Gransnet forums

News & politics

What is it with Labour city mayors?

(95 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 05-Dec-20 10:09:23

Joe Anderson, Mayor of Liverpool (Old Swan area) for the last 10 years was arrested yesterday for alleged criminal activity.

Our very own ‘chancer’ Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester overplayed his hand against the Goverment recently and came off badly. He’s so unpopular round here.

And Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London, who is only hanging on by his fingernails owing to the delayed election process there is an out of touch lefty who espouses any ‘good cause’ whilst admitting he is ‘not providing proper leadership’.

They are all pretty useless.
Irrelevant too I’d say.

MawBe Sun 06-Dec-20 14:13:07

Callistemon

^Urmstongran My daughter has been in Greater Manchester throughout all the lockdowns. You haven't. Your "news" and views are second hand.^

So are yours growstuff
As are those of any of us who do not live in Greater Manchester, whether elsewhere in the UK, Europe or the wider world.

???

I will tiptoe away as I am not entitled to comment.

Own goal, methinks! ⚽️ ???

Callistemon Sun 06-Dec-20 13:48:16

Urmstongran My daughter has been in Greater Manchester throughout all the lockdowns. You haven't. Your "news" and views are second hand.

So are yours growstuff
As are those of any of us who do not live in Greater Manchester, whether elsewhere in the UK, Europe or the wider world.

???

I will tiptoe away as I am not entitled to comment.

Callistemon Sun 06-Dec-20 13:40:05

There's a lot of irony on this thread isn't there! wink

There most certainly is grin

Chewbacca Sun 06-Dec-20 11:18:36

biba70

the irony of this thread is beyond belief. I remember a colleague of my husband telling my vegetarian daughter 'ah but have you heard to carrots screaming when you pull them out of the ground' !

There's a lot of irony on this thread isn't there! wink
Not sure what carrots have to do with it though?

biba70 Sun 06-Dec-20 10:40:51

the irony of this thread is beyond belief. I remember a colleague of my husband telling my vegetarian daughter 'ah but have you heard to carrots screaming when you pull them out of the ground' !

GrannyGravy13 Sun 06-Dec-20 09:13:14

Definitely Peter Soulsby

Gingster Sun 06-Dec-20 08:28:15

Oh dear! So childish!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 06-Dec-20 08:18:05

kittylester

Urmstongran

Didn’t know about Peter Salisbury dragonfly and kitty. Sounds like another Labour Mayor who’s ineffectual - for reasons known to his constituents...

We all got it wrong, its Peter Soulsby!

He went to stay with his girlfriend during the first lockdown - because she was poorly!

And, his family seem to get lots of the best contracts for supplying services.

Are you sure you aren’t talking about a or minister?

kittylester Sun 06-Dec-20 07:42:59

Urmstongran

Didn’t know about Peter Salisbury dragonfly and kitty. Sounds like another Labour Mayor who’s ineffectual - for reasons known to his constituents...

We all got it wrong, its Peter Soulsby!

He went to stay with his girlfriend during the first lockdown - because she was poorly!

And, his family seem to get lots of the best contracts for supplying services.

Callistemon Sat 05-Dec-20 23:14:44

All being well

Fennel Sat 05-Dec-20 22:29:39

grin thanks Callistemon - I hope so!

Callistemon Sat 05-Dec-20 22:22:14

We do seem to be in the majority here, not sure why.
Yes, strange isn't it, Fennel, as Tories won the last four elections.

You may be able to count on me ? next time. wink

Fennel Sat 05-Dec-20 22:17:45

Urmston I was wondering when you were going to come back against us Lefties. Good try.
We do seem to be in the majority here, not sure why.

Urmstongran Sat 05-Dec-20 21:41:15

That made me laugh Callistemon!
?

Chewbacca Sat 05-Dec-20 21:15:03

? Callistemon

Callistemon Sat 05-Dec-20 21:11:58

Chewbacca

^Should we only comment on what affects us directly?^

I think that depends on which side of centre you lean to Callistemon wink

I'm in the middle, a fence-sitter.

A floating voter.
I have The Power.

Urmstongran Sat 05-Dec-20 20:48:05

Typo.
Salsbury - sorry.

Urmstongran Sat 05-Dec-20 20:47:18

vegansrock Sat 05-Dec-20 20:39:47

This whole government are up to their neck in sleazy backhanders to their supporters but that doesn’t count as they are Tories. Johnson was a dreadful mayor of London, let’s use him as an example of useless mayors.

Chewbacca Sat 05-Dec-20 20:39:05

Should we only comment on what affects us directly?

I think that depends on which side of centre you lean to Callistemon wink

kittylester Sat 05-Dec-20 20:36:37

dragonfly46

You forgot to mention Peter Salsbury Urmston. I am convinced he is part of the reason why Leicester has been in lockdown since the beginning. He just refused to cooperate with the government and made himself extremely unpopular. He seems to have reigned it in a little recently and hence we hopefully are in a better position.

I am with you about Andy Burnham - I think his ambition to become PM is overtaking everything else.

Beat me to it dragonfly!

He should have shut down the sweat shops but that might have made him unpopular.

Callistemon Sat 05-Dec-20 20:09:09

Chewbacca

^I actually find it "rude" that somebody who has been out of the country since the beginning of^ lockdown has the nerve to comment on Andy Burnham.

Really? How odd! There are some posters on GN who post frequently about all aspects of British politics but don't live in the UK at all but their opinions and comments are welcomed. Why is Urmstongran any different?

Ergo none of us should comment on American politics unless we live there.

growstuff I haven't noticed any restraint on the part of Gransnetters to comment on Trump.
Or, in fact, Sadiq Khan. Or Boris Johnson during his time as Mayor of London.

Should we only comment on what affects us directly?

Gwyneth Sat 05-Dec-20 20:00:00

Well said Petra although I’m coming in a bit late to the discussion!

Ilovecheese Sat 05-Dec-20 18:38:33

Yes, sorry I forgot that Tohy Lloyd was Labour.

Urmstongran Sat 05-Dec-20 18:34:24

What a low turnout prestbury.
Seems most of his supporters are on here!
?