Gransnet forums

News & politics

Today's PMQs- Johnson deflecting questions as usual.

(61 Posts)
Dinahmo Wed 16-Dec-20 13:25:23

The PM as usual was ignoring the questions and coming up with totally different answers including the subject of Cummings payrise. He also informed the House that the 4 nations were unanimous and at the same the Welsh spokesman was announcing changes to the rules in Wales.

How much longer can we put up with this lying buffoon?

Pantglas2 Wed 16-Dec-20 13:32:54

The changes in Wales are not to the Rules but to the Guidance.....? aren’t we lucky to have our very own buffoon!

MayBee70 Wed 16-Dec-20 14:00:40

He just turns every question into another question and makes out that any criticism of the government is a criticism of the NHS or key workers. Why doesn’t the speaker make him actually answer the questions?or indeed why are no MP’s made to answer the questions put to them?

Septimia Wed 16-Dec-20 14:12:04

All politicians deflect questions all the time. So what's new?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 16-Dec-20 14:13:51

I was just about to post exactly the same Septima

Whitewavemark2 Wed 16-Dec-20 14:14:01

Not all politicians lie

MaizieD Wed 16-Dec-20 14:15:38

Before Al was elected as leader of the tory party I read an anecdote about his tendency to repeat just about the same 'speech', and behaviours, at after dinner speaking engagements.

I recall this story every time I see PMQs (and I've watched most of them since April) because Johnson actually seems to repeat the same lines every single time. Very often they have nothing at all to do with the question asked, Nothing at all. He's made one 'speech' do about 7 month's worth of work!

Still, we have world beating death figures. What more could we ask for? hmm

Blinko Wed 16-Dec-20 14:16:14

Must admit, I can't see any point in PMQs whilst the present incumbent remains in No.10. Total obfuscation and bluster.

MaizieD Wed 16-Dec-20 14:18:00

Whitewavemark2

Not all politicians lie

It's the tory voters' comfort blanket, Wwmk2. They have no other defence...

MayBee70 Wed 16-Dec-20 14:19:55

MaizieD

Before Al was elected as leader of the tory party I read an anecdote about his tendency to repeat just about the same 'speech', and behaviours, at after dinner speaking engagements.

I recall this story every time I see PMQs (and I've watched most of them since April) because Johnson actually seems to repeat the same lines every single time. Very often they have nothing at all to do with the question asked, Nothing at all. He's made one 'speech' do about 7 month's worth of work!

Still, we have world beating death figures. What more could we ask for? hmm

Yes, I read that article, too. He really is a one trick pony isn’t he.

lemongrove Wed 16-Dec-20 14:20:01

Septimia

Yup!
It’s what they all do, some have more clever ways of doing it and are smoother and better at it, is all.
PMQ’s is a waste of time and always has been.It’s about which side can put one over on the other side.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 16-Dec-20 14:22:21

Depressing isn’t it?

But I honestly feel there is hope. I’m sure the Tory worm is turning snd the one nation Tories are beginning to think they’ve had enough of nationalist populism, there are certainly rumblings, but how much spine they have? Time will tell.

MayBee70 Wed 16-Dec-20 14:24:29

It isn’t a waste of time when you have a top barrister asking the questions. And I’ll never accept the ‘all politicians lie’ arguement. It doesn’t matter which party they belong to. I was brought up not to lie and I assume others should have the same standards, especially those in high office.

lemongrove Wed 16-Dec-20 14:27:13

Then you wouldn’t last long in politics MayBee

Doodledog Wed 16-Dec-20 14:27:20

Septimia

I don't altogether disagree with this, but it's really no reason not to push for an expectation that they are routinely called to account and made to explain the reasons for what they've said not turning out to be the case.

I get a bit fed up with hearing bad behaviour excused because 'everyone does it'. It's not good enough, really - we should aim higher than that.

LaRia44 Wed 16-Dec-20 14:37:59

Pantglas 2, that was my first real laugh today,
Thank you

EllanVannin Wed 16-Dec-20 14:47:53

He's missing he who pulled his strings. The mouthpiece, DC.

MayBee70 Wed 16-Dec-20 14:48:00

I don’t think he can change the rules as they’ve been agreed by all 4 countries. But he can stress that just because something is allowed it doesn’t mean it’s a sensible thing to do.

Nezumi65 Wed 16-Dec-20 14:56:13

It was Jeremy Vine with the Boris story - here: reaction.life/jeremy-vine-my-boris-story/

The SHARK part of the story is a little too relevant to today!!

Nezumi65 Wed 16-Dec-20 15:12:31

More Brexit good cheer. I guess this will just be the start of loosening regulations. www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/dec/15/facebook-move-uk-users-california-eu-privacy-laws?fbclid=IwAR24cl2d-M1w9tyDsP7VzAnK78Qe4ZI3FFpRJqO4OdH_FaYFImzBv3j3tvw

Whitewavemark2 Wed 16-Dec-20 15:15:15

☹️

seamstress Wed 16-Dec-20 15:26:02

I'm unconvinced that "all politicians lie" is a defence of Johnson. He not only lies, he never answers the bloody questions - because he can't without making himself look a complete t*sser who cannot justify his own poor decisions. Some might think it acceptable for our leaders to lie, but I would think most don't.

Galaxy Wed 16-Dec-20 17:17:00

Everyone lies. This does not mean that there are not many politicians trying to do the right thing, driven by a desire to make things better for people, johnson isnt one of those in my view.

25Avalon Wed 16-Dec-20 17:23:21

Loved his answer about his present for Nicola Sturgeon.

MayBee70 Wed 16-Dec-20 17:30:02

The problem with lies now is that a lie can spread from one end of the world to another in seconds now.