Gransnet forums

News & politics

The phrase *Essex Girls*

(98 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Sat 05-Dec-20 12:03:47

The phrase Essex Girls is to be removed from the dictionary, about time!!

cornergran Tue 08-Dec-20 15:34:06

Grew up in Essex, still think of it as ‘home’. Moving away when I was 21 I was amazed to encounter the not really funny comments usually made by older men in the workplace. My well practised number one filthy look followed by a non-white stiletto accidentally finding a foot seemed to put a stop to it. Returning to work in my 30’s I can’t recall any comments at all. I do recall some interesting chats with male and female colleagues about regional accents, traditions and ways of life. The only person who persisted was one of Mr C’s long time friends who would occasionally try to copy my my accent, just ignored him. There are negative stereotypes about most areas I think, Essex girls aren’t alone.

BigBertha1 Tue 08-Dec-20 15:34:21

I'm an Essex girl too.

Ellianne Tue 08-Dec-20 15:55:07

Oh yes? I can't think of any "top" independent schools in Essex.

I should have expected that derisory type of comment from you growstuff. Not everything is measured by academic achievement you know, so "top" has several meanings. Maybe you've never heard of Bancrofts, Chigwell, Brentwood. Check out their entrants to "top" unis, though as I say, that isn't the be all and end all in life.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 08-Dec-20 16:12:48

Felsted School was in the top 5% for A level results 2019.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 08-Dec-20 16:16:44

Southend-on-Sea has four grammar schools, several schools in Essex have grammar streams which require an entry test.

Essex is far more than Essex Girls nudge nudge wink wink jokes, the dismantling of this cliche is extremely overdue.

MaizieD Tue 08-Dec-20 17:27:08

Essex has four grammar schools.

Only four, growstuff? I'm very surprised. There are two in my 'birth town' alone. The one I went to is now an Academy, does that mean it's no longer classed as a Grammar school? Otherwise, I can't believe that there are only two more scattered over the county.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 08-Dec-20 17:30:49

MaizieD

^Essex has four grammar schools.^

Only four, growstuff? I'm very surprised. There are two in my 'birth town' alone. The one I went to is now an Academy, does that mean it's no longer classed as a Grammar school? Otherwise, I can't believe that there are only two more scattered over the county.

It has eight MaizieD including the four in Southend-on-Sea which is now classed as a unitary authority.

Pittcity Tue 08-Dec-20 17:31:14

A large part of what was Essex is now classed as Greater London "MaizieD"
I went to an Essex Grammar that is now in a London Borough.

growstuff Tue 08-Dec-20 17:36:54

MaizieD

Yes, there are two in Colchester and two in Chelmsford. As I wrote before, Southend still has grammar schools, but Southend is administratively no longer part of Essex.

growstuff Tue 08-Dec-20 17:38:43

The Southend grammar schools don't have the same high intake as the four Essex grammar schools and don't have particularly good results.

Ellianne Tue 08-Dec-20 17:39:34

There's one at the bottom of our road on the Central Line, in Essex, but in a London Borough.

Ellianne Tue 08-Dec-20 17:40:18

To Pittcity was yours girls?

growstuff Tue 08-Dec-20 17:40:44

It's irrelevant anyway. The Essex grammar schools take about 1% of the children living in the county. What is important is the standard of education in the other schools.

growstuff Tue 08-Dec-20 17:42:57

MaizieD

Sorry you don't believe it, but it's true. I worked in Essex secondary schools from 1982 and there were only ever four proper grammar schools in the county.

Grandma70s Tue 08-Dec-20 17:43:21

I did research at Beeleigh Abbey near Maldon, a long time ago. I walked there from Maldon every morning, accompanied by the song of skylarks. It was absolutely beautiful, and gave me a lasting love of the east of England.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 08-Dec-20 17:52:09

I have met a few of the cast from townie and they are nothing like the characters they play, people that have a problem with Essex need to get a life

GrannyGravy13 Tue 08-Dec-20 18:01:52

growstuff the four grammar schools in Southend are proper grammar schools according to the Education Authorities.

TerriBull Tue 08-Dec-20 18:14:15

Be proud GNs from Essex, you gave England Queen Boudicca, she knew how to demonstrate quite forcibly, The Only Way Is Essex, particularly to those interlopers who decided to set up camp in Colchester!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 08-Dec-20 18:15:46

Terribull ?????

growstuff Tue 08-Dec-20 19:31:37

GrannyGravy13

growstuff the four grammar schools in Southend are proper grammar schools according to the Education Authorities.

Yes, they are, but they're not in the same league as the Colchester and Chelmsford grammar schools. They're also not in Essex.

They cause problems on the Southend/Essex border because Essex parents what their children to go to them, if they can't get into the Colchester or Chelmsford grammar schools. Therefore, schools on the Essex side of the border lose some of their brightest pupils. The other side of the coin is that Southend parents, whose children would otherwise go to secondary moderns, opt for their children to to go to Essex comprehensives.

We don't have that problem in the northwest of the county because our children aren't eligible by distance for the grammar schools, which is why the comprehensive schools here are genuinely inclusive and parents don't get so stressed about choosing schools.

growstuff Tue 08-Dec-20 19:34:12

TerriBull

Be proud GNs from Essex, you gave England Queen Boudicca, she knew how to demonstrate quite forcibly, The Only Way Is Essex, particularly to those interlopers who decided to set up camp in Colchester!

Both my children were born and bred in Essex. I don't think it's ever bothered them. It's only a certain sort of person who mocks where somebody was born - the same ones who make unfunny jokes about me nicking hubcaps because I was born on Merseyside.

petra Tue 08-Dec-20 19:57:23

Here's a photo of this Essex girl. Not a white stiletto in sight.
I'm the one giving directions.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 08-Dec-20 20:07:25

However you dress it up growstuff Southend-on-Sea is in Essex. It may be a unitary district but it is still in Essex.

You have admitted to not travelling south of the A12 which you might like to once Covid is sorted .

We have extremely good schools in this part of the County.

Callistemon Tue 08-Dec-20 20:18:48

petra I'm impressed ?

petra Tue 08-Dec-20 20:25:47

Callistamon
Here's that Thames Barge in full sale.https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=thames+barges+in+full+sail&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=5UDGg4uH9lZfEM