Gransnet forums

News & politics

Channel 4 Dispatches programme 16 November

(10 Posts)
Anniezee Tue 17-Nov-20 11:17:18

Did anyone else see this programme about how the government has handled the pandemic? The way Randox Labs are handling the testing samples is horrific. You think of a laboratory and then see this - Amazon could do a better job and that's not a compliment! Companies given contracts to handle the telephone tracing - old boy's network in action, which politician is married to who etc. Millions of pounds of public money being spent and no accountability. Appalling!

Dinahmo Tue 17-Nov-20 11:28:53

I didn't watch the programme but was aware of most of the content. Like many others I have posted on here in the past about the cronyism that's taken place throughout this year.

Starmer raised in last week in PMQs but the PM went off piste and didn't give a serious answer.

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 17-Nov-20 13:56:56

I was aware of the contents of programme but watched it. What I find even more shocking is how no one is seriously holding this government to account. It makes you wonder what will have to happen before people do.!
Sadly those who are most at risk from this virus seem to be those who are least valued. I have a nasty feeling it will only be when the majority are affected either healthwise or economically people might get a little more feisty!

Dinahmo Tue 17-Nov-20 15:55:12

It won't be long before austerity measures return because or course the loans have to be paid back!

Doodledog Tue 17-Nov-20 16:15:51

It makes me so sad when people buy the line that 'we can't afford' this or that, when this debacle has shown that there is (and always has been) money sloshing about that could have been used to pay for so many things that would have transformed lives.

Pre-school funding, abolishing student fees, better pensions all round and compensation for all the women who lost out, feeding hungry children, operations done on time, a decent social security safety net, dentistry on the NHS, free (or very cheap) prescriptions, local services that have been cut to the bone, decent public transport - the list goes on and on, but every time we have been told that these things aren't available because the UK has no money.

Whether or not everyone would prioritise everything on my list of things that we could have spent taxpayers' money on instead of giving it to government cronies, I doubt that many could reasonably argue that at least some of them have a far better case for being a better use of funds.

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 17-Nov-20 18:24:53

I think Doodlebug that is the travesty. Millions,if not billions have been wasted when a fraction of that amount could have made so many lives so much better.

Hetty58 Tue 17-Nov-20 18:50:25

Dinahmo, I assume that everyone knows, by now, that austerity was for political reasons and never actually necessary.

At least this awful pandemic has laid bare the government's aims and priorities. There's not been time for the usual whitewashing.

Doodledog Tue 17-Nov-20 20:50:15

I'm not convinced that the penny has dropped, though. I've seen and heard a lot of comments about how 'we' will have to pay back all of this money, as though it has been borrowed from some sort of benefactor; when in fact it was 'ours' in the first place.

Unless this is properly exposed for the travesty it is, there will be a double whammy when it is used as a 'reason' for more austerity and public sector cuts.

petra Tue 17-Nov-20 21:06:36

I knew a lot about it as one of my daughters works for Deloitte. Even so, it was shocking to watch.

Katek Tue 17-Nov-20 22:29:21

The 17th century loan given to the government by merchants to form Bank of England has ever been paid back. Just
saying .......