Gransnet forums

News & politics

Mink Farms in Denmark

(91 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Sat 07-Nov-20 12:05:11

I was under the impression that animal welfare was high and regulations strict in mainland EU Countries, but after seeing videos and reports from Mink Farms in Denmark I am disgusted!!!

The Mink have caught Covid-19 from their jailers it has mutated and they have in turn passed it back to the human race!!!

Apparently the mutation is on the spurs of the virus (not sure of the technical name) which enables the virus to attach to human cells.

Sparkling Mon 09-Nov-20 06:24:31

I will avoid all Danish products now. Disgusted.

Callistemon Sun 08-Nov-20 22:59:53

My friend got me some 'This isn't bacon' vegan rashers that smell the same and taste pretty good!

Why?
If I were vegan that would nauseate me, I think.

Callistemon Sun 08-Nov-20 22:58:45

Callistemon, farmers just supply what we demand. As demand falls, they diversify
I know

Granny and eggs come to mind.
And no, my family were/are not livestock farmers although they were dairy farmers a few generations ago.
Nor are they poultry or egg farmers.

Hetty58 Sun 08-Nov-20 22:03:02

People only work in abattoirs as a last resort - or because they're illegal immigrants:

www.independent.co.uk/voices/coronavirus-slaughterhouse-abattoir-spread-infection-ptsd-mental-health-a9593511.html

Hetty58 Sun 08-Nov-20 21:53:23

No they don't vegansrock, they just prefer not to think about it. Some can't imagine not eating meat.

I ate it as a child, then went veggie at 12, then vegan. I've never missed it, although I do like the smell of bacon cooking (for some odd reason).

My friend got me some 'This isn't bacon' vegan rashers that smell the same and taste pretty good!

vegansrock Sun 08-Nov-20 20:37:10

Our standards are not much higher than the EU, there are countries in the EU that are higher than ours, and some are lower, If we are to import from countries such as the USA after Brexit, we will have to accept lower standards than the EU minimum, as USA have lower standards than the EU. I doubt if most people inspect the farm and abattoirs their meat comes from.

Hetty58 Sun 08-Nov-20 19:56:59

Callistemon, farmers just supply what we demand. As demand falls, they diversify. Omnivores have a (vast) choice in what they choose to eat. Farmed animals have no choice.

At least, we can hope that's the end for mink farms. It would be unwise to create those same conditions again, ready for the next pandemic.

It would seem sensible to stop crowding any animals into factory farms - for the same reason.

“In fact, if one person is unkind to an animal it is considered to be cruelty, but where a lot of people are unkind to animals, especially in the name of commerce, the cruelty is condoned and, once large sums of money are at stake, will be defended to the last by otherwise intelligent people.”–Ruth Harrison, Animal Machine

Callistemon Sun 08-Nov-20 19:45:00

I will buy a turkey even if I have to cook it and freeze most of it.

Support the farmers!

petra Sun 08-Nov-20 19:41:29

Callistemon
That's why 53% of British farmers voted to leave the eu.
They know the truth.

Callistemon Sun 08-Nov-20 19:35:13

Yes.

But my Duchy Organic chicken was delicious.
I am an omnivore.

Hetty58 Sun 08-Nov-20 19:34:05

All animal farming, anywhere, involves cruelty. It's just a case of more or less cruel methods being used. Therefore, all meat consumption depends on innocent creatures being harmed. At least admit that!

Callistemon Sun 08-Nov-20 19:24:42

Leaving the EU has given the green light for us to lower our standards

I realise now that our standards are much higher than those of the EU so why we should lower them below those of the EU is a mystery!

MayBee70 Sun 08-Nov-20 19:20:56

I saw a programme recently about mink and their close relatives: otters, stoats, martens etc. They are highly intelligent animals ( being able to solve very complex problems that other animals can’t) and the thought of them being kept in such awful conditions is horrifying. I’m also worried that COVID might infect otters etc.

NfkDumpling Sun 08-Nov-20 07:55:45

A good reason to use your local butcher so you know exactly which farm your meat comes from Vegan!

vegansrock Sun 08-Nov-20 07:44:22

www.peta.org.uk/blog/red-tractor-farms/

Here are some pictures from “higher welfare pig farms” in the U.K.

Witzend Sun 08-Nov-20 07:39:45

I’m another who was astonished to read this yesterday - thanks for posting, OP.
I’ve long avoided Danish bacon (and in fact any non U.K., non higher welfare pork or bacon) because of the factory farming issue, and I don’t like Lurpak anyway.

I was thinking yesterday that I wouldn’t mind betting that a lot of the mink skins go to China - hardly renowned for its animal welfare - so not at all surprised to see that confirmed here.

vegansrock Sun 08-Nov-20 06:39:44

Leaving the EU has given the green light for us to lower our standards - we weren’t stopped from raising them as members.

vegansrock Sun 08-Nov-20 06:38:38

Don’t blame the EU for poor animal welfare - it’s the same everywhere- individual countries were perfectly free to have higher standards, the Netherlands has higher standards than the U.K. and they are in the EU. Our standards are very low in many areas so don’t fool yourself that we are superior. Mink farms are disgusting and let’s hope bringing this into the open spells an end to this trade in Denmark.

welbeck Sun 08-Nov-20 00:52:54

i'm a bit surprised that people didn't know about mink farming, given that i did know of it, and i know nothing about fur or fashion. not my interest.

maddyone Sun 08-Nov-20 00:45:16

I’m another one who had not the first idea that mink was farmed at all, let alone farmed in so many EU countries, and America. Why does anyone need a fur coat, or anything else fur?
I’ve never thought much of EU animal welfare. I don’t think much of our animal welfare either, but it’s decidedly better than European animal welfare, or American animal welfare.

NfkDumpling Sat 07-Nov-20 22:03:39

Callistemon

^I trust all you disgusted people are vegetarians.^

Nope

But I can see the difference between keeping farm animals in humane conditions for omnivores to eat and keeping wild animals in cages for the vanity of wearing fur.

Ditto Callistemon I also know the value of grazing animals in maintaining biodiversity. But that's getting off topic.

lemongrove Sat 07-Nov-20 21:31:29

Jaberwok

One of the reasons I voted to leave the EU was their dismal animal welfare record! There were other reasons as well, but this was a definite consideration.

It’s actually shocking isn’t it?

lemongrove Sat 07-Nov-20 21:28:34

boodymum67

Hi, I saw this and was incensed with anger..it brought me to tears.

Like you Grannygravy, I thought about animal welfare and I naively thought fur trading/farming was illegal. Show how ignorant I am!

You haven't mentioned it, but I`m sure you will have seen that Denmark is culling 17 million mink, because covid has mutated, got into the mink and then passed to humans. Several people are affected. Karma or what!

The film showed one little mink trying to make a getaway and was caught and put into a `container. Grrr!

Who on earth wants or needs a real fur?

Good post, well said ??????

vegansrock Sat 07-Nov-20 19:02:07

www.kinderworld.org/videos/egg-industry/baby-chicks-ground-up-alive/

This happens in the U.K.

Hetty58 Sat 07-Nov-20 18:54:40

boodymum67, you said 'was caught and put into a container'. No, that was a shredder - it made me feel very sick watching that on the news!