Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump is shocked his supporters are low life/low class

(100 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 10-Jan-21 20:40:27

He's deluded about how he is perceived, clearly!

As a mob of his supporters stormed the US Capitol on Wednesday, Donald Trump was reportedly unconcerned about the destruction or insurrection taking place but instead how the violent extremists appeared “low-class”.

The president’s ardent loyalists breached security measures and clashed with police, injuring at least 14 people and killing one officer, in the wake of Mr Trump’s fiery speech filled with falsities about the 2020 election.

Mr Trump had called on the audience, which had gathered in DC from across America, to march to the Capitol building as Congress convened to certify the results of his electoral defeat to President-elect Joe Biden.

What followed was a violent and historic scene: QAnon conspiracy theorists dressed in furs, domestic terrorists waving confederate flags, and hundreds of men and women in Trump campaign gear ransacking lawmakers’ offices. Some took the Senate dais and echoed the president’s false claims of voter fraud.

Mr Trump was apparently turned off by the chaotic scene, although not due to the assault on the US government but according to New York Magazine, because his supporters looked “low-class”.

“He doesn’t like low class things,” an anonymous White House source told the magazine.

uk.yahoo.com/news/trump-more-upset-capitol-mob-161414823.html

MawBe Sun 10-Jan-21 20:56:28

He doesn’t like low class things,” an anonymous White House source told the magazine

<Snort! >

GagaJo Sun 10-Jan-21 20:57:00

Quite MawBe.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-Jan-21 20:57:46

Yes I saw that. Delusional is being kind I think.

Iam64 Sun 10-Jan-21 21:06:12

I read this today as well. It seems many people are now speaking openly to journalists about just how bad things are in the White House.

One of the things I haven't seen mentioned on the Trump threads here is the presence of many Confederate flags amongst the mob. The racism, presence of self declared white supremacists, the absence of black or other ethnic groups goes without saying. Confederate flags - somehow raises the spectre of a level of racism towards black Americans I found even more shocking somehow.

Callistemon Sun 10-Jan-21 21:09:50

Money doesn't buy class!

Lucretzia Sun 10-Jan-21 21:12:08

You're right there, Callistemon

But I've no time for an anonymous White House source either.

Be brave and give your name! I'm tired of sources.

Nanna58 Sun 10-Jan-21 21:12:39

If Melania has the same dislike of ‘low class’ I give it only a couple of months before the divorce request!!! ( I actually think they’re both pretty low rent!!)

Iam64 Sun 10-Jan-21 21:14:31

Lucretzia, the accounts I read did name names. One was Melania's assistant who resigned because of the mob attack on the Capital building. The other had worked for Mr T. Sorry, my memory for names has gone walk about.

Lucretzia Sun 10-Jan-21 21:17:59

That's good, Iam64!

I think the media should stick to named sources these days. No excuse for hiding .

Not that I disbelieve anything negative that is written about the unforgettable Mr Trump.

EllanVannin Sun 10-Jan-21 21:19:06

Everything to match, eh ?

Lucca Sun 10-Jan-21 21:23:55

Trump family. Sheer class

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-Jan-21 21:29:51

iam64 I learnt today that the flag being flown by the mob, is the same used by the Nazis in Germany, where the swastika is banned.

This is no coincidence. It is overtly racist and ant-Semite. It is directly aimed at the American black population.

M0nica Sun 10-Jan-21 22:12:18

It is very low class to incite yur supporters to riot and the next day disown them and abuse them.

Words quoted as being used to describe Trump in these last few days include 'unhinged' and 'insane', in the medical sense not the social sense.

Democratic leaders have been liaising with senior members of the armed forces, to ensure that there is no chance of obedience to demands from Trump on 'red button' issues - using nuclear armaments against china/Iran/North Korea etc.

Trump is a cornered rat and he is using every possible method, fair or foul, and regardless of the damage he is causing to the USA, its government or its people, to avoid facing up to the fact that he lost the election.

Any chance of a comeback has been completely blown by his behaviour over the last few days.

Jane43 Sun 10-Jan-21 23:07:45

But a huge number of people are still loyal to him and it’s blind loyalty. On News At Ten this evening the reporter was talking to some Trump supporters who claimed that the ones who carried out the violence were from Antifa, the Trump supporters just made a peaceful protest according to them. They justified their strange claim by saying there was never any violence at any of Trump’s rallies. Also Biden’s Secret Service personnel have had to be changed because it is thought that there may be Trump loyalists among them. Unless he is blocked from standing for President in 2024 he will build on this support, playing on the action the Democrats will have to take to clear up his mess. He may have been banned from Twitter but his children and other allies haven’t and he will get his message out one way or another. My hope is that the impeachment will be successful and the court cases and debt payments that are due soon will limit what he is able to do.

