Gransnet forums

News & politics

The reason people tolerate governments who lie

(71 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 17-Nov-20 20:59:18

I watched an interesting interview this evening on Amanpour CNN. The interview was with a psychologist sociologist (I think was his title).

He was asked how people appear to believe the most outrageous lies told to them by politicians.

His explanation is that when you say to the apparent believers that their politician or policy of choice is a lie, they don’t hear that it is a lie, but that the politician is going to deliver what they want. So, yes, they know the politician is lying constantly, but they are willing to overlook it to get to their goal.

It is a phenomena that is new and is changing the face of democracy.

The traditional values of trust and honesty are being entirely undermined .

We are, he argues at a crossroads and it can go either way, where we continue down the road of accepting lies providing the politician delivers what we want, or we pull back and re-establish the values of trust and honestly.

That explains so much

MaizieD Wed 18-Nov-20 12:45:26

' how do we establish that my statement isn't true?'

Alegrias2 Wed 18-Nov-20 13:42:27

Intriguing article, thanks for posting the link WWM2. What I took from it is that if people don't trust the system, then even if they know the politician is lying, they just don't care. Scariest line was No amount of factchecking will reduce the appeal of Trump, Johnson, Duterte, Bolsonaro or any other populist demagogue around the world.

I'm thinking of moving back to Australia....

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Nov-20 14:02:55

Populism seems to be the issue - it’s starts on the false premise of identifying the “other” quite falsely, and has grown from there.

MaizieD Wed 18-Nov-20 15:32:47

I'm thinking of moving back to Australia....

Aaaah, Australia. If we're thinking about the purveying of lies, this appeared in my twitter time line this morning.

Power to his elbow, I say!
(Though Murdoch is one of theirs grin )

twitter.com/MrKRudd/status/1328971205823500289

FarNorth Wed 18-Nov-20 15:42:16

I read recently that, in order to persuade someone they are wrong, you should start by telling them they are right.
As in, agreeing with them that xyz is desirable or that they have made a good point and proceeding from there.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Nov-20 15:47:21

FarNorth

I read recently that, in order to persuade someone they are wrong, you should start by telling them they are right.
As in, agreeing with them that xyz is desirable or that they have made a good point and proceeding from there.

I think there is something in that.

M0nica Wed 18-Nov-20 18:19:39

Where you can prove a fact. Maizie that there is a picture of you driving through a red light then i willaccept you drove through the red light.

But I am very uncomfortable with the idea that the majority of the electorate are gullible fools who implicitly believe everything the media of the political party I disagree with says and that my party does not do that and only lost because the electorate are gullibl fools etc.

Others will say, your party lost because its policies were unbelievable and your leader unimpressive. I would say that both parties are lying toads.

The elctorate are not fools, they are well aware that both sides are telling outrageous lies and that they have to weigh up what both sides are saying and then calculate which, allowing for them both being lying toads, is most likely to be the most competent in running the country and benfitting them. It is a guessing game.

varian Wed 18-Nov-20 18:27:47

Oh dear Monica not that long ago I would have agreed with you but now, how do we know for sure that the picture of you driving through a red light was not faked?

I remember seeing the first Jurassic Park film in 1993 and, at the end, realising that the special effects were so good that I had been able to suspend disbelief.

That was quite a long time ago and since then the tools of those who conspire to promote fiction as fact have become so much more powerful and sophisticated.

Hence Putin and allies were able to ensure that enough Americans voted for Trump and enough UK citizens voted for brexit in 2016.

2016 was a great year for Putin, for deception and for populism and a terrible turning point for democracy worldwide.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Nov-20 19:29:49

M0nica

Where you can prove a fact. Maizie that there is a picture of you driving through a red light then i willaccept you drove through the red light.

But I am very uncomfortable with the idea that the majority of the electorate are gullible fools who implicitly believe everything the media of the political party I disagree with says and that my party does not do that and only lost because the electorate are gullibl fools etc.

Others will say, your party lost because its policies were unbelievable and your leader unimpressive. I would say that both parties are lying toads.

The elctorate are not fools, they are well aware that both sides are telling outrageous lies and that they have to weigh up what both sides are saying and then calculate which, allowing for them both being lying toads, is most likely to be the most competent in running the country and benfitting them. It is a guessing game.

You are reading into the OP and article something that isn’t there. You are somehow conducting your own argument??

No one is saying that the voter is gullible or foolish.

Quite the reverse. What is being said that the voter is well aware of the lies being told but is prepared to overlook the lies in order to obtain their goal.

Alegrias2 Wed 18-Nov-20 20:56:36

It seems to me that M0nica's final paragraph proves the point of the article. If the electorate think that everybody is lying, they accept that and just go for the option they think will suit them best. The one thing I would like to point out though is that most political systems have more than two "sides".

But I'm not arguing with you M0nica, please don't think that.

If there was a party/politician that people considered to be honest and trustworthy, would they then get the support of many voters?

MaizieD Wed 18-Nov-20 21:15:19

But, MOnica, I'm saying that the light at the bottom of the traffic lights is green. Why isn't that true?

You asked 'what is truth'? Which seemed like a very philosophical question and one that was difficult to answer.
But now you seem to be saying that there are 'facts' which equate to 'truth'. So where is the difficulty?

MayBee70 Wed 18-Nov-20 21:23:42

biba70

Kandinsky

If this is about Brexit then I think most of what the ‘vote remain’ team said was lies ( & I genuinely do )

Remainers believe anything the guardian or C4 news feeds them ( or whatever pro remain media they follow )
They believe it because they want to believe it. Just like millions of people believe in what Nigel Farage says. Or the daily mail etc.

Thank you Kandinsky for this valuable contribution, which totally proves the point of the OP.

I still want to know what lies the vote remain side told because, apart from the emergency budget (which wouldn’t have been a big deal anyway) I can’t think of anything....

NannyC2 Thu 19-Nov-20 16:32:52

Yes, there is a threat to democracy and we are losing it fast! Sooner the more people stand up to speak the better!

biba70 Thu 19-Nov-20 17:24:42

no, no need- just wait, and trust, and see ...

doh sad

M0nica Thu 19-Nov-20 20:54:15

Alegrias Feel free to argue with me, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Any discussion is the better for having people who profoundly disagree, providing they do it with out getting insulting or personal.

rosecarmel Fri 20-Nov-20 00:59:38

Presidents make promises they usually never fulfill by the time their term in office is over- When questioned why they didn't do what they said they would they rattle off a list of lies excuses-

They promise, we clap, they win then act like they pulled off a hat trick- It's all a charade-

In the meantime .. thousands are dying, hospitals are reaching capacity, nurses and doctors are suffering from exhaustion, jobless rates are on the rise, food lines are getting longer and .. Congress has taken a recess for Thanksgiving ..

And that's the truth ..

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Nov-20 07:01:54

If all politicians knowingly lie, and the voter knows that they are lying, what on earth is the point?

That has nothing to do with democracy and we will need a new description of governing by lies - and it surely isn’t what I signed up for.

Alexa Fri 20-Nov-20 08:42:41

The way to find out out if an information medium such as the Mail, or the Guardian, is telling the truth is to ask who makes money or political power from selling the information. If the owner of the newspaper makes money from telling a section of the public what they want to hear then that newspaper can't be trusted.

Similarly for electronic media, and personal celebrities who influence opinions.

M0nica Fri 20-Nov-20 09:42:22

No politician has ever told the whole truth, ever in the whole annals of history. They tell you what they honestly believe to be the truth from their perspective, or lie in their teeth because it serves them best.

But then that is what most people do, however much we deceive ourselves that we don't. All of us have been embarrassed by the kind of person who blurts everything out without thinking. Hence all those amusing stories of children just saying things that we would prefer unsaid.

Why expect our politicians to be better than we are?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Nov-20 10:27:10

monica because they are governing the country. I do expect a different standard.

As a civil servant that had legal access to company accounts, company buildings and infrastructure, company philosophy and planning etc, computer software, and knowledge as to how the company was run, I acted at a standard and still do that ensures that the company could have complete confidence in my integrity and confidentiality.

The standard kept to was not the same as I use in every day life. Of course it wasn’t.

But I expect that sort of integrity and confidence from any politician who is my representative and sits in the Commons legislating law and acting on my behalf.

I will not tolerate knowingly lying.

rosecarmel Fri 20-Nov-20 10:40:29

You both not the nail on the head regarding expectation- Expecting they will lie, like everyone else, and expecting them not to-

My husband, God rest, compartmentalized integrity and lies- Ok in personal life but not on the job- I can only imagine the level of mental stamina it took to believe that to be true-

rosecarmel Fri 20-Nov-20 10:41:27

*not = hit ?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Nov-20 10:56:43

rose you are up early???

rosecarmel Fri 20-Nov-20 11:16:49

Good morning ?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Nov-20 12:31:11

I’ve just had lunch?