Gransnet forums

News & politics

Switzerland criticised for not rolling out vaccines fast enough

(36 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 04-Jan-21 15:41:05

Not just the UK and US that get flack for their handling of the virus.

“Switzerland has been playing too tactically and has only ordered from potential manufacturers a *of the vaccine it really needs,” declared former vice-director of the Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH) Andreas Faller in the SonntagsZeitung newspaper on January 3.

“Switzerland should have taken a certain risk by ordering a sufficient quantity from each manufacturer for the entire population. People are dying, the economy is damaged, every minute is precious. It is incomprehensible that the FOPH was so hesitant in purchasing the vaccine.”

www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss-authorities-accused-of-dragging-feet-over-covid-vaccinations/46258380

MawBe Mon 04-Jan-21 21:29:43

Returning to the thread topic and not one member’s medical history which is as Gagajo implies, really her own business

Not only Switzerland however.
From CNBC
The European Union has been criticised for the speed of its deployment of Covid vaccines, as its two biggest economies extend their coronavirus restrictions due to worrying case numbers.
A number of European officials have voiced their concerns about the bloc’s vaccination plans over the last few days and have asked the European Commission, the executive arm of the EU, to explain why it has not bought more jabs.

According to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, there have been more than 17 million reported cases of the coronavirus in the region (including the U.K.) to date.

It is difficult to explain that a very good vaccine is developed in Germany but is vaccinated more quickly elsewhere,” Markus Söder, the leader of the German region of Bavaria, said in an interview over the weekend, according to Politico. German company BioNTech has, together with Pfizer, developed one of the frontrunner Covid vaccines .

The European Union began its vaccination program in late December, after the approval of the Pfizer/BioNTech jab. Despite being developed in Germany, however, the jab received approval in the U.K. and the United States well before it was greenlit by the European authorities
Uğur Şahin, chief executive of BioNTech, also told the German press over the weekend that “the process in Europe certainly wasn’t as fast and straightforward as in other countries

Urmstongran Mon 04-Jan-21 21:28:40

Sorry GagaJo crossing threads seems to be par for the course tonight. biba did tell us at the weekend and genuinely as she seems out of sorts tonight I wondered in all innocence if she felt okay.

I sincerely apologise for mentioning it.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Jan-21 21:26:21

8.5 million people live in Switzerland.
Same as Scotland + Wales combined.

GagaJo Mon 04-Jan-21 21:25:11

Should we really be discussing that? Surely if Biba wanted to talk about it she would.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Jan-21 21:22:24

biba has Covid. Tested positive like her husband.
I hope you are feeling alright biba.
?

MawBe Mon 04-Jan-21 21:16:31

didn't say it was you. Why did you not pick up on the childish and pathetic comment when it was first made by someone else

Yes, Lemongrove why indeed didn’t you pick up on a comment made by somebody else ?
confused
<goes off muttering “Can’t get the staff.....” >

sodapop Mon 04-Jan-21 20:58:56

Apparently a former French health minister said if France continues to vaccinate 300 people per week they will still be doing it in 5,000 years .

lemongrove Mon 04-Jan-21 20:50:17

Are you annoyed that this thread was started about Switzerland? Gagajo lives and works there at the moment and was highlighting the fact that the Swiss government is being criticised just as our country is.

lemongrove Mon 04-Jan-21 20:45:31

Why did I not pick up on it?
FGS biba if you felt annoyed by what was said then just say so on the particular thread, don’t pick fights with other posters who you just happen not to like.....
Since I don’t read every post on every thread I wondered what on earth was wrong with you.

merlotgran Mon 04-Jan-21 20:30:21

Are you recovered now, biba?

biba70 Mon 04-Jan-21 20:16:32

didn't say it was you. Why did you not pick up on the childish and pathetic comment when it was first made by someone else 'And if you don’t want to chat, shoo.'...

it is childish, pathetic, worse even. So leave you to it. Hypocrisy of the worst kind.

lemongrove Mon 04-Jan-21 20:12:24

You were not told anything by me biba ....why continue this childish behavour across various threads.

biba70 Mon 04-Jan-21 20:10:15

no no, this is exactly what I was told on the other thread, so fair enough, no?

lemongrove Mon 04-Jan-21 20:08:09

What in earth is the matter with you tonight biba ? Are you quite alright?

biba70 Mon 04-Jan-21 20:05:30

just shoo, lemon

biba70 Mon 04-Jan-21 20:04:51

yes, enjoying the chat, wonderful.

lemongrove Mon 04-Jan-21 20:03:52

As long as you’re enjoying yourself MaizieD hmm

biba70 Mon 04-Jan-21 19:59:22

There is absolutely nothing wrong with discussing the issues that any country has- and yes, gaga is right that other countries are finding current Covid issues difficult. That is not 'bashing' at all.

Fact is, no other country is considering administering vaccine not followign strict protocol as per manufacturer/research.

MaizieD Mon 04-Jan-21 19:50:39

MaizieD you only appear to enjoy UK bashing it would seem.?

I like to stick to what I know about first hand, lemon. grin

MaizieD Mon 04-Jan-21 19:48:40

GrannyGravy13

Yes I was Jaxjacky apologies for not making that clear.

Thank you. That makes it totally understandable grin

GrannyGravy13 Mon 04-Jan-21 19:03:45

Yes I was Jaxjacky apologies for not making that clear.

lemongrove Mon 04-Jan-21 19:01:39

Hats off to GagaJo for the thread, showing that there are many problems and critics of governments in other countries,....MaizieD you only appear to enjoy UK bashing it would seem.?

GagaJo Mon 04-Jan-21 18:56:11

Am I in a fight? I hadn't noticed.

Jaxjacky Mon 04-Jan-21 18:35:07

MaizieD I think GG13 was referring to my post?

biba70 Mon 04-Jan-21 18:34:15

Well huge controversy on the subject in France Maizie, as you well know.

NO other country is planning to administer any vaccine not following strict scientific protocol as determined by the researchers/manufacturers. NONE: