Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jeremy Corbyn suspended from Labour Party

(1001 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Thu 29-Oct-20 13:35:00

According to the Guardian on line 1.08pm

A spokesman for the Labour Party said today "In light of comments made today and his failure to retract them subse, the Labour Party has suspended Jeremy. Robyn pending investigation.

He has also had the whip removed from the Parliamentary Labour Party.

This is after the release of the antisemitism report.

Galaxy Tue 24-Nov-20 18:04:03

The polls dont agree with you trisher that's the point. Anything could happen in 4 years and as I have said before I was never convinced that Starmer would end up as PM, I think his role is to make the labour party electable. We just disagree on the shape that should take.
I agree with you Casdon there is some extraordinarily odd stuff going on on this thread.

trisher Tue 24-Nov-20 17:53:16

growstuff sorry if I didn't make it clear. I was referring to all the posts that have accused the left of the party of not caring about the poor and leaving them to a perpetual Tory gov It seems to me that it's not the left controlling or responsibe for the situation.

growstuff Tue 24-Nov-20 17:44:36

trisher

ThanksGrany Much has been posted about how awful this s for the poorest in society and of course it is, what's ridiculous is to place the blame for this at anyone else's door except Starmer and his cronies. He becomes more unelectable with every day that passes.

Ahem! I'm actually one of the poorest in society (bottom 10% of income). How exactly is Starmer to blame for that? The last ten years of Conservative government have more to do with it. Not only that, but the last Labour manifesto would not have benefited me by one penny, presumably because I don't belong to one of the Labour left's "victim" groups.

trisher Tue 24-Nov-20 17:43:47

Galaxy do you really think anyone will vote for someone who has chopped and changed his political allegiances and been as two faced and duplicitous as Starmer? Especilly as he hasn't the charm of Boris Johnson.

Fennel Tue 24-Nov-20 17:42:52

Grany you say that the main part of your post of 16.30 today is from an article.
Can you give a link to the article?

growstuff Tue 24-Nov-20 17:41:11

Casdon

This thread is getting quite ridiculous - I’ve stayed off because I can’t help but laugh when I see some of the connotations the anti-Starmer, pro-Corbyn and pro Boris brigades of both political persuasions are prepared to develop out of thin air to ‘prove’ their arguments. A healthy political debate is fine, diatribes are not.

It's similar to what I've read about the French and Russian revolutionaries. It's endless name calling and hot air. All some of want is a government which is competent, not corrupt and and is actually in touch with people who suffer from inequality.

Casdon Tue 24-Nov-20 17:32:55

This thread is getting quite ridiculous - I’ve stayed off because I can’t help but laugh when I see some of the connotations the anti-Starmer, pro-Corbyn and pro Boris brigades of both political persuasions are prepared to develop out of thin air to ‘prove’ their arguments. A healthy political debate is fine, diatribes are not.

Galaxy Tue 24-Nov-20 17:26:42

That's not true though is it, he becomes unelectable to you thats a different thing. Poll ratings for the labour party have improved considerably under starmers leadership. We will probably go through a wobble in the polls whilst this plays out but this was always going to happen.

trisher Tue 24-Nov-20 17:10:13

ThanksGrany Much has been posted about how awful this s for the poorest in society and of course it is, what's ridiculous is to place the blame for this at anyone else's door except Starmer and his cronies. He becomes more unelectable with every day that passes.

Grany Tue 24-Nov-20 16:47:51

Thank you Oldtimer60

Oldtimer60 Tue 24-Nov-20 16:43:21

Great truthful factual post Grany.?

Galaxy Tue 24-Nov-20 16:33:49

Anyone who thinks twitter is a reflection of the real world is going to get the same shock they did at the last election.
Oh and the Keith thing is so zany.

Grany Tue 24-Nov-20 16:30:08

When the internal Labour report was leaked to the public, the new party leader Sir Keir Starmer was accused of attempting a cover up. Even worse, he was accused of promoting some of those named in the report - which let's not forget shows evidence of horrendous behaviour - from the racist bullying of MPs to the deliberate sabotage of general elections.

If the accusations are true, then they are truly damning.

Not only would the culprits have to face immediate expulsion but possibly even prosecution. And if the Labour leader is as close to the suspects as he appears to be, he would surely have to resign.

