Gransnet forums

News & politics

Maybe ignorance is bliss......

(97 Posts)
Shinamae Tue 22-Dec-20 09:31:28

I follow the news very regularly and have done for years,first thing in the morning it’s sky News and then periodically through the day to catch up on what’s going on. But I’m wondering at the moment that maybe I should not be watching the news so much/at all as it’s all getting a bit too much for me. I know someone who will not read a newspaper or watch the news on TV and seems quite oblivious to world affairs and the worry that they are bringing to people at the moment. Also with today’s technology we have every bit of news in our living rooms as it happens straight away where as years ago it took a while for things to filter through anyway I would be interested in your opinions......

Esspee Thu 24-Dec-20 08:24:50

I’m not having a good day here. Ignore my last post. It was meant for the interest rate thread. Oh for a delete button.

Esspee Thu 24-Dec-20 08:23:08

Sorry, that was my granny bond not an ISA.

Esspee Thu 24-Dec-20 08:21:50

I have just checked the news on the BBC website and not one word about the Dover haulage situation. Curious. Up until yesterday it was the lead story.

buylocal Wed 23-Dec-20 20:34:12

I have periodic personal news blackouts. Mainly I cannot stand the current trend in journalism to try to catch out anyone and everyone - nasty point scoring is not clever questioning. I wish we could have more mature interviewing and reporting where different perspectives are explored and appreciated. Sadly, the BBC is no better than anyone else these days.

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Dec-20 09:28:43

grannyrebel as someone who is trying to wean herself off LBC, I do think that it's the worst channels for putting the fear of God into you / depressing you.
DH seems to be glued to it aswell. I thought that him having had Covid and still being ill with it would have put him off hearing about it, but no.
And if he's not listening to the radio, he's got his nose in a newspaper.
I'm just thankful we don't have the news on the TV.

grannyrebel7 Wed 23-Dec-20 09:13:04

I like a moderate amount if news but my DH has LBC on constantly. It drives me mad! He puts it on as soon as he wakes up,has it on at various points throughout the day and we have to go to sleep with it now as well! Ask me anything about the news these days and I could tell you!

CanadianGran Wed 23-Dec-20 06:04:14

I admit to being a news junkie, but realize I am watching the same news twice a day, noon and evening. I have switched my routine a bit during the last months, so watching less, but perhaps getting more on-line.

I prefer a mixture of provincial, national and international news, but don't really want to watch two different programs.
I also really like financial and scientific news which I get on line.

My daughter introduced me to the flipboard app, which allows you to add articles from different subjects and sites. I have added Canadian news, finance, fashion, etc to personalize the different articles. I am always fascinated by any archaeological news, and that sort of thing isn't usually on the 6 o'clock...

Longdistancegrnny Wed 23-Dec-20 00:01:50

DH watches news at 1pm, 6pm and 10pm most days, I watch headlines and then drift in and out but seem to manage to know most of what is going on - also I listen to news when I am in the car, but don't let it dominate my life. I was shocked today when I dropped off some gifts to a local friend, and she said 'Do come in' - she was totally unaware that that was not allowed, and that being in Tier 4 meant that my AC could not join us for Christmas as planned....the news seems to pass her by completely -she said her DH knows all that stuff!

Galaxy Tue 22-Dec-20 20:51:37

I am also always fascinated by the particular antagonism reserved for female journalists.

growstuff Tue 22-Dec-20 20:49:19

NannyC2

The only reliable news I listen to now is UK Column!

Oh dear!

UK Column is a conspiracy site.

Doodledog Tue 22-Dec-20 20:45:57

Galaxy

I find the antagonism towards the press terrifying to be honest, quite trumpian. I thank god the press are doing their job even those I dont agree with.

I couldn't agree more. We are being told to distrust experts, to disbelieve the press, that teachers are good for nothing radicals, that the public are 'covidiots' (we are even fed vocabulary like that) and so on.

Who is left to trust? Oh, that nice man on the TV who is always referred to by his preferred (for the public) first name, and was quite funny once on Have I Got News For You.

NannyC2 Tue 22-Dec-20 19:34:24

The only reliable news I listen to now is UK Column!

