Gransnet forums

News & politics

How confident are you in a good deal for the UK?

(875 Posts)
Trisha57 Fri 04-Dec-20 22:48:56

Just that really. Watching the News tonight and it seems there are conflicting views, as always.

David0205 Thu 24-Dec-20 07:10:04

“ It makes a big difference to the Spanish who work in Gibraltar and Gilbraltarians with homes in Spain. In time, it could lead to greater integration between Gibraltar and Spain and then, who knows ...”

As you say who knows.

Currently Gibraltar is a Tax Haven with different customs rules so just like Jersey immigration rules apply and you have to show identity documents. How that would make it more likely to become part of Spain is pretty hard to understand.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Dec-20 21:35:07

Some details are beginning to leak out. To be confirmed of course.

But if true there are going to be some unhappy industries.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Dec-20 21:09:30

growstuff

Whitewavemark2

Lufthansa flies 80 tonnes of fresh food to UK amid shortage fears
German carrier delivers fruit and vegetables as border issues persist despite end of French blockade.

It's just to say "thank you" for the Berlin Airlift.

Blimey! That is impressive.

growstuff Wed 23-Dec-20 21:03:05

David0205

growstuff

Meanwhile ...

It looks highly likely that Gibraltar will join the Schengen area, which means that UK nationals will need to show passports at the border, but EU citizens won't. Hmm ...

www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/gibraltar-to-join-schengen-meaning-border-checks-for-brits-but-not-spain/22/12/

In practice it’s not going to make any difference is it, because we have to show a passport to enter and leave the UK now. Other countries have IDs we don’t, we have to use passports.

It makes a big difference to the Spanish who work in Gibraltar and Gilbraltarians with homes in Spain. In time, it could lead to greater integration between Gibraltar and Spain and then, who knows ...

growstuff Wed 23-Dec-20 20:58:19

Whitewavemark2

German carrier delivers fruit and vegetables as border issues persist despite end of French blockade.

It's just to say "thank you" for the Berlin Airlift.

David0205 Wed 23-Dec-20 20:52:30

Whitewavemark2

What about the ERG? HMG appear to have conceded quite a lot.

It is still pretty hard but apparently more or less where the EU started

I guess it depends if the Tories have a free vote, there are probably enough sane Tory MPs, to outvote the ERG - maybe.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Dec-20 19:44:45

What about the ERG? HMG appear to have conceded quite a lot.

It is still pretty hard but apparently more or less where the EU started

David0205 Wed 23-Dec-20 19:42:09

There are certainly going to be shortages of some out of season products, some of those could be airfreighted - at a price.

It looks like the current Brexit deal is going to be put directly to the member states, rather than the European Parliament, wether that will mean an acceptance we will see

GrannyGravy13 Wed 23-Dec-20 18:18:41

Good logistical planning, ports blocked obvious answer cargo planes.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Dec-20 18:14:55

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Dec-20 18:09:59

No 10 source

A Deal is Done.

Nezumi65 Wed 23-Dec-20 07:24:39

Try taking your dog to Northern Ireland now though. Then you’ll see a difference.

Or try ordering something from GB if in Northern Ireland - will also see a difference in cost.

David0205 Wed 23-Dec-20 06:44:14

growstuff

Meanwhile ...

It looks highly likely that Gibraltar will join the Schengen area, which means that UK nationals will need to show passports at the border, but EU citizens won't. Hmm ...

www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/gibraltar-to-join-schengen-meaning-border-checks-for-brits-but-not-spain/22/12/

In practice it’s not going to make any difference is it, because we have to show a passport to enter and leave the UK now. Other countries have IDs we don’t, we have to use passports.

growstuff Wed 23-Dec-20 02:05:31

Meanwhile ...

varian Tue 22-Dec-20 21:07:47

The vultures of disaster capitalism are the only people who could ever benefit from brexit, not the 25% or less of the current UK population who were persuaded to vote leave in 2016, let alone the majority of the UK population.

David0205 Tue 22-Dec-20 20:27:33

It seems that the 35% offered had strings in the small print so it does not look enough, that’s why there were silly grins at the press conference. It’s all about manipulating the exchange rates for the speculators.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Dec-20 20:04:57

I read the same. Something like 5 mega wealthy Tory supporters and donators who have never set foot in a boat.

paddyanne Tue 22-Dec-20 20:00:07

I read today that MOST of the fishing in England and Wales is owned by billionaire friends of Bojo...that would make sense! On the othere hand only 23% of Scottish fishing was sold to big business or overseas buyers .Its not about sovereignty ,its about those mates whose money WM is protecting by Brexit

biba70 Tue 22-Dec-20 18:11:14

Above 'how to copy' not how to cope.

It made me laugh. Two 'old' ladies chatting over the hedge by front door. And one says 'just as well we are not having a family Christmas, we might kill each other' and the others says 'Covid' -to which other one replies 'no, B****t'.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Dec-20 12:28:52

He lies constantly

Daddima Tue 22-Dec-20 12:11:30

Sorry, I meant to add, check the link to where Boris makes the promise.

Daddima Tue 22-Dec-20 12:10:29

I apologise for not having read the whole thread, but what happened to the deal WE ALREADY HAD last year, which was allowing us to leave the EU on January 31st in a position of ‘ equilibrium and grace’?

twitter.com/marinanigrelli/status/1340600484017651712?s=21

biba70 Tue 22-Dec-20 12:01:58

Urmstongran

Hehe!

I am glad you like Matt. Now I don't know how to cope, but did you see the one with 2 old ladies chatting over the fence about not having a family Christmas the other day?

Spot on, as said before.

David0205 Tue 22-Dec-20 11:11:48

Retiredwell

I do not feel that Europe handing back 35% of its current quota over five years would get past the Tory party in the House of Commons. If Boris puts that forward it will be the end of him as Prime Minister.

Don’t forget we share fishing waters with other countries, Norway, Faroes and Iceland, in any case the fish are only worth whatever the market price is so no great addition the UK balance of payments.
The really important part is being able to control the conservation of fisheries and the marine environment.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Dec-20 10:12:10

Retiredwell

I appreciate your point Whitewavemark2, but I feel that fishing has become the "sacrosanct" point for the Brexiteers.

It is for them the very symbol of "Britain Taking Back control". Nothing short of absolute sovereignty over British fishing water will satisfy them.

I think you are right unfortunately.