Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Macron grandstanding?

(92 Posts)
kittylester Wed 23-Dec-20 12:22:32

Boris is getting the blame for the lorry hold up but should the blame be laid at the door or M Macron. Does he really think stopping lorry drivers coming from the UK will keep the French free of the new virus or is he hoping to boost his ratings?

biba70 Fri 25-Dec-20 16:47:51

Sour grapes will be when the grapes can't come, or have gone mouldy and sour on the long long journey.

paddyanne Fri 25-Dec-20 15:38:47

Blue Passports ..lol

biba70 Fri 25-Dec-20 12:22:48

Well yes, this thin, barely a Deal, Deal - is better than none, that is for sure.

But the best Deal we ever had, we willfully chucked it in a fit of (for some, jingoïstic) nationalism. Which still does, and always will, feel like a massive act of self-harm, for what ???

Nezumi65 Thu 24-Dec-20 22:16:32

Of course a deal is better than complete chaos.

Still haven’t been told what will be better than before though.

I can think of a lot that will be worse.

lemongrove Thu 24-Dec-20 21:46:39

There has been so much moaning about Brexit and the chance of a no deal scenario, and now that we have secured a trade deal am guessing that there will be just as much moaning (and sour grapes.)

lemongrove Thu 24-Dec-20 21:43:43

Whitewavemark2

I expect too that Macron is also aware of our crap testing system.

He is showing up every inadequate thing in the U.K.

Because he can.

Because everything is France is so much better eh?
What a laugh!
He is grandstanding and petulant ( bet he’s not happy with the fishing quotas either.)

Nezumi65 Thu 24-Dec-20 19:24:28

varian

Without this utterly soul destroying brexit nonsense, we might have had a government able to concentrate properly on addressing the pandemic.

That might be optimistic with Johnson is charge grin May have had a better chance of a decent cabinet I guess.

varian Thu 24-Dec-20 17:26:38

Without this utterly soul destroying brexit nonsense, we might have had a government able to concentrate properly on addressing the pandemic.

Summerlove Thu 24-Dec-20 15:22:17

GillT57

Seeing as Brexit supporters keep insisting that one of their reasons for voting for this mess was to due with 'sovereignty' why on earth are they so upset when France exercise their right to sovereignty? Is it perhaps because they have just realised that we had these rights all along?

Maybe it because now it makes them look bad to the world.

Smileless2012 Thu 24-Dec-20 14:05:33

Yes that is good to see Mamie.

GillT57 Thu 24-Dec-20 12:04:40

Seeing as Brexit supporters keep insisting that one of their reasons for voting for this mess was to due with 'sovereignty' why on earth are they so upset when France exercise their right to sovereignty? Is it perhaps because they have just realised that we had these rights all along?

vegansrock Thu 24-Dec-20 11:12:53

Elianne so just because France is closer means they shouldn't control their borders? I thought that’s what the Brexit fans wanted? Also, there are ferries from the U.K. to The Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, and Norway. Are all these other countries not entitled to try to protect their citizens? Maybe if the U.K. had closed its borders or insisted on testing travellers back in March we wouldn’t have such high figures.

Mamie Thu 24-Dec-20 11:02:23

Good to see the French Fire Brigade taking 10,000 tests to Dover and working alongside British colleagues to administer them this morning.

Dinahmo Thu 24-Dec-20 10:38:25

LadyGracie

Macron has definitely shot himself in the foot, being egged on these last few months by the one and only Tony Blair.

Explain please. I don't understand your comment.

Ellianne Thu 24-Dec-20 10:00:34

vegansrock

I think haters just like to bash “the French” and ignore all the other countries that have imposed a travel ban.

I think that has more to do with geography vegansrock. I know there are a few other entry countries by sea to mainland Europe, but England to France and vice versa is the link.

LadyGracie Thu 24-Dec-20 09:35:45

Macron has definitely shot himself in the foot, being egged on these last few months by the one and only Tony Blair.

Nezumi65 Thu 24-Dec-20 09:11:03

Mamie

If you read the link to the John Lichfield article above, you will see that bashing the French is an age-old tabloid speciality. The pathetic thing is that people still fall for it.

Thanks Mamie - I will do. DH and I were discussing yesterday where the constant French bashing comes from and when it started.

Mamie Thu 24-Dec-20 09:07:12

If you read the link to the John Lichfield article above, you will see that bashing the French is an age-old tabloid speciality. The pathetic thing is that people still fall for it.

Nezumi65 Thu 24-Dec-20 08:02:11

vegansrock

I think haters just like to bash “the French” and ignore all the other countries that have imposed a travel ban.

And that we imposed a ban on Danish freight after the mink variant. Doesn’t fit the narrative.

vegansrock Thu 24-Dec-20 07:22:24

felice Thu 24-Dec-20 06:49:56

Ellenvannin, the Dutch and Belgian borders are also closed to UK traffic, as I have pointed out quite a few times on this post. Why should we get the mutated virus from the UK?

lemongrove Wed 23-Dec-20 21:49:49

trueblue22

yorklady I agree. There was a strong mutant strain in Spain and South Africa before being discovered here. I would have thought infections from Spain would have caused the greater spread of infection in France.

We are also at risk if being contaminated from those entering the UK. I really do think this behaviour from.Macron is a political stunt that will backfire...and as for his last minute opposition to the future fisheries policy angry

I agree, it’s completely a political stunt, and one that French lorry drivers won’t forget when they miss Christmas Day with their families.They won’t be voting for Macron at the next election.

Blossoming Wed 23-Dec-20 19:51:36

They would need new documentation to use a different port of exit and entry, and a different journey. It’s not a case of just turning round and going to a different departure point.

Urmstongran Wed 23-Dec-20 19:38:19

They did Nfk

NfkDumpling Wed 23-Dec-20 19:31:49

I thought they said the SA variant is different again from the Kent one.