Gransnet forums

News & politics

John Sentamu not offered life peerage....

(52 Posts)
MayBee70 Sun 18-Oct-20 12:21:40

Why? Now, I’m not in the habit of meeting bishops or arch bishops on a regular basis but I have met him and he is the loveliest person you could ever meet. Didn’t know that bishops etc were automatically offered peerages anyway but why the snub? Mind you, he probably wouldn’t want it anyway but that’s not the point. I suppose he’s upset someone at some point. Cummings perhaps.....

Callistemon Wed 21-Oct-20 18:39:05

Rather Yes but, No but.

varian Wed 21-Oct-20 18:05:57

Yes, but .... (says Tory HQ)

M0nica Tue 20-Oct-20 21:24:44

How typical of this and the last two conservative adminstrations. Do (or do not do something) and then back down and change things back when enough people complain

I wish they would just think things through properly to begin with and then stick with it. In this case have thought hard and realised how much the House of Lords would benefit from John Sentamu's wisdom and knowledge and appointed him to it.

MayBee70 Mon 19-Oct-20 18:15:56

I’ve heard that the government have said it was an error of some kind but don‘t have any details. If that is the case I think the error was that they thought no one would notice or care.

Lucca Mon 19-Oct-20 18:12:16

All quiet on the pro government front ?

varian Mon 19-Oct-20 18:08:26

The House of Lords is a nonsense and should be abolished or at least drastically reformed. Nick Clegg tried to do that but was blocked by the Tories.

However, as it still exists, we should have peers proposed on merit, such as John Sentanu, the first black archbishop in the Cof E, and John Bercow, the longest serving Speaker of the House of Commons for many years, who worked hard to defend the elected parliament against assault by an undemocratic corrupt government, rather than the ridiculous brexit peers such as Clare Fox, Gisela Stuart and Beefy Botham.

Callistemon Mon 19-Oct-20 10:04:49

or get himself some better spokespeople and adviser

I think he does speak out but he's not a fiery orator.

He spoke out on Universal Credit, got a standing ovation from the unions on zero hours contracts, is against centralisation regarding dealing with COVID and thinks LAs etc should be provided with more funding to deal with their own areas, wants the government to continue with free meals during holidays etc etc.

Perhaps he's too 'gentlemanly' when up against such as Cummings, and does need a better publicist too.

suziewoozie Mon 19-Oct-20 00:08:34

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/18/uk-archbishops-urge-ministers-not-to-breach-international-law-over-brexit?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

suziewoozie Mon 19-Oct-20 00:06:22

Well goodness me, the C of E has been reading this thread - the two ABs and sundry Bs are having a right go about the Internal Market Bill. Go Bishes Go?

suziewoozie Sun 18-Oct-20 23:42:29

Well Call maybe he needs to think on what he’s speaking out about or get himself some better spokespeople and advisers . I think he comes across as a bit wet quite frankly .

Callistemon Sun 18-Oct-20 23:25:20

I think that perhaps what he says is just not reported.

He has spoken out against Government policies on many occasions.

suziewoozie Sun 18-Oct-20 23:17:00

The bishops didn’t thinly veil their attack on DC - they had more moral courage.

suziewoozie Sun 18-Oct-20 23:16:04

Well I clearly missed all that. I really don’t think he’s had a good pandemic though do you Call?

Callistemon Sun 18-Oct-20 23:14:24

He has spoken out against Government policy and again recently about too much centralisation ( was that a thinly veiled attack on Cummings?).

suziewoozie Sun 18-Oct-20 23:07:50

Callistemon

It's not to do with him disagreeing with Government policy as other Archbishops disagree too.

Welby has been very quiet in general - in fact I’d sort of forgotten he even existed and he said not a word re DC. But then JW is in the club isn’t he ? A white Etonian. What’s not to like? I bet there’ll be space for him when his time comes.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 18-Oct-20 22:56:19

First Bercow (tradition for retiring speakers going back centuries) but obviously the Tories don’t care and second, Sentamu. If they are trying to keep the numbers in the Lords down, what is Botham doing there and an IRA sympathiser?

Callistemon Sun 18-Oct-20 22:54:55

It's not to do with him disagreeing with Government policy as other Archbishops disagree too.

M0nica Sun 18-Oct-20 22:52:53

In the year of 'Black lives matter' can anyone think of a more crass and clotheared decision?

Apart from that John Sentamu is a giant among pygmies in the church of England. A man who risked his life to insist on the rule of law in Idi Amin's Uganda, which is why he had eventually to flee the country to save his life and then to follow a vocation and to rise up within the Anglican church.

Few people who received honours this Queen's birthday, was more deserving of a peerage than Dr Sentamu.

TwiceAsNice Sun 18-Oct-20 22:47:09

It’s just proof that he didn’t get it because of racism. It’s a disgrace

vegansrock Sun 18-Oct-20 21:27:49

Probably didn’t bung thousands to the Tory party.

vampirequeen Sun 18-Oct-20 20:13:36

Very dodgy reasoning. They're trying to increase the Tory majority and are probably worried that he won't agree with them or be willing to keep his mouth shut about things they'd like to keep hidden.

Callistemon Sun 18-Oct-20 20:03:20

suziewoozie

No one criticises Cummings and gets away with it imo

Of course it must be - that's why I asked earlier:
Whose decision was this?

Lucca Sun 18-Oct-20 19:57:50

Very poor judgment. H of L should be a thing of the past but as it is not then this is an insult.

suziewoozie Sun 18-Oct-20 18:07:50

No one criticises Cummings and gets away with it imo

Parsley3 Sun 18-Oct-20 17:58:54

I didn’t know that SW. If that is the true reason, then I am even more disgusted.