The anger from the Labour membership is palpable. When Starmer announced an investigation into the investigation(!), eyeballs rolled and understandably so. Surely, the appointment of Martin Forde QC was an attempted stitch-up, wasn't it? Not so fast...

A party insider has stated to The Guardian, the ongoing investigation is proving a "nightmare" and the Forde team want to "look into everything". It would seem the promised independent investigation is turning out to be just that. And it would also seem the last thing those suspected of wrongdoing want is proper scrutiny. What if the Labour leaks report is only the tip of the iceberg?

The recent EHRC report into Labour antisemitism was labelled a stitch-up by the left, a politicised attempt to bring Corbyn down. But despite hysteria from the mainstream media, it's reasonable to say nothing in the report was particularly damning of Corbyn himself. Indeed, it showed the only times his team were guilty of wrongdoing was when they interfered to speed up and improve processes.

It would seem most of the wrongdoing arose when Labour had a general secretary who was openly hostile to Corbyn in Iain McNicol. You could make a convincing argument, based on the EHRC report, that failings on antisemitism came from the hard right of the party, not the left. Good luck trying to find anyone who would point that out in the mainstream media.

So the EHRC report failed to destroy Corbyn as the Starmerists hoped. But the Forde investigation may well destroy Starmer.

Let's consider what is taking place here.

We have Starmer facing the possibility of legal action from all angles. Some of those named in the Labour leaks report were given six-figure compensation packages, but many other former staff members are said to be considering legal action too.

We also have Corbyn (and others supportive of him) considering legal action, based on the withdrawal of the whip and the outrageous shenanigans surrounding Labour leaks. It's worth pointing out, Starmer's action following Corbyn's reinstatement by the NEC is probably unlawful and flies in the face of the EHRC report.

Multiple court cases could seriously impact Labour's finances, especially if the party were to lose. When you combine this possibility with a huge reduction in membership numbers (meaning a huge drop in income), and the recent reduction in funding from Unite, things are looking rather grim. Whichever way Starmer goes next, he is looking at potential court action from one or both sides. The last thing Starmer needs is an independent report (which he arranged) which shows him and his people in a bad light.

And look at the huge outpouring of public support on Twitter for Jeremy Corbyn last night. We're talking well in excess of 100,000 tweets using the #WeSupportCorbyn hashtag.

The Labour left are clearly mad at Starmer. But so too are the Labour hard right. They've been expressing their sheer disgust that he is too lenient on Corbyn and the Labour left in their view! They want an all-out purge and they're certainly not being quiet about it. The Labour Party is at civil war.

Starmer made the mistake of siding with the Labour hard right under the belief this would make things easier for him. What he failed to understand is the hard right didn't want a leader who would placate them. They wanted a leader who they could control, a leader who would destroy the left at all costs. These people were happy to see Labour lose the last two general elections and couldn't give a damn if Labour loses the next one.

Starmer, in his naivety, thought the right could be placated, and that if he simply got rid of Corbyn, the left would get back into their box. He ran as the "unity candidate" and he really thought he could create the illusion of party unity with this McCarthyite nonsense. This shows him to be a staggeringly inept political operator.

Starmer has already burnt his bridges with the left, but he can never satiate the bloodlust of the right, because Labour's union backers won't allow him to. (Certainly not without an almighty fight.) Starmer could soon be without support from his faction of the party and I'm hearing murmurings it may be them who ultimately push him out.

While Starmer may have some support from those who neither consider themselves on the left or right of the party, they can't have failed to notice Labour's awful polling. The man who promised to be 20 points ahead is trailing behind the worst government in living memory. It seems voters want more than Brylcreem and a Hugo Boss suit from a leader. They want representation.

The likes of Len McCluskey and Howard Beckett have not been pulling any punches in their condemnations of the current leader, and both have demanded the whip be restored to Corbyn. Not only is Starmer running the risk of unions cutting funding from Labour, but if he stays on this path, some unions may disaffiliate altogether.

What's more likely is the unions will push for a leadership challenge in 2021, and it will be interesting to see which candidate they'd back. The smart money would be on deputy leader Angela Rayner, but she may struggle to win the support she'd need from the left, because many feel betrayed by her recent criticisms of Corbyn. Maybe a contender more appealing to the left will emerge in time. We shall see...