SunnySusie Tue 22-Dec-20 19:31:15

Gave up watching the news on TV when I retired and didnt need to air intelligent opinions over business lunches! I read one weekend newspaper a week in detail and then just check out the headlines on a couple of web sites, but not more than twice a day. I agree that there is far, far to much speculation. That isnt news. You could speculate about almost anything, but its largely pointless and also often worrying. I swear the media created The Age of Anxiety and that was before Covid. I also signed up to the Good News network (goodnewsnetwork. org) and get one e-mail a day full of positive stories. Its amazing how much better I feel after I have read it.

sodapop Tue 22-Dec-20 16:52:41

icanhandthemback

Do we actually get the News these days or do we just get endless speculation about what might happen? Everything is catastrophised and designed to frighten whilst bleating on about the nation's mental health issues. The irony!

So true Icanhandthemback I agree.

poshpaws Tue 22-Dec-20 16:42:40

I don't watch tv news or read newspapers at all, though if I see something intriguing on Facebook I follow it up. I decided many years ago that I've done my bit in a big way trying by different means to help change the world for the better: now I'm much older I just want to be able to light a little candle in my own secluded part of the world and leave the crusading to the younger generation. The news simply depresses me to the point where I lose the will to live, so I'm better off not knowing all that's going on. I still sign petitons, and donate to causes/charities but I've given up even writing to my MP as he is a Tory without a single original thought in his head and apparently worships at the feet of Boris Johnson.

Ellie Anne Tue 22-Dec-20 16:04:47

My husband watches it at breakfast,lunchtime, 6 o’clock and 10 o clock. Once a day would do me but he gets huffy if it’s not on. And when he’s eating in the kitchen where there’s no tv he listens to it on the radio. I try to keep out of the way.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 22-Dec-20 15:18:22

I listen to the news once a day, in the morning, as I don't want to hear upsetting things at bedtime.

SuzannahM Tue 22-Dec-20 15:09:31

Haven't watched the news on TV for years - I use the internet to surf around different sites, so I get different versions of the news.

dumdum Tue 22-Dec-20 15:00:24

I try to avoid Laura K and Robert Peston. Find them both too much.

GillT57 Tue 22-Dec-20 14:49:50

I try not to watch as much as I used to, just for the sake of my mental health really. I wish journalists would be more aggressive and relentless in their questioning, especially when we all saw yesterday's debacle of a briefing where we were lied to over and over and witnessed secretive grins between Johnson and Schapps. I too try to vary my news source, and have a subscription to Private Eye who often start reporting on stories months, if not years before the msm pick it up. They campaigned for a long time about the injustice of the sacked and sometimes jailed post office staff who fell foul of the malfunctioning Post Office software, for example. They are also very good at digging out the connections between MPs and cronies when it comes to awarding of contracts, and it is not just Tory MPs for any who may think otherwise!

icanhandthemback Tue 22-Dec-20 14:26:41

Do we actually get the News these days or do we just get endless speculation about what might happen? Everything is catastrophised and designed to frighten whilst bleating on about the nation's mental health issues. The irony!

Rosina Tue 22-Dec-20 14:13:15

Newspapers and TV reports seem to drown us in negativity - so much is speculation, and doom mongering. A sub headline in my paper said 'Ten years before we are back to normal'. At my age that was an absolute heartsink moment but, reading on, the 'expert' had said that by the Spring we should be almost back to normal and absolute normality will perhaps take a year or two - maybe ten, he couldn't say. Slighty different, eh? I've also read today that 80% of the goods shipped into this county arrive unnacompanied and therefore not subject to delays. As for Laura Kuenssberg - I respected her for her intelligent political reporting. After her awful performances during the five o clock reports of the summer, I see her now as a cynical, critical harpy who keeps asking the same question without listening to the answer.

computor Tue 22-Dec-20 13:36:56

Merry Christmas to every one from me and my husband.Hope you all keep safe and well x

Poppsbaggie Tue 22-Dec-20 13:36:08

I believe Laura K is chief political editor for the BBC. She reports the news and asks pertinent questions at the government briefings, ie, she is doing her job. If you prefer radio, Radio 4 Today programme is enlightening, also LBC 10.00-13.00 The James O'Brien show is well worth a listen..

Madgran77 Tue 22-Dec-20 13:34:01

And anyway, some of the questions asked and the slant put on gge reporting is so obvious, biased and exaggerated that I cant see much point most of the time. Sick if the "catch them out" games.

Felt rather the same about the politicians pointless spin and gunghoism as well!