Gransnet forums

News & politics

Today's PMQs- Johnson deflecting questions as usual.

(62 Posts)
Dinahmo Wed 16-Dec-20 13:25:23

The PM as usual was ignoring the questions and coming up with totally different answers including the subject of Cummings payrise. He also informed the House that the 4 nations were unanimous and at the same the Welsh spokesman was announcing changes to the rules in Wales.

How much longer can we put up with this lying buffoon?

Spinnaker Wed 16-Dec-20 17:35:46

I've worked in politics for a long time and I can tell you, yes they all lie/bend the truth to suit. There's a saying round these parts that politicians couldn't lie straight in bed grin.
By the way, before I get corrected by the pedants I know it should be lay in bed, not lie wink

MaizieD Wed 16-Dec-20 17:50:06

No, I 'think' that 'lie' is correct.

You lay an egg or the table, but not usually yourself...

Lie means “to be in a horizontal or resting position on something (a bed or the ground) or to get into that position.” Lay means “to put something down.”

thewritelife.com/lay-vs-lie/

I don't mind politicians 'bending' the truth, you expect them to put the most advantageous spin on things; but outright lies are a different matter; they speak of contempt for the public and someone not to be trusted.

MaizieD Wed 16-Dec-20 17:54:34

P.S As a bit of an expert, Spinnaker, what do you think about the Wellingborough constituency tory party advice to candidates to be Trump like? Breathtaking honesty or a new direction?

(Genuine question, BTW)

Spinnaker Wed 16-Dec-20 18:26:28

Rest assured Maisie I'm no expert just been around a long time. Re the Wellingborough news - like most things in politics it depends who's reading it and how they apply their own thought process to it and depends on which side of the fence they sit. Personally, I like to make my own choice in how I think, rather then be "advised" - if you get my drift smile

MaizieD Wed 16-Dec-20 19:18:23

Nice politician's answer, Spinnaker grin

The question I asked was, were Wellingborough tories being honest in their advice by just articulating what has always happened but has been unspoken, , or is their advice the start of a new direction in campaign thinking?

Spinnaker Wed 16-Dec-20 19:55:50

They will think they are being honest Maizie but like I said up thread I know through experience (having worked with all parties) that they lie/bend the truth, so would I believe it - no. Whether I'm right though who's to say and there will be plenty who do believe it. As for a new direction in campaign thinking then all the parties are quick to jump on any bandwagon they think will get them the votes - not always the right one though.

MaizieD Wed 16-Dec-20 21:16:18

But Trumpism? shock shock shock

???

lemongrove Wed 16-Dec-20 21:51:21

25Avalon

Loved his answer about his present for Nicola Sturgeon.

What was it Avalon ? ?

25Avalon Wed 16-Dec-20 22:13:08

Lemongrove he said “One thing of particular interest to the people of Scotland is that they will become the proud possessors of hundreds of thousands of tonnes of fish, shellfish, crustaceans. I don’t know if Nicola is a keen fish eater but she will have more than she could possibly consume herself for a very very long time to come. So how about that?!”

lemongrove Wed 16-Dec-20 22:17:23

?

paddyanne Wed 16-Dec-20 23:12:12

He's so pleased with himself for destroying the Scottish economy ....asshole.He may have done himself more damage than he'll do to us. I am so surprised you all find it funny.....not.You're on the same route and he doesn't give a flying fig .
makes my blood boil that this clown has any power over us ...hopefully not for long

lemongrove Wed 16-Dec-20 23:17:53

Hopefully the Scottish fishing industry will be more pleased than you are Paddy.

MayBee70 Wed 16-Dec-20 23:42:38

DH read that the Scottish fishermen had the sense not to sell their fishing quotas to other countries. If that’s the case, good for them.

Hetty58 Thu 17-Dec-20 00:08:13

Dinahmo, I just can't watch any more. I feel so horrified and deeply ashamed (as the world watches too) of being British right now. I used to think it was hilariously funny, yet now my sense of humour seems to be in hiding!

vegansrock Thu 17-Dec-20 06:18:21

Why did Cummings get a £40,000 pay rise and us he still being paid?

Nezumi65 Thu 17-Dec-20 07:08:25

MayBee70

DH read that the Scottish fishermen had the sense not to sell their fishing quotas to other countries. If that’s the case, good for them.

Yep - helpful article summarising it all from the BBC here www.bbc.co.uk/news/52420116

rosecarmel Thu 17-Dec-20 07:38:23

They all lie- And when they evade and deflect? They are intentionally hiding the truth- Either way it's shady behaviour, like an enticing sales pitch- An attempt to convince people to buy something that's not as described-

Iam64 Thu 17-Dec-20 07:54:58

I don't believe we should accept "they all lie". I can accept politicians don't always give a full and honest answer to a question, that they may deflect or say they don't have enough information to answer but will find out. When did it become a universal truth to dismiss lying politicians by simply responding 'well, they all lie'.
As for PMQ's, Johnson has always been a well rehearsed one trick pony. It was entertaining on HIGNFY but much less so when he's supposed to be leading the country through a pandemic and Brexit.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 17-Dec-20 08:15:08

I knew someone who was a politician, and he told me that whenever he saw another politician whose lips were moving he would ask himself "Why is this b*****d lying to me?"

MayBee70 Thu 17-Dec-20 10:42:43

I am. DH said Ian Hislop was talking about Johnson being on HIGNFY and said he was a nightmare to work with. Totally disorganised and kept getting things mixed up. And yet people still think underneath the bumbling facade is a highly intelligent man. Even I thought he would become ministerial when he became PM but it never happened. I’m afraid that what you see really is what you get. He can’t even dress himself properly.

GillT57 Thu 17-Dec-20 11:02:46

I accept avoidance of a direct answer as a means of avoiding repercussions, I accept lots of talking but not actually saying anything, but I categorically will not accept deliberate lies. There are supposed to be standards of public behaviour. the Speaker needs to step up and do his job properly and re-direct Johnson to the question asked. I know that there is a great deal of theatricality in the HoC, but if the protocol does not allow one member to call another a liar, how is is permissible to tell lies? Johnson is a disgrace, a moral shambles of a man and a fool if he thinks that anyone is taken in by his 'bumbling Boris' act with the tousled hair.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Dec-20 11:07:28

Someone suggested that every time he touches his hair, he is lying.

25Avalon Thu 17-Dec-20 11:12:15

All politicians seem to me to be economical with the truth

MayBee70 Thu 17-Dec-20 11:31:18

There’s a difference between being economical with the truth and telling blatant lies though.

GillT57 Thu 17-Dec-20 11:48:15

Exactly my point. Being economical with the truth, if that truth may cause you or your party problems is one thing, but lies are quite another. How can fellow party members just sit there and listen to the diatribe of jibbering nonsense and party speak that he trots out? It is embarrassing to listen to him when he gets all blustery and defensive. The problem I have is that I now don't believe anything he says. He is morally bankrupt, a failed journalist, failed mayor and now a failed PM.