M0nica Sun 10-Jan-21 23:31:50

A huge number of people, but only in US terms. Droves have thrown him over since the events on Wednesday. Trump is essentially a Republican, and the chances of him getting the Republican endorsement at the next election are very low indeed. Many people voted Trump because he was the Republican candidate and they are staunchly loyal to their party and its candidates. But Trump out of office will have to go through all the primaries and caucases that precede choosing a candidate, and the Republican rank and file are deeply ashamed about what has happened this week.

He will, of course have a following of extremists and obsessives, but there is a strong Libetarian thread in American culture. From the start the country accepted all those who could not live comfortably in more conformist cultures, including our own. Those wide open spaces and wildernesses enabled rugged individualist to build their lives to their own rules without intervention from church or state. That is there and will always be there and men like Trump will attract their vote, but not now the vote of the majority.

The current following for absurd and totally ludicrous theories like those promulgated by QAnon is unnerving and have risen with the rise of social media.

I can remember living in a village where a local man devoted his life and all his money to fighting endless cases to do with changes to a local footpath for which he blamed a local wealthy busnessman and the fact that he was in cahoots with the Freemasons and judiciary.

We locals just put up with him as a crank with an obsession, but nowadays he would be on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, building up a following who saw him as the little man fighting an oppressor and of a sudden a minor local irritant would have followers prepared to believe anything he said, regardless of the fact that his case had been thrown out of court again and again and really was both defamatory and delusional.

David0205 Mon 11-Jan-21 07:03:30

Just like the UK there are plenty of extreme right wingers of all classes and income, the difference is the higher income group have worked out the system. The low income group are the resentful failures who just took the “fight for what you believe in” literally

FannyCornforth Mon 11-Jan-21 07:18:56

I'm a bit confused / sceptical about him being 'surprised' about the calibre of his supporters.
Trump knows exactly who his audience are from all of those rallies he does.
That's why he's been so successful, surely, knowing his customers?
Remember when he said 'I love the poorly educated'?
And also what he said about 'shooting someone on Fifth Avenue'? He said that his supporters would forgive him anything.
Trump knows his brand.

Esspee Mon 11-Jan-21 08:24:21

Surely he himself is poorly educated. You only have to listen to any of his unscripted speeches to come to that conclusion.

sodapop Mon 11-Jan-21 08:26:23

And where is Melania, not seen since New Year apparently.

FannyCornforth Mon 11-Jan-21 08:31:09

There's a difference between being poorly educated and stupid ,Esspee
I'm sure that Trump had the benefit of an excellent education.
I'm not utterly convinced that he is stupid either.
Btw, I've just bought the kindle edition of Mary L Trump's book about him.
It was 99p, compared to £20 for the print edition!

M0nica Mon 11-Jan-21 15:06:50

*FannyCornforth, I totally agree. Of course Trump has always known who and what his supporters were, but Trump does not deal in loyalty. Everyone is expendable once they cease to be useful.

Trump is now a cornered rat, and even the coolest head can act uncharacteristically when caught in a trap, as Trump now is.

He is anyway a man with several psychological problems, that he is a narcissist is undeniable, one from a privileged background, who until recently has always been able to talk or bully himself out of any situation and never admit he is wrong or has lost. His contempt for 'losers', knows no bounds. But that is just what he now is

Trump has just lost the biggest and most important election in the world. Everyone everywhere knows he is a loser, he will now stop at nothing to reverse the result. He knew well in advance that he might lose, which is why he was peddling rumours about unsafe postal votes early last summer. Now as every attempt to reverse the result fails, he has taken to encouraging force - and there the cornered rat miscalculated.

The biggest democracy in the world with a leader who if he cannot stay in power legally, tries to use force - and there he went too far. When he realised he tried to back pedal, junking those who had responded to his rabble rousing.

A leader who urges his troops to battle, and then runs away leaving them to fight and fall alone can never lead again because no one will fight for him. Every step Trump now takes alienates more of his fervent supporters.

He is now a busted flush, every step he takes makes him more of a loser. He is a very dangerous man at present and for the next nine days we can only hold our breath.

Fennel Mon 11-Jan-21 17:50:27

I read an article which said that the leader of the 'Proud Boys' is a coloured Cuban.

Tweedle24 Mon 11-Jan-21 17:58:00

Sodapop Melanie has made a statement claiming that since the riots in Washington, she has been the victim of personal insults and threats from the rioters. She condemned the behaviour of those who stormed the Capitol.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-Jan-21 18:06:08

Apparently she made a speech in the summer, and this is a cut and paste from that speech. What an extraordinary lot they are.