Gransnet forums

News & politics

Still European

(77 Posts)
Baggs Sun 03-Jan-21 14:07:39

Of course we are still European. We always were and always will be unless there's some sudden, gigantic tectonic shift in which case we probably won't be anything.

Beats me why people conflate the EU with Europe. The latter is a continent, the former a trading bloc containing some but not all European countries.

Just saying ?

biba70 Mon 04-Jan-21 13:33:16

Beginning to sound a bit like Trump with Obama, otherwise. Happy to send GN moderators a photocopy of my passport.

biba70 Mon 04-Jan-21 13:27:18

happy to please- for another thread perhaps.

So, yes, WE, British people, British people able to vote, British people strongly affected by this- just ... British. Simple enough Jane.

Ellianne Mon 04-Jan-21 11:16:06

biba70

Galaxy, lots of people on GN live abroad. But there is only one who is told again and again, that living abroad means she has no right to an opinion. Can you imagine what it would be like if I was actually foreign and not British?

Well I for one thought that person's opinion on continental cheeses was very interesting!
Oops sorry.

David0205 Mon 04-Jan-21 11:12:08

biba70

And how on earth did the ERG suddenly roll over and support this terrible deal- the type of deal they said they would never ever accept, NEVER. Just bizarre.

Is it really only because it has avoided the EU Tax Directive?

You are very close to the truth there Biba they only care about their own interests.

biba70 Mon 04-Jan-21 11:11:24

what on earth has this go to do with Brexit- and more importantly, the OP? Please.

Goodbyetoallthat Mon 04-Jan-21 11:10:20

I have just read that it is likely that the contactless card payments will be extended to £100 rather than £45 (good news).
What other benefits are we likely to receive?

biba70 Mon 04-Jan-21 11:09:42

Galaxy, lots of people on GN live abroad. But there is only one who is told again and again, that living abroad means she has no right to an opinion. Can you imagine what it would be like if I was actually foreign and not British?

Galaxy Mon 04-Jan-21 11:06:27

I find the obsession with where people live really unhelpful.

biba70 Mon 04-Jan-21 11:03:17

Oh Jane, not this old chestnut, again.

So tell me, about the ERG- why did they roll on their back? after saying they woud rather die in a ditch or explode, if ...

As for Switzerland, we are part of Schengen, we accept all EU rules for exporting, and Free Movement. And it has nothing, but nothing to do with this thread. Zilc, zero, nada, nichts, niente.

Jane10 Mon 04-Jan-21 10:59:41

By 'we' do you mean Switzerland where you live? Why isn't Switzerland part of the EU if membership is so desirable? Just a thought.

biba70 Mon 04-Jan-21 10:55:12

My question was about the ERG- who clearly said, No Deal is better than Bad Deal- which it clearly is.

What do you mean in 'some' areas - we have to follow all EU rules if we want to export to EU- all of them. Or tariffs are slapped on. And services, which are by far our highest earner, not even get a mention.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Jan-21 10:45:21

No outcry from me. I always wanted and hoped for a deal. Theresa May’s deal was even more Brexit-lite. The EU quite understandably drove a hard bargain and I think David Frost was a brilliant negotiator for us. All in all it’s so much better than no deal. And although closely aligned in some areas with the EU (that’s negotiation trade offs for you), we HAVE left in so many other areas so I’m a happy bunny.

biba70 Mon 04-Jan-21 09:57:38

An excellent article on the subject in the Guardian

www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/30/boris-johnson-brexit-vote-tories-bad-deal

perhaps for another thread though.

I still do not know what the OP was about- what the purpose was- apart from stir and mock. !?!

biba70 Mon 04-Jan-21 09:54:12

And how on earth did the ERG suddenly roll over and support this terrible deal- the type of deal they said they would never ever accept, NEVER. Just bizarre.

Is it really only because it has avoided the EU Tax Directive?

MaizieD Mon 04-Jan-21 09:46:07

I'm finding it odd that there is no outcry from Leavers about how 'the deal' leaves us so closely aligned to the EU, when for the last 4 years they've been insisting they wanted a clean break.

Or is 'rule takers with no say in the making of the rules' really what they voted for after all?

David0205 Mon 04-Jan-21 07:19:43

“Indeed, it gives them free access to our market- whereas it only gives us access to EU market if we continue to abide by all their rules and standards. If we deviate- they will slap tariffs. What kind of freedom is that.

And it does not involve services which are by far our biggest earners.”

Thats pretty much how it is, none of the advantages or easy access to the EU market and all of the disadvantages of customs checks and travel restrictions. Not quite the worst outcome, at least the UK backed down over fishing and tariffs. How we are going to get any benefit from trade with the rest of the world now looks very difficult with Biden as president.

The big mistake was expecting the EU to back down on their basic principles - they did not move one millimeter.

biba70 Sun 03-Jan-21 21:00:50

Whitewavemark2

MaizieD

What is amusing is that the 'deal' has left us much more closely aligned to the EU than many Leavers seem to understand. With lots of room for even closer alignment...

Brussels knew exactly what it was signing up to.

Indeed, it gives them free access to our market- whereas it only gives us access to EU market if we continue to abide by all their rules and standards. If we deviate- they will slap tariffs. What kind of freedom is that.

And it does not involve services which are by far our biggest earners.

paddyanne Sun 03-Jan-21 19:50:18

it was advisory or so they tell me ...when Scotland had its first devolution referendum there was a % of the electorate who needed to vote yes for it to pass..so although we were over 50% of those who voted it was disallowed thats why the turn out at the next one was massive we didn't want the same thing happening again.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 03-Jan-21 19:49:51

MaizieD

What is amusing is that the 'deal' has left us much more closely aligned to the EU than many Leavers seem to understand. With lots of room for even closer alignment...

Brussels knew exactly what it was signing up to.

Jane10 Sun 03-Jan-21 19:44:49

MaizieD spot on! ?

Lucretzia Sun 03-Jan-21 19:44:29

Well if that's the case, that's great MaizieD

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 03-Jan-21 19:44:25

It wasn’t valid because?

MaizieD Sun 03-Jan-21 19:42:19

MaizieD Sun 03-Jan-21 19:39:56

Oopsadaisy1

If everyone who wanted to stay in the EU had got off of their backsides and voted maybe we would still be in the EU.
But they didn’t and if they did, then the vote was a valid one and cannot be argued with.

As the vote wasn't a 'valid' one it can be argued with until kingdom come. Oopsadaisy

Whitewavemark2 Sun 03-Jan-21 19:38:53

varian I suspect that the EU is playing a waiting game, and it won’t be as long as many people think.