Gransnet forums

News & politics

A big thank you to those who voted for Brexit

(790 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 07-Jan-21 16:03:15

I've just been reading about the additional charges that people buying goods from the UK are having to pay on purchases arriving in EU countries. So much so that many retailers are no longer selling to people in the EU. The list is long but includes M & S, John Lewis and Fortnums. I buy a variety of things from the UK, including clothing and health supplements. I am no longer able to do this. But it's not just me and other Brits living abroad, it's everybody in the EU.

So, those cheesemakers will have a hard time and I will no longer be able to buy the very good quality cheddar from my local supermarket (which the French like to, not just Brits) because it will be too expensive.

varian Sat 30-Jan-21 12:22:55

To go back to the OP's point, surely if we are going to give a "big thank you" to those who voted for brexit, we ought to include those who really made it happen, not just the billionaire tax dodging newspaper proprietors but the Russians?

"Russian interference in the Brexit referendum included the promotion of misinformation through both fake social media accounts and state-sponsored media outlets such as RT and Sputnik.

According to a US senate report, Russian state media channel RT covered the referendum campaign extensively and offered "systematically one-sided coverage". A parliamentary inquiry into disinformation and 'fake news' cited research estimating the value of anti-EU Russian state media during the EU referendum campaign at between £1.4 and 4.14 million.

Data released by Twitter in 2018 identified 3,841 accounts of Russian origin affiliated with the Internet Research Agency, as well as 770 potentially from Iran, which collectively sent over 10 million Tweets in "an effort to spread disinformation and discord", according to The Telegraph, with a "day-long blitz" on the day of the referendum. One study, with a sample of 1.5 million tweets containing hashtags relating to the referendum, found that almost a third of all tweets had been generated by just 1% of the 300,000 sampled accounts. They found that both pro-Leave and pro-Remain bots existed but that "the family of hashtags associated with the argument for leaving the EU dominates", with pro-Leave bots tweeting more than three times as often.

In November 2017, The Times reported that researchers from Swansea University and UC Berkeley had identified around 150,000 accounts with links to Russia that tweeted about Brexit in the run-up to the referendum. Others at City, University of London had previously documented a network of 13,493 accounts that tweeted about the referendum, “only to disappear from Twitter shortly after the ballot”. A working paper for the National Bureau of Economic Research claims the influence of Twitter bots may have been significant enough to impact the result, roughly calculating that automated accounts may have ultimately been responsible for around 1.76 percentage points of the 'Leave' vote share."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_interference_in_the_2016_Brexit_referendum

JaneJudge Fri 29-Jan-21 10:17:02

Sorry I realise that is a bit random blush there were quite a few nice pubs round there, there was a lovely one opposite Amerton farm but that closed down aswell and there was a nice one in Weston

JaneJudge Fri 29-Jan-21 10:13:46

Yes! I was reading the thread and thinking about the William Salt Library and then you mentioned Salt! It really was a nice pub. I just googled though and apparently it has closed down sad

Callistemon Fri 29-Jan-21 10:10:31

The Holly Bush?

JaneJudge Fri 29-Jan-21 10:09:53

Callistemon

I used to visit an elderly aunt who lived in Salt and we used to go to an excellent pub there.

so did we grin we always used to have our Christmas meal there!
god that was a long time ago as I haven't lived round there for almost 20 years shock

Callistemon Fri 29-Jan-21 10:03:07

I used to visit an elderly aunt who lived in Salt and we used to go to an excellent pub there.

NotSpaghetti Fri 29-Jan-21 00:48:48

Oh if I must talk salt....
?
I have a lovely flaked salt with truffle from Italy...
Maybe we need a salt thread....

Mollygo Thu 28-Jan-21 23:04:50

These posts on salt have been great. We bought fleur de sel fromNoirmoutier, but of course we can’t visit any more.
It lasts for ages because we don’t use much. I’m going to investigate some of those salts mentioned here. Thanks for the info.

nanna8 Thu 28-Jan-21 22:39:40

Well salt is safe from the clutches of Brexit.

Callistemon Thu 28-Jan-21 22:36:22

Maldon as you know comes in a packet
I keep Maldon salt in an old coffee jar (Douwe Egberts which has a good seal). Actually, the cardboard container is biodegradable, unlike the plastic tub the Cornish salt comes in.

Goodness knows where Douwe Egberts coffee is grown.

NotSpaghetti Thu 28-Jan-21 20:01:29

Why are we all talking about UK salt on this thread?
??

muse Thu 28-Jan-21 12:32:39

MaizieD

Cornish sea salt? hmm

As an Essex girl I can tell you that the very best British sea salt is Maldon sea salt, renowned worldwide...

www.bonappetit.com/story/history-of-maldon-salt

Maldon is very good. We prefer salt flakes. Bought Cornish sea salt when I first moved here but I can't get their flakes locally. So went back to using Maldon flakes but keep them in the cornish salt container because it has a good seal. Our cottage is really damp. Maldon as you know comes in a packet.

MayBee70 Wed 27-Jan-21 23:51:14

Nandalot

It’s significant that the majority in Liverpool voted remain unlike similar areas. The Sun is largely boycotted in Liverpool because of its comments after the Hillsborough tragedy.

Yes, I was puzzled at the time until DH told me about The Sun boycott. Just goes to show the influence papers like that have.

Casdon Wed 27-Jan-21 18:25:39

Here you are JenniferEccles, a very robust study by Ofcom of the media sources used by the British public.
www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/201316/news-consumption-2020-report.pdf
The times they are a-changin.

JenniferEccles Wed 27-Jan-21 13:46:14

I wonder how many of the Guardian’s 10 readers voted to leave?!

NotSpaghetti Wed 27-Jan-21 12:58:29

That's interesting Nandalot - I didn't know that about Liverpool and remain.

Nandalot Wed 27-Jan-21 12:54:06

It’s significant that the majority in Liverpool voted remain unlike similar areas. The Sun is largely boycotted in Liverpool because of its comments after the Hillsborough tragedy.

Dinahmo Wed 27-Jan-21 12:23:27

Varian Your post reminded me of the Sun's response - "It was the Sun wot won it" Front page headline when Blair and Labour won the election in 1992.

varian Wed 27-Jan-21 10:26:36

Press Gazette analaysis has found that overall, national press coverage was strongly weighted in favour of Leave in the month leading up to the referendum.

Four national newspaper titles were found to be strongly biased in favour of Leave through their choice of front-page stories: the Daily Express, Daily Mail, Daily Telegraph and The Sun.

Data from the British Election Study found that some 70 per cent of Sun and Daily Express readers voted Leave in the referendum, followed by 66 per cent of Daily Mail readers, 55 per cent of Daily Telegraph readers and 44 per cent of Daily Mirror readers.

A report by NatCen, called Understanding the Leave Vote, said: “The balance of pro- and anti- Leave positions of the newspapers was important given how many people read them, particularly the popular press. It is interesting to note that, when it came to the EU Referendum vote, people were more likely to follow the position of the newspaper they read than the political party they identify with.”

www.pressgazette.co.uk/study-readers-of-the-sun-express-and-daily-mail-strongly-favoured-brexit-in-eu-referendum/

Lovetopaint037 Wed 27-Jan-21 10:03:59

I blame the Daily Mail and everyone who reads it. I don’t know anyone who reads this regularly who didn’t vote to leave. Must be wrong but that’s how it seems.

nanna8 Wed 27-Jan-21 07:57:44

Certain foods need salt though. I know it is bad for you but I have to have salt on chips and boiled eggs. I can do without it on other things.

growstuff Wed 27-Jan-21 01:26:12

I haven't bought salt for cooking for years. The only salt I ever buy is to grit my front path. Is one sort better than another?

nanna8 Tue 26-Jan-21 23:35:42

I used to get that pink salt but they said it had additives that are bad for you so I’ve gone back to whatever it is Aldi uses in its salt grinders. Didn’t realise there were that many different ones, tbh

Chewbacca Tue 26-Jan-21 20:27:13

Halen Mon sea salt from Anglesey that's the one I use. Very "strong"; a little goes long way.

Callistemon Tue 26-Jan-21 19:57:16

Everything in moderation