Gransnet forums

News & politics

The phrase *Essex Girls*

(98 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Sat 05-Dec-20 12:03:47

The phrase Essex Girls is to be removed from the dictionary, about time!!

growstuff Wed 09-Dec-20 14:08:42

GrannyGravy13

However you dress it up growstuff Southend-on-Sea is in Essex. It may be a unitary district but it is still in Essex.

You have admitted to not travelling south of the A12 which you might like to once Covid is sorted .

We have extremely good schools in this part of the County.

It's OK, thanks. I've had plenty of opportunities and it's not that I haven't been, but once or twice was enough. I worked in south Essex for two years and I really wouldn't go back. As I wrote, Essex is a big and diverse county.

Callistemon Wed 09-Dec-20 15:36:05

Oh I do hope so! I'll expect nothing less than Russell Crowe in fact, "father to a murdered son and all that" minus the Aussie accent of course but in full gladiatorial mode, as he was then buffed up, not as he is now shock

Not wishing to spoil this lovely thread grin but Russell Crowe is a New Zealander!

MaizieD Wed 09-Dec-20 15:45:40

Not wishing to spoil this lovely thread grin but Russell Crowe is a New Zealander!

Spoilsport wink

Someone's going to come along in a minute and tell me that it's not 'the stroud', but 'the strood' sad
But it is haunted...

Ellianne Wed 09-Dec-20 16:07:47

And wasn't there an Earl of Essex from .. wait for it .... Nottinghamshire or Herefordshire ..... who had a relationship with Queen Elizabeth 1?
They get around!

BigBertha1 Wed 09-Dec-20 16:11:15

Constable thought parts of Essex were beautiful and painted them often- check out Dedham beautiful part of North Essex- I was a District Nurse round there and Halstead another lovely Essex town.
I lived in North Essex for a very long time, went to a Grammar school there a did my nurse training in a very prestigious school of nursing. I have very fond memories of Essex about will admit that urbanisation and road building has somewhat taken the shine off it. PS Never had a fake tan, a pair of white shoes or spoke in an Estuary accent.

Pittcity Wed 09-Dec-20 16:18:25

I've lived in Colchester for many years, having moved from what is now Greater London via Brentwood. It has fabulous history including a Roman Circus as well as the Norman Castle.
I'd love to cross the Strood and have a seafood platter with you all on Mersea Island.

Pittcity Wed 09-Dec-20 16:19:32

If you are looking for picturesque in Essex, I recommend Finchingfield.

TerriBull Wed 09-Dec-20 16:24:13

Callistemon

^Oh I do hope so! I'll expect nothing less than Russell Crowe in fact, "father to a murdered son and all that" minus the Aussie accent of course but in full gladiatorial mode, as he was then buffed up, not as he is now^ shock

Oh I know Callistemon, but he's been in Neighbours so there you are, he's probably an honoury Aussie, it doesn't come much more Australian than Ramsey Street does it? grin I probably should say that I've got nothing against the Aussie accent, I love it in fact, it's just well........... not an accent one would expect from a Roman general.

Anyway, back to Essex,

MissAdventure Wed 09-Dec-20 16:25:13

I really enjoyed visiting a friend's mum in Barling.
It felt like The Darling Buds Of May.
smile

GrannyGravy13 Wed 09-Dec-20 16:31:01

Oh Pitticity I can remember being chased by the geese from the pond in Finchinfield many years ago, I was half dragging half carrying my younger sister, my mother and husband thought it hilarious. (Parents were looking after a pub in the village, cannot remember its name)

petra Wed 09-Dec-20 16:41:08

MaizieD
i spent a lot of time at Maldon in my early 20s
So did I. I had a boat on Wallasea Island. I have a very soft spot for Heybridge Basin.
Maybe our paths have crossed before ?

My dearest friends late husband was a shipwright on the Maldon barges. He was so parochial he wouldn't mix with people from the top of the town as he called it. But still one of the most respected Barge skippers in the area.

MaizieD Wed 09-Dec-20 16:41:18

I'd love to cross the Strood and have a seafood platter with you all on Mersea Island.

It's a date grin

Next summer when we've all been vaccinated..

MissAdventure Wed 09-Dec-20 16:43:15

We used to go to Maldon as a special day out.

petra Wed 09-Dec-20 16:44:36

MissAdventure
Barling is another little gem that nobody knows about.

MaizieD Wed 09-Dec-20 16:45:02

Maybe our paths have crossed before

Early 70s for me, petra. During a brief marriage.

MissAdventure Wed 09-Dec-20 16:48:16

I miss driving around all these hidden gems, but my girl was the driver, me the navigator (which is why we drove around the hidden gems - lost!)

GrannyGravy13 Wed 09-Dec-20 16:50:25

You and MissAdventure top down, wind in our hair, hopefully next summer ?

MissAdventure Wed 09-Dec-20 16:55:16

Better hurry up!
My hair is thinning; I'll be bald by then. grin
I'll wear a nice hat, though.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 09-Dec-20 16:56:59

??

LucyLocket55 Wed 09-Dec-20 16:57:21

Original Essex girl here. My mother’s family lived in the county for many generations around the village of Abridge.

So many very happy memories of being here, both brothers educated at Chigwell school.

Yes, it has all changed and become more ‘flash’ but so has many places. Driving over the bridge into Abridge has always felt like coming home even though the family no longer live there.

Franbern Thu 10-Dec-20 12:00:40

Think that the number of Grammar schools in an area is only reflective of the policial persuasions of the area Councils. Absolutely NOTHING to do with intelligence of the population. Metropolitan Essex ( overlapping into LB's of Waltham Forest and Redbridge) do have a number of minor public schools. This is mainly for parents who still believe that money can purchase a better education.

I speak from experience. My son attended one of these public schools (on full scholarship), my four daughters and youngest son all went through the normal state education system. As we were in a London Borough, comprehensive schools, no Grammars.!!!!!! All did well educationally and careerwise. No difference between them at all. All got the Uni courses of their choice and excellent degrees (and more) and professional qualifications.

I attended primary school in this County for two years and also Grammer School there.

Essex is a beautiful County. A drive (away from the main roads) through some of the gorgeous, and so well kept villages, is one of the most delightful and relaxing things that anyone can do.

Ellianne Sun 13-Dec-20 18:33:28

Countryfile tonight. 6.30pm