Gransnet forums

News & politics

Respect for Prue Leith

(44 Posts)
biba70 Sun 25-Oct-20 10:49:18

At least one Conservative woman in our generation who has had the courage to put her hands up and say 'I voted for Brexit but I was wrong to believe the lies and will not be quiet'.

Good for her- for not being in 100% denial of the reality of No Deal Brexit.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 25-Oct-20 10:56:32

We have to fervently hope for a Biden win, otherwise Johnson is going for no deal with Trumps support apparently.

It is so good to see people of courage, and Leith is one of those?

MayBee70 Sun 25-Oct-20 11:43:09

Having just written to Nadine Dorries to thank her for speaking in parliament about mask wearing and Sweden I think it’s important that we contact people to thank them when they stand up for something we believe in, so looks like I’ll have to write to Prue Leith now, too. The good thing is her political views put me off watching Bake Off so I can now happily watch it again. Win win situation!

biba70 Sun 25-Oct-20 12:01:21

Ah lol MayBee70 - enjoy

MaizieD Sun 25-Oct-20 12:03:26

Has she condemned everything or just food standards?

biba70 Sun 25-Oct-20 12:05:23

'Just' food standards and the planned wholesale destruction of our agriculture and farming. But at least she has had the guts to put hands up and say 'I was wrong- should have listened to warnings that were clear'. Will do me, for now.

MaizieD Sun 25-Oct-20 12:06:18

I don't think that condemning just one facet is particularly praiseworthy..

Does she still approve of starving children, for example?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 25-Oct-20 12:10:28

She has resigned from the Tory party, so that is something I suppose.

petra Sun 25-Oct-20 12:20:33

biba70
This isn't the first time you've made up your own agenda to suit your opinion ( that's the polite way of putting it)
Yes, Pru Lieth has expressed that she's worried about British farming. But nowhere does she say she is regretting her vote to leave.

MayBee70 Sun 25-Oct-20 12:26:53

I suppose it proves that people that voted leave only regret it if it affects them personally but don’t really give a damn about how it might affect others. imo

biba70 Sun 25-Oct-20 12:28:24

petra- she has resigned because she realised she and others, in the Conservative party, or not, have been badly deceived and sold down the river.

MayBee70 Sun 25-Oct-20 12:36:35

I spoke to a friend of mine yesterday, a lifelong Conservative voter, who is appalled by the people in the cabinet at this moment in time.

biba70 Sun 25-Oct-20 13:15:46

Same with some of our friends and family - they have been trying very hard to trust Johnson, but just can't anymore. One very close one has actually phoned us to apologise.

MayBee70 Sun 25-Oct-20 17:00:59

My friend has been reading excerpts from the book about Johnson that has been in The Times/Mail as well and is shocked by what she’s read.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Oct-20 17:06:52

I like Prue Leith I think she is a solid lady it’s a shame so many didn’t think more clearly before the dire deed was done
What a blooming mess we are in

lemongrove Sun 25-Oct-20 17:08:01

petra

biba70
This isn't the first time you've made up your own agenda to suit your opinion ( that's the polite way of putting it)
Yes, Pru Lieth has expressed that she's worried about British farming. But nowhere does she say she is regretting her vote to leave.

It doesn't suit the agenda does it? I wish people would wait and see what actually happens before bemoaning things.
We are very likely to agree a deal with the EU, and there is nothing to say that British farming is going down the pan.

biba70 Sun 25-Oct-20 17:11:18

Nothing? How on earth can you say that- do you not read up on things, study the issues, listen to the farmers, look at the facts?

But you are so right, let's wait- let's wait until it is all too late. Again, not sure if you are totally naïve, or... just can't put my finger on it, and could not put it into words.

lemongrove Sun 25-Oct-20 17:17:10

biba you are allowing Brexit to dominate your thoughts on all things, farming now, airports and queues yesterday etc.
No need to be personal btw.
As always on GN speculation is rife and waiting to see what actually happens is frowned on.

biba70 Sun 25-Oct-20 17:36:28

This is not personal- a genuine question in my mind. There is so much information out there that indicate that what you called 'Project Fear' is indeed 'Reality'.

I have spent most of the day outside, picking leaves, running with the dog, cutting and tidying- and my thoughts were not on Brexit, I can assure you. I truly cannot fathom how some of you are still in such massive denial.

Even, even if - we get some sort of Deal- it will never be as good as the one we had- partners, at the top table- and with some amazing exceptions and advantages. The Deal Mrs May cut was not good, but the very best possible. Johnson's Deal was much worse, in many ways. In the meantime, Johnson has alienated all in the EU by his sheer waste of time, reneging and everything agreed, and even breaking an international treaty. They all know he is waiting for the US elections- and they do not trust him one little bit, not his word either- meaning that the UK has lost its amazing reputation. If we do get a Deal, last minute, it will be the poorest possible. And if Trump does not win (and I pray, in my own way, that he ddoes NOT) we will not get a Deal with the USA, and in the meantime seen as weak and totally not trustworthy by the EU.

We could end up with very very little.

But yes, wait patiently and watch - until too late. Great way to proceed.

Jaberwok Sun 25-Oct-20 17:45:04

Honestly Lemon, I think you have the patience of a saint!! We live in rural Wiltshire and have many farming friends and they are all without any exception perfectly comfortable with farming going into the future. They realise it will be different, but are going forward with optimism and a degree of excitement! Perhaps less red tape?! We can only hope!!

biba70 Sun 25-Oct-20 17:48:47

Sure, those pigs will fly.

Less red tape? really? and no tarifs as now' Yes, dear, of course.

Jaberwok Sun 25-Oct-20 18:02:51

Why do you always have to be so rude?! I knew you would be that's why I'm very loath to post on this thread anymore! incidentally no one farms pigs round here!

Curlywhirly Sun 25-Oct-20 18:03:12

Jaberwok I am astounded that any farmer in the UK is optimistic and excited at the prospect of what Brexit will deliver for them, I have to say, I find that very hard to believe but hey ho, you live and learn!

biba70 Sun 25-Oct-20 18:09:53

Rude? Not really- sheep don't fly either btw.

Jaberwok Sun 25-Oct-20 18:11:31

Sorry I'm not prepared to discuss it on here! For obvious reasons. Other opinions or ideas about anything are always, without exception greeted with derision and contempt so what would be the point?!