And let's not forget, the conclusion of the Forde inquiry will possibly implicate those staff and MPs Starmer has surrounded himself with. If that happens, we might not need a leadership challenge in 2021 after all. Starmer, having lost the support of both the left and right, might be forced to resign.

I'm told internal Whatsapp messages, which are yet to be made public, would show Starmer has lied to the public about Corbyn's suspension and that his team helped word the controversial Facebook post. If my source turns out to be correct, it would seem Starmer has checkmated himself.

This could turn out to be one shortlived leadership.

Update

Since this article was published, it has emerged Starmer liked a Twitter thread in 2018 which suggested the scale of antisemitism within Labour was greatly exaggerated for political purposes. Starmer has recently said anyone who believes this, i.e., Jeremy Corbyn, is "part of the problem". It looks the Keith may well need to suspend himself now. Oops.

Well well well. I wonder who would like a tweet flagging up a thread containing (I quote) “videos of Jewish Labour members speaking out against the fake/exaggerated/politically motivated Antisemitism smears”?

Galaxy Tue 24-Nov-20 16:19:34

grin

Oldtimer60 Tue 24-Nov-20 15:50:08

The Unite Union alone has donated over seven million to the Labour Party in the last twenty months. Corbin leader built the membership. Up to nearly half a million but that is now rapidly falling with the party already in serious financial deficient due to its overwhelming bureaucracy and financial mismanagement under Starmer and his lapdog General Secretary.

trisher Tue 24-Nov-20 15:31:33

As far as Margaret Beckett goes the NEC like most other bodies has an accepted protocol that the vice chair succeeded the retiring chair. This is useful for many reasons including the fact tha tthe VC has usually worked closely with the retiring chair so is up-to date with most things. MB was only proposed as a direct challenge to the left wing. It's actually quite sad that the right wing of the party feel they have to be so dogmatic and unaccommodating to their fellow Labour members.

Galaxy Tue 24-Nov-20 15:23:19

Annibach yes who decides what is harm is very important. There are those on this thread who think Corbyn s statement caused no harm, I disagree with them, it's why free speech is very complex.

growstuff Tue 24-Nov-20 15:20:10

trisher

Unite has already cut its funding to the LP -https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54444143

It's not an insignificant amount, but it's still a small fraction of the Labour Party's total funding.

growstuff Tue 24-Nov-20 15:18:24

Ilovecheese

If people think that the unions will not leave because they have nowhere else to go, well I'm not so sure that works. Isn't that what Peter Mandelson said about working class voters in the so called "red wall". people can be pushed too far .

I'm not sure that Unite speaks for all unions.

Ilovecheese Tue 24-Nov-20 15:14:58

I've nothing against Margaret Beckett.

Ilovecheese Tue 24-Nov-20 15:13:27

If people think that the unions will not leave because they have nowhere else to go, well I'm not so sure that works. Isn't that what Peter Mandelson said about working class voters in the so called "red wall". people can be pushed too far .

Oldtimer60 Tue 24-Nov-20 15:01:22

MayBee70

Can anyone explain to me why Margaret Beckett is a bad choice? She even supported his bid to become party leader. She’s a thoroughly decent politician: a real elder statesperson at a time when many of them have fallen by the wayside.

The only thing that Margaret Beckett has been constantly in favour of throughout her time in politics has been Margaret Beckett.

When has she ever spoken out in support of those on zero hours employment contracts, those on Gig Economy terms of working, for those trapped in poor private sector housing and for many more at the bottom of the ladder? Once more we see the party of Blair being pushed to the fore, and without doubt, it will not be long before Starmer will be trying to sale the Labour Party to the Bankers the arms manufacturers and once again the likes of Rupert Murdoch just as Blair did, and we all know how that ended up.

Some "Labour" Party that was and the right wishes to have that again. Well, it made Blair a multi millionaire, so I suppose Starmer can see the attraction in pursuing the same path.

trisher Tue 24-Nov-20 15:00:20

Unite has already cut its funding to the LP -https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54444143

MaizieD Tue 24-Nov-20 14:51:49

Sorry, Annie, I must have missed it. I haven't read recent posts in great detail.

Anniebach Tue 24-Nov-20 14:29:36

I have said why I think they won’t leave ,

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion