Gransnet forums

News & politics

I bloody love Eddie Mair on LBC

(64 Posts)
suziewoozie Wed 25-Nov-20 17:37:23

The Government refused to offer a member to be interviewed on his programme - prime time national radio. They offered a back bench MP who Eddie Mair refused saying that they might as well have offered Engelbert Humpeldink and he then proceeded to play ‘Please Release Me’. It really cheered me up ?

FannyCornforth Thu 26-Nov-20 10:58:43

Oh yes - I get it - Fanny Cornforth / Annie from Carnforth.
Well spotted, and how odd.
It must have been subconscious.

FannyCornforth Thu 26-Nov-20 11:02:23

Annie is far, far more political and better informed than I am.
Probably far more intelligent too.
I'm just opinionated! smile

Parsley3 Thu 26-Nov-20 11:04:16

I have been a fan of Eddie Mair since his Radio Scotland days. His interview with Mayor Boris is a gem and thank you for sharing it.
LBC presenters are a mixed bunch. Some ask for callers but don’t let them talk by constantly interrupting. My favourites are SF and EM and welcome contributions from Theo the Political correspondent.

FannyCornforth Thu 26-Nov-20 11:12:17

Maajid Nawaz is such an interesting person and always does his homework / research, but he's awful for arguing and shouting over callers.
Someone needs to have a word.
Yes, Theo is great. You can tell that JOB is a bit jealous of him!

suziewoozie Thu 26-Nov-20 11:31:15

FannyCornforth

Maajid Nawaz is such an interesting person and always does his homework / research, but he's awful for arguing and shouting over callers.
Someone needs to have a word.
Yes, Theo is great. You can tell that JOB is a bit jealous of him!

DH and me nearly kill each other in the rush to turn off the radio when MN comes on - his style is just awful .
Theo was very very ill wasn’t he with COVID and came back part time for ages. Parsley yes a real mixed bunch - some I never listen to ever after trying. And some really are very ill informed and allow callers to spout complete nonsense. But SF is great - I follow her on twitter as well ? And JOB

phoenix Thu 26-Nov-20 11:56:34

I was interviewed by Eddie Mair when he was still with Radio 4, really nice chap.

Parsley3 Thu 26-Nov-20 15:29:06

Ah yes, Maajid. He badgers callers to answer his specific questions then doesn’t let them speak when they try to. I want to tell him to calm down. He has had an interesting life but hasn’t managed to climb down from his soap box and listen to other points of view. LBC was my go to station for Brexit news but not so much now as COVID conversations are mostly about restrictions in England and don’t apply to me here.

biba70 Thu 26-Nov-20 23:31:14

you mean he doesn't let them speak when they waffle on at a tangent to avoid answering the specific question! Good on him. All interviewers should do that - answer or mike out. Same for the Speaker.

welbeck Fri 27-Nov-20 00:37:01

no, i disagree re MN. he often jumps in before the person has had a chance to make a point. he sounds like the sort of person who would start a fight in a paper bag. he sounds arrogant at times. even if someone merely suggests they don't fully agree with him, but are trying to explain where they do, he jumps on them, seemingly outraged that they should dare even suggest they do not fully agree with him.
and he parades his superior debating skills, hectoring and badgering, using technical terms, while asking ordinary people to contribute, which i think is bad form.

FannyCornforth Fri 27-Nov-20 04:54:12

biba70

you mean he doesn't let them speak when they waffle on at a tangent to avoid answering the specific question! Good on him. All interviewers should do that - answer or mike out. Same for the Speaker.

Biba have you heard Maajid Nawaz on LBC? He goes a bit further than not 'letting people waffle on'!

BlueBelle Fri 27-Nov-20 07:29:06

Oh I know I m totally stupid but can’t people use names I really struggle to work out the initials of people We re not all as intelligent as you I swear I have initial dyslexia

Maajid is such an intelligent man but I must know his life story ten times over it’s a shame he gets so carried away telling it over and over as a lot of his arguments are good

My absolute dislike is Steve Allen he is the most vitriolic passive agressive I ve ever heard he says such nasty things in the name of being funny and constantly polishes his halo

I can’t dislike Nick Abbot he’s one of the few people who make me chuckle these days
Sheila is very balanced in her answers and James o Brian is a firm favourite with me love his arguments he often says things I wish I had

FindingNemo15 Fri 27-Nov-20 07:53:39

Another LBC fan here. Cannot stand Maajid Nawaz and think he is arrogant and rude. Like Nick Abbot and all his funny sounds, especially the cow! Sorry BlueBelle, but I love Steve Allen, we obviously have opposite taste.

Does anyone remember Mike Dickin on Talk Radio?

Riverwalk Fri 27-Nov-20 08:48:26

I've tried my best to listen to LBC but just can't bear phone-ins and all the adverts.

During the night I occasionally listen to its sister station, LBC News, which I think is London only.

FannyCornforth Fri 27-Nov-20 09:03:02

Steve Allen is as thick as mince.
I used to genuinely enjoy his show - back in the day when he had his mates on with him.
Then I enjoyed him in a love/hate guilty pleasure way.
Now I can't stand the sound of his voice. He can't string a sentence together and is ignorant about the most basic things.

Riverwalk you can get LBC news on DAB across the UK.

Yes Nemo I remember Mike 'my health is not in question' Dicken.
He died in a car accident driving home to Cornwall.
I used to love Anna Raeburn on Talk.
And Tommy Boyd.
That was during the original incarnation of Talk.

Lucca Fri 27-Nov-20 09:12:56

Based on this thread I ve put LbC on. Just heard an idiot being interviewed on the street saying he was going ahead with elderly relative hugging aaa he doesn’t trust the information coming from the government......
I am no fan of this government but the medical information has to be trusted.

Lucca Fri 27-Nov-20 09:16:16

No I don’t think I can listen to any more. A woman of 70 saying she’s planning two bubbles and doesn’t care because she’s pretty sure she hasn’t got COVID.

BlueBelle Fri 27-Nov-20 09:34:09

findingneno the reason I don’t like Steve Allen is he is constantly passing so much false information which is so dangerous and has people hanging on to his every word and passing it on like Chinese whispers
He is so nasty and vitriolic against so many people that he brings out the worst in me as I see no reason for his passive/ aggressive nastiness He derides people who are fat, have mental health problems, don’t fit the norm but he always pretends it is ‘just a joke’ ‘don’t be such a snowflake’
He has the most awful things to say about anyone he decides to dislike and I don’t know if you’ve noticed they are primarily women The only man I can think of him deriding is Peter Andre..... he puts himself on a pedestal with all his good deeds and generosity (buying his staff tit bits)
I m sure he thinks he’s funny and I m sure his many fans think he’s funny but if the only way you can get laughs is to put others down I m afraid that doesn’t count as humour in my world

Riverwalk Fri 27-Nov-20 09:36:08

Lucca try LBC News - it's a bit better!

Fanny I know you can get it on DAB but all the traffic news, weather etc is all about London - or does that change for different regions?

suziewoozie Fri 27-Nov-20 10:07:47

BlueBelle. you are a 200% right about Steve A - he is truly horrible
Lucca I should have said never listen between 7-10 am unless you are a rabid right winger . However, , Nick Ferrari (who hosts this slot M-F) has No 10 on speed dial and can get any cabinet minister he wants on. This makes him powerful in both setting and responding to the Governments agenda - like the DM

Alegrias2 Fri 27-Nov-20 10:37:02

I've just switched on LBC for the first time. If I get annoyed and start throwing things, I shall hold you all responsible. grin

Alegrias2 Fri 27-Nov-20 10:40:07

James O'Brien is having a go at the Daily Mail right now so its looking OK so far.

suziewoozie Fri 27-Nov-20 10:45:36

Alegrias2

James O'Brien is having a go at the Daily Mail right now so its looking OK so far.

You must listen to Sheila from 1pm. She is ex-BBC and a properly trained old school journalist. The best briefed, least ego centric of all the presenters and a wonderful interviewer. She gets great interviewees on. For months she has kept the issue of the scandal of care home visits alive and has done heartbreaking phone calls with relatives. A little while ago, one was so heartbreaking, even SF as a consummate professional had to have a break and she apologised for breaking down. Bless her

FannyCornforth Fri 27-Nov-20 11:03:48

I'm not a rabid right winger and I enjoy listening to Ferrari!
I enjoy listening to different opinions.
Not everyone wants an echo chamber.
He's a talented journo, same as Shelagh.

FannyCornforth Fri 27-Nov-20 11:14:38

Alegrias2

I've been listening to JOB for 15 years.

He slags off the DM very single day.
He mentions his age every single day.
He mentions his public school and the monks every single day.
He slags off 'Farridge' every single day.
He mentions Kidderminster every single day.
He says 'doff cap, tug forelock, vote Rees-Mogg' every single day

I still love him.grin

suziewoozie Fri 27-Nov-20 11:59:40

FannyCornforth

Alegrias2

I've been listening to JOB for 15 years.

He slags off the DM very single day.
He mentions his age every single day.
He mentions his public school and the monks every single day.
He slags off 'Farridge' every single day.
He mentions Kidderminster every single day.
He says 'doff cap, tug forelock, vote Rees-Mogg' every single day

I still love him.grin

Yes I play JOB bingo regularly !