Gransnet forums

News & politics

All eyes now turn to Brexit.

(370 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Nov-20 08:17:35

There are rumours that the U.K. in wavering in its negotiations.

At long last reality is setting in.

A couple of reasons.

It is likely that Trump, who has supported Brexit and promised a “great deal” ?has been defeated. Johnson has lost his only foreign supporter.

Looking at the economic forecast it is grim. Our figures are the worst in the western world at the moment and will take another huge hit if Johnson commits hari kari and goes for No deal.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 05-Dec-20 10:03:06

Both Johnson and Macron need to win over the fishery issue.

JenniferEccles Sat 05-Dec-20 09:59:44

I suspect it will go to the wire.
The EU wants a deal as much as we do.

MaizieD Fri 04-Dec-20 22:32:42

GrannyGravy13

EU also want to limit the amount the UK government can bail out/help UK businesses because they think it will give UK businesses an advantage??

It's state aid rules and the same would apply under WTO, and probably form part of any FTA with another country.

It was also possible to do in the EU.

I wouldn't get too excited about it. No-one's going to give us a trade deal that allows us to undercut their products by state subsidies.

Urmstongran Fri 04-Dec-20 22:17:02

Pass the tartar sauce.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 04-Dec-20 21:44:00

EU also want to limit the amount the UK government can bail out/help UK businesses because they think it will give UK businesses an advantage??

Urmstongran Fri 04-Dec-20 21:02:28

The news reports indicate differently biba70. - seems Macron is flexing his muscles over fishing rights. It’s a very big deal to them. Plus elections are next May and he is very aware of standing up for French interests with an eye to re-election.

The EU will squash him down this weekend.

MayBee70 Fri 04-Dec-20 20:28:20

Remember Johnson’s sister said in an article that he had friends that would make a lot of money out of no deal.

biba70 Fri 04-Dec-20 19:53:05

M. Barnier put out a official message saying negotiations had failed again. I am increasingly sure ERG are totally deliberately scuppering the deal- and had no intention ever to try and get one- ever.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 04-Dec-20 16:30:00

Oh dear why am I not remotely surprised?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 04-Dec-20 12:46:00

MaizieD

^It occurred to me that living nearish to the channel ports I could nip over and buy food^

Once you have your international driving licence and your green card and travel insurance and at least 6 months left on your passport... No just nipping across the Channel to stock up after 31st December...

I know, so depressing. I used to like nipping across say at Christmas to buy extra special goodies etc.

MaizieD Fri 04-Dec-20 12:34:46

It occurred to me that living nearish to the channel ports I could nip over and buy food

Once you have your international driving licence and your green card and travel insurance and at least 6 months left on your passport... No just nipping across the Channel to stock up after 31st December...

biba70 Fri 04-Dec-20 12:19:15

Opened a new thread and a link on the subject Wwmk2

Whitewavemark2 Fri 04-Dec-20 12:09:42

Thousands of EU road hauliers have decided not to bother with travel to the U.K. in the new year because of the potential disruption and delay - time is money.

There is likely to be vast food shortages.

It occurred to me that living nearish to the channel ports I could nip over and buy food, but of course covid will be an issue as well as Brexit☹️☹️☹️☹️.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 04-Dec-20 11:40:07

GillT57

^We’ve really got to wake up to theses lies^ But just what will it take vegansrock? I started typing out the litany of lies, obfuscation, deliberate misrepresentation, careless lack of research, general stupidity etc., and then discarded it because there are some who just will not believe what is there in front of them. Frankly, if a member of the current cabinet told me it was Friday, I would check. I truly despair that the dogged belief in Brexit is forcing people to compromise their moral code, to believe blatant lies, to nod when some fool of a minister tells them something they know to be untrue, is it really worth it?

It is just like the Trump followers, they simply will not believe what is staring them in the face.

Psychologists must have a word for this phenomena

GillT57 Fri 04-Dec-20 11:09:39

We’ve really got to wake up to theses lies But just what will it take vegansrock? I started typing out the litany of lies, obfuscation, deliberate misrepresentation, careless lack of research, general stupidity etc., and then discarded it because there are some who just will not believe what is there in front of them. Frankly, if a member of the current cabinet told me it was Friday, I would check. I truly despair that the dogged belief in Brexit is forcing people to compromise their moral code, to believe blatant lies, to nod when some fool of a minister tells them something they know to be untrue, is it really worth it?

vegansrock Fri 04-Dec-20 06:12:11

Being in the EU wouldn’t have stopped us banning live export of animals if we’d wanted to . This is another government spin on trying to persuade us that Brexit is a good thing . Like claiming we are getting COVID vaccine because we’re not in the EU , even though it’s coming from Belgium and was a truly international effort. At least Johnson didn’t lie about that one it was a dim cabinet minister. And the one about getting cheaper soy sauce ( we won’t). We’ve really got to wake up to theses lies.

Ramblingrose22 Fri 04-Dec-20 00:55:15

Ah well, if Farage said it it must be true!

Urmstongran Thu 03-Dec-20 21:17:21

Maybe as well it didn’t happen. I remember Farage saying it would give us all indigestion for years.

MayBee70 Thu 03-Dec-20 20:45:24

But, it was an oven ready deal last year. It’s what this government was voted in for. I don’t understand.

Urmstongran Thu 03-Dec-20 20:31:11

Seems the EU have just brought in something at the 11th hour and talks have stalled ....

Nail biting stuff.

Hold your nerve Lord Frost.

Urmstongran Thu 03-Dec-20 20:17:18

But, please don't pretend that this was the reason for voting Brexit for the majority of leaver

I never inferred it was Gill57.

I was just sharing some more GOOD NEWS about Brexit.
?

petra Thu 03-Dec-20 19:53:01

biba70
I don't know if he said that or not.
What he has said is ^Teaching black history will not be a choice, it will be mandatory'
Choosing to share the good bits isn't part of your agenda, is it?

Lucretzia Thu 03-Dec-20 19:51:39

David0205

Not sure what you're lolling about.

From the Guardian article mentioned above

An estimated 6,400 animals were sent to Europe for slaughter in 2018, according to Defra. Many of those left through the port of Ramsgate in Kent

GillT57 Thu 03-Dec-20 19:51:34

Live animal exports are horrific, and if leaving EU does stop them then I will be very pleased. But, please don't pretend that this was the reason for voting Brexit for the majority of leavers. I don't remember Farage lecturing the electorate about the immoral practice, but then again I did always turn off the tv when he was on.

GillT57 Thu 03-Dec-20 19:47:53

And now Gavin Williamson boasts that at last WW2 will be allowed to be studied in UK schools, now the EU can't forbid it. My kids certainly did study WW2, so did all the kids in all the schools I taught. And my grandchildren recently too- big project last year on WW2 by grandson. I am sure even he did ... not that long ago That silly boy pretending to be a grown up by wearing his Dad's suit you mean? What an absolute idiot he is, and yet many people believe him. My adult children, in their early 20s, both studied WW2.