Gransnet forums

News & politics

Mink Farms in Denmark

(90 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Sat 07-Nov-20 12:05:11

I was under the impression that animal welfare was high and regulations strict in mainland EU Countries, but after seeing videos and reports from Mink Farms in Denmark I am disgusted!!!

The Mink have caught Covid-19 from their jailers it has mutated and they have in turn passed it back to the human race!!!

Apparently the mutation is on the spurs of the virus (not sure of the technical name) which enables the virus to attach to human cells.

Riverwalk Sat 07-Nov-20 12:34:06

Their treatment of pigs is just as bad - I avoid Danish products.

Pigs

GrannyGravy13 Sat 07-Nov-20 12:36:13

We buy locally cured bacon from the farm shop.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 07-Nov-20 12:39:21

One of our DILs is Danish and our GC is studying there at the moment, no idea how long the travel ban from Denmark to UK will last? Haven’t seen GC since we dropped them at the airport first weekend in January.

boodymum67 Sat 07-Nov-20 12:40:45

Hi, I saw this and was incensed with anger..it brought me to tears.

Like you Grannygravy, I thought about animal welfare and I naively thought fur trading/farming was illegal. Show how ignorant I am!

You haven't mentioned it, but I`m sure you will have seen that Denmark is culling 17 million mink, because covid has mutated, got into the mink and then passed to humans. Several people are affected. Karma or what!

The film showed one little mink trying to make a getaway and was caught and put into a `container. Grrr!

Who on earth wants or needs a real fur?

Riverwalk Sat 07-Nov-20 12:41:04

Last year, Ole Kjaer was the number one pig farmer in Denmark. Unsurprisingly, in the land of Danish bacon, this is a pretty hotly contested award.

The biggest factor in his high profit rate? The astonishing productivity of his pigs. Each of Kjaer’s sows produces an average of 41 piglets a year.

In the UK, the average sow produces 25.8 pigs a year. In the US that number rises to 26.4. But in Denmark, the world’s laboratory for industrial pig farming, the average sow produces 33.3 piglets – and some farmers, like Kjaer, manage to push that figure even higher. Some believe that one day they could even reach the magic number of 50.

These figures are very revealing.

Jaberwok Sat 07-Nov-20 12:42:32

I absolutely agree GG13! I was astonished to learn that a country like Denmark still engaged in this appalling trade. Apparently the Dutch have these farms as well (!!) but they are being phased out! How on earth can this be happening in an EU country when the EU boasts about about high animal welfare standards, accusing us, who outlawed this trade 20 years ago, of being lax in this respect!!! The same EU who turns a blind eye to whaling, the Faroe Islands (Denmark) Fois Gras (France) veal crates, battery hens, transportation of live, often very young animals hundreds of miles, and so it goes on!The hypocrisy of these people is mind blowing! Thank god when we no longer have to go along with it all!

avitorl Sat 07-Nov-20 12:42:54

When I saw how the Mink were being kept I thought being culled,as long as it was done humanely,would be a relief from their sad lives. I can't imagine anyone wanting to wear a fur coat now.
I don't eat any animals wherever they are from.

Iam64 Sat 07-Nov-20 12:43:34

I haven't looked at the footage but I'd never buy a real fur product.

I wouldn't buy one of those popular coats made from Canada goose either. They are made from coyote pelts.
Also, avoid those goose feather pillows and duvets. Feathers plucked from live animals, well they're alive when the plucking starts

ExD Sat 07-Nov-20 12:43:41

One reason I wanted to leave the EU. Their treatment of animals is appalling. The laws are there, we follow them in the UK so they are breaking their own rules.
I don't buy Danish bacon or milk (check your milk, and eggs, they're not all home produced)

Riverwalk Sat 07-Nov-20 12:45:46

Jaberwok

I absolutely agree GG13! I was astonished to learn that a country like Denmark still engaged in this appalling trade. Apparently the Dutch have these farms as well (!!) but they are being phased out! How on earth can this be happening in an EU country when the EU boasts about about high animal welfare standards, accusing us, who outlawed this trade 20 years ago, of being lax in this respect!!! The same EU who turns a blind eye to whaling, the Faroe Islands (Denmark) Fois Gras (France) veal crates, battery hens, transportation of live, often very young animals hundreds of miles, and so it goes on!The hypocrisy of these people is mind blowing! Thank god when we no longer have to go along with it all!

The UK also has crated pigs and battery hens, and transports live animals.

Jaberwok Sat 07-Nov-20 12:47:12

You're so right about the pigs! It's disgusting and would never ever touch any Danish meat of any sort, ditto Dutch! they're, I sorry to say, equally as bad! Why does the EU allow these abuses?!!!

Jaberwok Sat 07-Nov-20 12:50:49

After we get out of the clutches of Brussells, hopefully those practises will be banned. The transportation of live animals is in the government's sights thanks to Carrie Symonds who is a leading campaigner on these matters.

Vickysponge Sat 07-Nov-20 12:52:04

Jaberwok

Hear hear

petra Sat 07-Nov-20 13:00:00

No shock horror from me. I've known about it for years.
As for animal welfare in Europe: it's a myth and the further east you go, the worse it gets. This isn't 2nd hand information, I've seen it with my own eyes many times.

Jaberwok Sat 07-Nov-20 13:07:17

I agree Iam64. When we bought a new duvet, we made very sure that it was NOT feathers and down! I told the retailer why we wouldn't entertain one, and they were pretty shocked to learn of the dreadful cruelty associated with them! Ditto angora rabbits! You don't want to know!!! I know the further East you go the worse the cruelty is towards these helpless creatures, but I didn't cover expect it in Denmark or the Netherlands come to that!

boodymum67 Sat 07-Nov-20 13:08:51

I saw a lorry load of live sheep this week....in Yorkshire

nanasam Sat 07-Nov-20 13:11:52

I wonder about the Danish - take a look at this travel.earth/whale-slaughter-tradition-denmark/

So, add the poor mink to this and we don't appear to have a very animal friendly country.

Jaberwok Sat 07-Nov-20 13:19:52

Yuk! What disgusting people, why on earth.does Denmark allow this completely unnecessary slaughter?!!

Smileless2012 Sat 07-Nov-20 13:25:11

Hopefully it will put an end to their mink farms for good.

Jaberwok Sat 07-Nov-20 13:52:45

Why does the sanctimonious EU allow this slaughter?!! If those live sheep are being transported within the UK, they should be ok. It's when they get to the continent that regulations are chucked in the bin poor things!

Cherrytree59 Sat 07-Nov-20 13:54:16

It is unfortunate for the animal kingdom that Man evolved.

Post covid19, I wonder if any lessons will be have been learned?hmm

BlueBelle Sat 07-Nov-20 14:02:23

Whilst I agree with everything said, we are not that good in a lot of areas either ....hens and pigs in particular are sometimes kept in awful conditions in some places in U.K. and what about animals used for testing Its alright to be infuriated by other countries but we need to be clean ourselves I don’t eat meat and never buy eggs other than free range

Grannybags Sat 07-Nov-20 14:12:45

200 people in Denmark have the mink mutation of the virus and it is thought that this version will not respond to the vaccines that are being developed at the moment

petra Sat 07-Nov-20 14:16:02

The Spanish and Italian mink farms now have the virus.