Gransnet forums

News & politics

Good News. Parliament to debate petition signed by members of gransnet

(24 Posts)
MaizieD Fri 08-Jan-21 23:00:15

I know that, trisher. What is the 'report' that petra is sure is being suppressed?

I don't understand the timing of this petition.

I'm not sure of its purpose.

trisher Fri 08-Jan-21 22:47:42

It is the one discussed in the Guardian report. MaizieD It says that the problem is not confined to Pakistani gangs and the majority are not Pakistani.
It may have some faults but I think it is unlikely that a public enquiry would get people who have survived such abuse to attend and give evidence. If they did do so most would need to be given proper protection, and allowed anonymity.
I don't understand the timing of this petition.

MaizieD Fri 08-Jan-21 22:10:43

Oh goodness. Who to believe?

petra says it will never come out, trisher posts a link to it.

hmm

Or is petra speaking of a different report?

trisher Fri 08-Jan-21 20:30:21

The report published in December is available here assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/944206/Group-based_CSE_Paper.pdf

petra Fri 08-Jan-21 18:49:51

trisher
When The Independent were making noises about this report they were told that it wasn't in the public interest and that there was very sensitive information in the report.
I repeat. This will never come out.

MaizieD Fri 08-Jan-21 18:41:45

trisher

An inquiry has been on-going since 2015 and has been gathering statements and evidence from witnesses in 2020. It presented a paper in December 2020. It's difficult to see how the public enquiry requested would be able to collect statements from some of the vulnerable abused better than a parliamentary inquiry could.

Is that the Home Office Inquiry that the Guardian was reporting on, trisher?

Buffybee Fri 08-Jan-21 17:06:15

First I’ve seen if this but signed and passed on to Facebook.

Galaxy Fri 08-Jan-21 16:11:23

I didn't sign it either. When one of the responses to it was I will send it to Tommy, I tend to think it has little to do with concern for women and girls.

trisher Fri 08-Jan-21 16:08:37

An inquiry has been on-going since 2015 and has been gathering statements and evidence from witnesses in 2020. It presented a paper in December 2020. It's difficult to see how the public enquiry requested would be able to collect statements from some of the vulnerable abused better than a parliamentary inquiry could.

NannyC2 Fri 08-Jan-21 15:53:30

Great, that's good news.

25Avalon Fri 08-Jan-21 15:01:49

MaisieD regardless of what motivated people to sign the petition I still think it is important whoever the perpetrators may be. The issue needs to be addressed so that all young girls or boys are protected regardless of background. That is why I signed.

MaizieD Fri 08-Jan-21 14:54:44

25Avalon

The petition is for an inquiry into grooming gangs. It makes no mention of what race, ethnicity, religion the perpetrators are.

I'd like to think that you're correct, Avalon. Unfortunately there has been massive publicity about Asian grooming gangs over the years and I have a nasty feeling that that is what has motivated the petition for an enquiry.

Which is why I wouldn't sign it.

MaizieD Fri 08-Jan-21 14:52:04

I’m glad she’s Asian actually. She can ask questions that some PC people would cast aspersions on if it were from male, pale etc.

I don't think she gets to ask any questions at an enquiry. If she appeared she'd be a witness, she'd be answering questions.

Sarnia Fri 08-Jan-21 14:08:22

I have a daughter living in Yorkshire where many of these grooming gangs have been found. They are predominantly Asian/Middle Eastern but does it matter what colour or race they are? Their crimes are despicable scarring these poor young girls, predominantly white, I might add, for the rest of their lives. Another crime is why a petition has to be raised at all and the length of time this has taken to reach an inquiry.

Urmstongran Fri 08-Jan-21 13:59:44

Duh. *wasn't

Urmstongran Fri 08-Jan-21 13:59:17

MOnica it was PP who blocked it but the civil servants.

I’m glad she’s Asian actually. She can ask questions that some PC people would cast aspersions on if it were from male, pale etc.

I’m glad I signed that petition. Thank you so much George4444 for the update. I hope it stirs up a robust response. Pussyfooting around heinous crimes, for whatever reason, doesn’t to anyone any favours.

25Avalon Fri 08-Jan-21 13:54:44

The petition is for an inquiry into grooming gangs. It makes no mention of what race, ethnicity, religion the perpetrators are.

MaizieD Fri 08-Jan-21 13:46:00

Oh, forget link

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/19/home-office-report-grooming-gangs-not-muslim

MaizieD Fri 08-Jan-21 13:45:19

Patel wouldn't look very good if she blocked it, seeing that the racists among us are convinced that 'grooming gangs' consist solely of Asians. She could be accused of protecting her own.

I don't see what civil servants have to do with it. It's no problem for them if an enquiry goes ahead. So I think it might happen.

Sadly for the racists, though:

This week marks a watershed moment in a decade of discussion of “grooming gangs”: a much-anticipated Home Office report has concluded that there is no credible evidence that any one ethnic group is over-represented in cases of child sexual exploitation.

For many in Britain today the term “grooming gang” immediately suggests Pakistani-heritage Muslim men abusing white girls, but the Home Office researchers now tell us that research has found that group-based offenders are most commonly White ”.

petra Fri 08-Jan-21 12:57:35

George
As much as I would like to see a debate, leading to a public enquiry I have little faith after reading how the civil servants blocked Priti Patel at every turn.
The same thing is going to happen when the committees ask for information from the Home Office sorry, we don't have that/ can't find that just as they did with Priti Patel.

EllanVannin Fri 08-Jan-21 12:55:23

That's good news.

Blossoming Fri 08-Jan-21 12:51:15

I got this email yesterday, good news indeed.

B9exchange Fri 08-Jan-21 12:29:03

Good to know, thank you

George4444 Thu 07-Jan-21 11:10:12

People who signed the petition received the email below from the parliamentary petition team this morning. Getting a debate is a positive step on the way to getting a public inquiry into grooming gangs. The petition is still open at this time for signatures. I would like to thank all gransnet members who signed the petition.

Here is the email:

"Dear ,

Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – “We the British People Request a Public Inquiry into Grooming Gangs”.

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/327566

The debate is scheduled for 18 January 2021.

Once the debate has happened, we’ll email you a video and transcript.

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament"