Gransnet forums

News & politics

Censorship by Apple Amazon Facebook

(71 Posts)
Stormystar Mon 11-Jan-21 19:50:38

How can we think we live in Democratic Societies when Global Corporations have more power over what can be spoken and written than governments. They hold the power. Cutting out a mans tongue does not prove him a liar it evidences their fear of what he may say.

growstuff Tue 12-Jan-21 16:23:59

There's a difference between free speech and hate speech. I do not believe that unrestricted free speech should be allowed if people abuse the privilege. Unfortunately, the Parler organisers will just find a different platform.

growstuff Tue 12-Jan-21 16:26:01

Democratic society has decided that speech such as that used on Parler was unacceptable. That's democracy in action.

Galaxy Tue 12-Jan-21 16:26:58

Yes of course but you need to be happy who decides what is hate speech because the last people in the world I want making that decision are the likes of Twitter who a fortnight ago thought everything trump did was ok.

Elegran Tue 12-Jan-21 16:33:16

If the corner shop-keeper bears a responsibility for what is published on the noticeboard in his shop window, then Twitter has a responsibility for the fact that an insurrection was being organised (without concealing the fact) on their platform.

Galaxy Tue 12-Jan-21 16:37:39

Yes I agree if they have the power to ban (which I think they were right to do, this isnt about Trump who I loathe and is a very dangerous man) then they should take responsibility for supporting Trump for years. It needs public regulation then it actually would be democracy. Otherwise you have immense power in the hands of one individual who for all we know could be a different type of trump.

growstuff Tue 12-Jan-21 16:39:45

janeainsworth

Galaxy Do you know that there is quite a concerted attempt to shut MN down, it doesnt work because Justine is very brave
shock who’s trying to shut MN down?

Gina Ford tried to sue Mumsnet ages ago, but I didn't know anybody else had.

Bibbity Tue 12-Jan-21 16:47:52

Twitter et al are private companies. They aren’t a right and no one gets to demand their service. If you break their rules out you go.

And we have freedom of speech. We do not have freedom of responsibility.

janeainsworth Tue 12-Jan-21 16:51:21

Thanks growstuff I just googled & it was 2006!

Galaxy Tue 12-Jan-21 17:07:56

As MN has become a place where women discuss the conflict between womens sex based rights and the transgender issue, it has been consistently targeted, a number of advertisers were targeted to withdraw support from MN because of its commitment to free speech on this area. Nothing to do with Gina Ford, way before my time that. Some advertisers withdrew under pressure but Justine has stood firm on this issue.

Galaxy Tue 12-Jan-21 17:11:49

As long as you are happy with someone like Trump deciding what those rules are and holding the reins of public discourse.

Stormystar Wed 13-Jan-21 16:32:18

Exactly Galaxy. We are sliding into a massive threat to Free Speech, as evidenced in our own universities through no platforming. Where debate and discussion of opposing opinions was the foundation of understanding insight and empathy. We are to a great degree socially constructed and now Global cooperations have power over governments to silence whom they choose. The ultimate consequences of this is very frightening. And Geekees why do you want to make me feel unwelcome for bringing up the subject for free discussion

janeainsworth Wed 13-Jan-21 16:42:46

Stormystar there’s a bit of a difference between student societies no-platforming guest speakers and Twitter banning the President of the United States for inciting violence and hatred.

Is your username in some way related to the storming of the Capitol?
Serious question.

EllanVannin Wed 13-Jan-21 16:49:55

A troublesome site which must have caused untold misery to many---good riddance I say.
It would appear that millions can say whatever they wish to a " faceless" person. Cowardice in its entirety.

Lucca Wed 13-Jan-21 16:56:46

I’d like a bit more explanation of the OP if possible? Are you saying Trump should not have been banned ? Just asking

GagaJo Wed 13-Jan-21 17:30:28

Stormystar, I wouldn't take offense at geekees comment. Pure vitriol is bandied around on here at times. If you take offense easily, you won't last long on here.

Gangsta grannies here!

varian Wed 13-Jan-21 17:32:06

Trump is and never has been worthy of the office of President of the United States.

His appalling disregard of the truth and incitement of violence should have got him thrown off any public forum long ago.

Stormystar Wed 13-Jan-21 17:33:30

I was neither condoning or condemning individual actions I was just opening up the discussion to the deeper meaning of Freedom of Speech and Thought. And yes I consider what happens within our Universities immensely important. What do you imagine banning DM will achieve ? and are we prepared for the repercussions of this. Unaccountable unelected giant cooperations are running the show and orchestrating the Narrative

varian Wed 13-Jan-21 17:34:44

Who is DM?

Stormystar Wed 13-Jan-21 17:36:50

Thanks Gagajo as you can tell I’m a newbi but don’t be concerned I’m a fast learner

Lucca Wed 13-Jan-21 17:40:37

GagaJo

Stormystar, I wouldn't take offense at geekees comment. Pure vitriol is bandied around on here at times. If you take offense easily, you won't last long on here.

Gangsta grannies here!

How was geekesse’s comment vitriolic ?

Esspee Wed 13-Jan-21 17:40:56

Galaxy You do know this isn’t a site for women don’t you?
It is a site for grandparents.

Galaxy Wed 13-Jan-21 17:45:46

Eh? I didnt say it wasnt.

janeainsworth Wed 13-Jan-21 17:58:19

Who is DM?

What was vitriolic about Geekesse’s comment?

Why is GN not a site for women?
confusedconfused

Stormystar there is a certain irony about you starting a thread on Gransnet because you’re worried about freedom of speech.
GNHQ frequently delete threads because they are judged to have descended into ‘bunfights’ or someone’s feelings have been hurt. So do be careful.

Galaxy Wed 13-Jan-21 18:01:47

I have no idea what's going on grin.

janeainsworth Wed 13-Jan-21 18:03:30

Me neither Galaxy.
Well I have, but if I posted my thoughts I’d get deleted grin