ever, it is essential that Trump loses- or we will be run from the USA and our NHS and agriculture gone.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 25-Oct-20 10:37:54

Interesting article today in the Observer.

Talking about the USA election.

A couple of interesting points.

It is generally understood in Europe that Johnson is waiting to see the outcome of the election.

If Trump wins, Johnson will see it as history being on his side, and much more likely to push for a no deal, assuming ( I’m not entirely convinced by this) that Trump will be prepared to do a good deal with the U.K.

Secondly if Biden wins, Johnson May well be in difficulties for a few reasons.

First Biden will initially concentrate on rebuilding relationships with the Eu that Trump has trashed, as they are keen to remain friendly with one if the biggest economic blocks in the world.

Second, the democrats see Johnson as a populist and have watched how his government has behaved and see huge parallels with Trump. They are uniquely under impressed with the Johnson government, as the saw his early and continued friendship with Trump.

The UKs strong influence in Europe no longer exists, so it has very little to offer the USA.

Brussels will be back at the forefront of the USA’s thinking. The democrats think that brexit is madness and give it no support.

Biden believes that Johnson is imperilling the Irish peace process, and it outraged that Johnson has threatened peace in NI through no apparent reason.

Urmstongran Thu 22-Oct-20 20:27:34

Actually that did make me giggle LHD!

Urmstongran Thu 22-Oct-20 20:26:27

Not me varian
?

Wonder how the debate will pan out tonight.

varian Thu 22-Oct-20 19:49:29

I just wonder how many Trump voters or BJ voters have been seduced by bonkers conspiracy theories.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Oct-20 19:20:34

Oh come on ug you are beginning to lose the plot!

Get a grip and try some critical thinking.

NotSpaghetti Thu 22-Oct-20 19:13:49

Urmstongran

Perhaps think on some of these Alegrias?

stream.org/30-good-things-president-trump-has-done-for-america/

The Stream is a right-wing Christian website founded by a Televangelist. It says it “challenges mainstream media”.

Elsewhere I read The Stream (is) a moderate Conspiracy website based on promotion of right-wing conspiracies and a strong Pseudoscience site for promotion of climate change denial and creationism, as well as non-scientific information regarding homosexuality. (D. Van Zandt 12/9/2016) Updated (8/9/2019)

varian Thu 22-Oct-20 19:00:18

I some voters actually believe that the Democrats want to put them into concentration camps they will believe anything.

suziewoozie Thu 22-Oct-20 18:51:16

Urmstongran

The elephant in the room tonight.

Joe Biden has used his drug addicted son. Did Hunter want his laptop to be discovered? That's what I wonder.

Yet another conspiracy theory - it’s all the Trump band have got isn’t it?

LadyHonoriaDedlock Thu 22-Oct-20 18:07:43

Urmstongran

I also like Trump because he’s not a politician. He has a direct and fresh way of looking at a situation. He puts America first.

He demonstrated the imbalance of NATO payments and called out EU member states for underpaying.

Other stuff too but I went over it all weeks ago. Too boring to read all over again for most.

"Welcome to the Neurology Department at St Custard's Hospital, Ms Mitchell. You are in the best possible hands with Mr Shifty, who will be performing your brain surgery. The great thing is that Mr Shifty isn't a brain surgeon, he's a property developer, and I'm sure you'll find that a direct and fresh way of looking at your operation and feel reassured.

Urmstongran Thu 22-Oct-20 17:21:01

The elephant in the room tonight.

Joe Biden has used his drug addicted son. Did Hunter want his laptop to be discovered? That's what I wonder.

Alegrias2 Thu 22-Oct-20 17:18:30

suziewoozie

I mostly agree Aleg but drawing parallels between such different examples diminishes the utter awfulness of what DT said. Context is also relevant.

you are right, of course sw.