Gransnet forums

News & politics

Biden is President elect

(316 Posts)
biba70 Sat 07-Nov-20 16:28:28

and the world breathes a massive sigh of relief - wow <3

Lucca Mon 09-Nov-20 22:40:45

Galaxy

And while we are waiting for the official sanctions we can just refer to him as the wanker.

Post of the day Galaxy!!

Dinahmo Mon 09-Nov-20 22:50:45

Before the latest lock down we met some Americans who moved to France just before the first lock down. Discussing their move with their friends and family they were asked about guns and carrying them. Total surprise from said f and f when the couple said that Europeans don't carry guns and those that do have them are hunters. This couple were desperate to leave America because of the toxic atmosphere.

I remember the first time I spent a holiday in Paris being shocked at the gendarmes wearing guns. Watching all those Americans on the streets with their armaments was very disturbing.

KaEllen Tue 10-Nov-20 00:56:07

Coming back to the original post: YES, enormous sigh of relief! Pop the champagne corks!!

Did anyone else read that NIGEL FARAGE lost a £10000 bet that Trump would be re-elected? I laughed out loud... another thoroughly unpleasant man getting his comeuppance. The icing on the cake!

rosecarmel Tue 10-Nov-20 05:04:03

He/they will make as much of a mess as legally possible- He will fire and hire, people will will resign-

It isn't over til it over- The electoral college still has to vote, then the election certified by Congress- Or not- There are legal loopholes-

What's certain is that Trump's term ends January 20th-

Biden is chomping at the bit to forge ahead, Trump is doing whatever he can to prevent him-

It is embarrassing- I understand that in politics that there are some really, really crappy tactics- But to insist that the election was rigged and stolen all while BOTH parties took part in the election process? WTF?

I give Trump credit for his accomplishments- Fully- But he also sold snake oil and half the country bought it- And that's not an accomplishment- It's a multi-faceted crisis of epic proportions that snake oil won't fix- What will?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 10-Nov-20 06:58:57

I think that America simply has to treat Trump now as an irrelevance.

Nothing will annoy him more , not being all about him and it will enable America to focus its mind on important stuff like covid, race issues, poverty etc.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 10-Nov-20 08:24:37

A tweet for every occasion

suziewoozie Tue 10-Nov-20 08:32:15

Whitewavemark2

Ah Twitter the repository of our foolishness - and even when you delete the evidence, some smartass has screen shotted it for posterity.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 10-Nov-20 08:36:05

suziewoozie

Whitewavemark2

Ah Twitter the repository of our foolishness - and even when you delete the evidence, some smartass has screen shotted it for posterity.

Good eh?

The emperor is naked.

lemongrove Tue 10-Nov-20 08:46:02

rosecarmel....good post.

Hetty58 Tue 10-Nov-20 08:53:05

It's cheered me up no end - a ray of hope for a brighter future!

biba70 Tue 10-Nov-20 09:39:17

Did anyone watch Newsnight last night - the scariest thing I've probably ever seen. The half crazed men and women in Phoenix, Arizona- armed to the teeth with the biggest assault riffles - with their babies in arms, toddlers in pushchairs and children of all ages.

It would only take on mad man to start, for whatever reason - and the country would burst into Civil War. We had so many wonderful visits to the US- but no way, for a very long time.

Parsley3 Tue 10-Nov-20 10:19:09

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities “
Voltaire

rosecarmel Tue 10-Nov-20 12:41:53

"Attorney General William Barr on Monday authorized the Department of Justice to investigate any "substantial allegations" of voter fraud in last week's election.

Meanwhile, here in Arizona, the Trump campaign, the Republican National Committee and the Arizona Republican Party had their first court hearing on Monday on their lawsuit — the one that contends Maricopa County poll workers “consistently, regularly and systematically” took action that deprived Trump of “potentially thousands” of votes.

Or, as it turns out, 180 votes

And that’s assuming every one of those 180 vote would have gone for Trump.

At issue are ballots cast in person on Election Day that contained an overvote or other irregularity. The tabulation machines kick out such ballots, giving voters the option of filling out a new ballot or resubmitting the ballot, knowing that the vote in the race being flagged may not count.

The lawsuit claims a large number of poll workers were encouraging people to resubmit the flagged ballots or actually doing it themselves, rather than setting the ballots aside for further review.

As they put it, "systematic poll worker error".

“If these ballots are reviewed and adjudicated by the Ballot Duplication Board, they will yield up to thousands of additional votes for President Trump and for other Republican candidates,” the lawsuit says.

And by “up to thousands” of votes for Trump, they apparently meant 180 at most ,assuming that Joe Biden didn't get any of them.

Deputy Maricopa County Attorney Tom Liddy told the judge on Monday that only 180 of the 165,860 cast in person on Election Day had potential overvotes in the presidential race.

“180,” Liddy said. “That’s it.”

This is the massive fraud that had angry Trump supporters descending nightly on the downtown Phoenix building where votes were being counted, railing against the conspiracy to "steal our vote"?

The judge set a hearing for Thursday morning at which time Trump's lawyers will have to produce actual evidence."

www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/laurieroberts/2020/11/09/trumps-claim-fraud-arizona-amounts-most-180-votes/6229791002/

Whitewavemark2 Tue 10-Nov-20 13:37:59

CNN reporting

So far Every single law suite by Trump has been thrown out.

biba70 Tue 10-Nov-20 13:41:59

thanks rosecarmel. Had no idea you lived in AZ. Family there and loved Sedona, Prescott, Flagstaff, etc.

Lucca Tue 10-Nov-20 13:44:15

This is a bit of silliness that I rather liked

biba70 Tue 10-Nov-20 14:08:38

And now for the best bit ever- I so hope this will be the case - YES

Barack Obama could become Joe Biden's UK ambassador in awkward move for Boris Johnson

biba70 Tue 10-Nov-20 14:24:30

Signing off to go to GiGung and a bit of sanity. But this has cheered me up no end- after a lovely walk in the woods in warm sunshine with little Emma dog.

Parsley3 Tue 10-Nov-20 14:31:15

Thank you rosecarmel for that post. It is good to hear some first hand details about how these legal challenges are proceeding.

MayBee70 Tue 10-Nov-20 16:01:52

Is Sedona where they sell all the crystal etc?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 10-Nov-20 16:24:10

biba70

And now for the best bit ever- I so hope this will be the case - YES

*Barack Obama could become Joe Biden's UK ambassador in awkward move for Boris Johnson*

????????

The Keynian done good! poetic justice.

rosecarmel Tue 10-Nov-20 16:33:15

FOX News Neil Cavuto shut down Trump's Press Secretary mid broadcast for conveying disinformation -

Whitewavemark2 Tue 10-Nov-20 16:35:26

rosecarmel

FOX News Neil Cavuto shut down Trump's Press Secretary mid broadcast for conveying disinformation -

Wish they would do that in this country.

Fox seems to be all over the place, don’t they have an overall editor?

Beammeup Tue 10-Nov-20 17:37:05

No reason to celebrate just yet. ""There may, of course, be 'non legal' reasons for not conceding defeat: vanity, an attempt to create a false narrative, a desire to continue with fund-raising, an exercise in contriving some leverage for a 'deal' exchanging cooperation on transition for immunity from prosecution, and so on."
davidallengreen.com/2020/11/the-longest-tuesday-the-us-election-one-week-later/"

GrannyGravy13 Tue 10-Nov-20 17:49:21

POTUS elect has had a phone conversation today with Boris Johnson, before speaking to other European leaders

According to BBC website.

Looks like the special relationship is alive and kicking.