Gransnet forums

News & politics

Julian Assange

(29 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 03-Jan-21 10:16:34

Judge is to rule tomorrow on his extradition to the US. What do we think?

www.euronews.com/2020/12/13/wikileaks-julian-assange-struggling-in-atrocious-british-prison-conditions-says-partner

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 03-Jan-21 10:39:32

Let him go, he isn’t even British.

Calendargirl Sun 03-Jan-21 10:40:37

Not really interested to be honest, but I hope he goes.

kittylester Sun 03-Jan-21 10:44:18

I have no opinion really, what do you think gaga?

timetogo2016 Sun 03-Jan-21 10:51:02

Let him go.
Another one bites the dust and then another one etc.

Witzend Sun 03-Jan-21 10:56:13

I hope he’ll find the conditions in a US jail more to his liking.

In reality I doubt he’ll be extradited, but it does grieve me that the U.K. taxpayer has to shell out for him to be detained at Her Majesty’s Pleasure.

Chewbacca Sun 03-Jan-21 11:06:02

Couldn't care less what happens to him. And I suspect very few others do either, especially after his short lived Ecuadorian citizenship was revoked last year, after he was suspected of collaborating in attempts to destabilize their government, after years of them offering him shelter. Let the USA have him back.

GagaJo Sun 03-Jan-21 11:06:28

I have contradictory opinions. I think wikileaks was right to public evidence of US war crimes. But on a personal level, I think he was a publicity seeking, unpleasant individual. I feel sorry for the Equadorian embassy. I think he was a massive burden to them. The Swedes have dropped their charges against him, so I don't really know why he is being held now. Don't trust the Americans either.

David0205 Sun 03-Jan-21 11:06:56

Witzend

I hope he’ll find the conditions in a US jail more to his liking.

In reality I doubt he’ll be extradited, but it does grieve me that the U.K. taxpayer has to shell out for him to be detained at Her Majesty’s Pleasure.

Not grieving as much as the Equadorian Embassy that hosted him for a long time, before deciding he really was a prat.
Deserves everything he gets.

NotSpaghetti Sun 03-Jan-21 11:10:37

I don’t like the man but feel strongly that he shouldn’t be sent to America. It was right to uncover war crimes - and that is of course why they want him.

MaizieD Sun 03-Jan-21 11:12:27

GagaJo

I have contradictory opinions. I think wikileaks was right to public evidence of US war crimes. But on a personal level, I think he was a publicity seeking, unpleasant individual. I feel sorry for the Equadorian embassy. I think he was a massive burden to them. The Swedes have dropped their charges against him, so I don't really know why he is being held now. Don't trust the Americans either.

I'm with you I think, GagaJo.

trisher Sun 03-Jan-21 11:15:47

Apparently he's being held for breaching bail conditions- in Belmarsh! I suspect he will be extradited, we usualy do what the Americans want.
I think the information he leaked needed to be out there. But I suspect that the Americans will make him pay for that.

Witzend Sun 03-Jan-21 11:15:56

I can’t feel sorry for the Ecuadorean embassy. Could be wrong, but I rather gathered that they took him in as a sort of ‘Up yours!’ gesture to the US.
So if it came back to bite them, tough.

GagaJo Sun 03-Jan-21 11:23:41

Yes, true trisher. Plus, we dance to the US tune now (Brexit) so have to be very careful not to annoy them.

Ah, good point Witzend. That hadn't occured to me.

David0205 Sun 03-Jan-21 11:58:40

Witzend

I can’t feel sorry for the Ecuadorean embassy. Could be wrong, but I rather gathered that they took him in as a sort of ‘Up yours!’ gesture to the US.
So if it came back to bite them, tough.

Like most of Latin America they have a love hate relationship with the US , they even use the US dollar as official currency. They do a lot of trade with the US but dont like the “gringos”and don’t have a free trade agreement.

GagaJo Mon 04-Jan-21 12:03:27

So he will NOT be extradited due to JA's depression and suicide risk. Although, the judge 'stuck to all the major arguments put forward by the US to characterise Assange’s work as going beyond free speech and journalism'. Not looking good for him in the future.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Jan-21 13:03:57

In what way GagaJo?

lemongrove Mon 04-Jan-21 13:08:38

GagaJo

I agree with some of this, but be can’t expect to do what he did with no comeback at all.
Whatever the outcome I hope we will boot him out of the UK.

GagaJo Mon 04-Jan-21 13:09:09

If the judge was sympathetic to the argument for extradition, and only refused because of the state of his mental health, an appeal surely has a chance of succeeding? I am no fan of the bloke, but I'd rather chance my arm in a British jail than an American one.

lemongrove Mon 04-Jan-21 13:09:37

The case will now be appealed.

lemongrove Mon 04-Jan-21 13:10:08

X posts

eazybee Mon 04-Jan-21 13:59:04

Apparently he is Australian, so time he was repatriated.
I don't see why we have to continue supporting him.

EllanVannin Mon 04-Jan-21 14:03:57

Not interested.

grannysyb Mon 04-Jan-21 15:29:57

The Americans always want us to extradite people from the UK to them, never seems to work the other way round!

Urmstongran Mon 04-Jan-21 15:37:11

Unless it’s that hooked hate cleric ... Hamzah?? We were grateful to ship him over for trial after his spoutings in Finsbury Park.