Gransnet forums

News & politics

Censorship by Apple Amazon Facebook

(71 Posts)
Stormystar Mon 11-Jan-21 19:50:38

How can we think we live in Democratic Societies when Global Corporations have more power over what can be spoken and written than governments. They hold the power. Cutting out a mans tongue does not prove him a liar it evidences their fear of what he may say.

Stormystar Wed 13-Jan-21 18:21:40

Mmm didn’t check Of course meant DT. So happy this is a feisty fun site look forward to scintillating mind expanding fearless discussions. Take heed of Dylan Thomas - Do not go quiet into that good night.

GagaJo Wed 13-Jan-21 21:28:13

I didn't mean that Geekesses comment was vitriolic. Just that it can get nasty in the forum's.

Not many people on here are quiet Stormystar. No stereotypical sweet little old ladies, vitriolic vixens more like!

PippaZ Wed 13-Jan-21 21:29:47

Stormystar

Mmm didn’t check Of course meant DT. So happy this is a feisty fun site look forward to scintillating mind expanding fearless discussions. Take heed of Dylan Thomas - Do not go quiet into that good night.

What does that mean, please?

GagaJo Wed 13-Jan-21 21:33:56

Do you think it means she is pro violent Republican protests?

janeainsworth Wed 13-Jan-21 21:44:28

Why do you think stormystar is female, gagajo?

GagaJo Wed 13-Jan-21 21:59:22

Dunno. Ok then s/he.

Stormystar Thu 14-Jan-21 15:09:50

Twitters CEO Jack Dorsey admitted himself that banning DT sets a Dangerous Precedent. Obama when addressing the United Nations stated” laudable efforts to restrict speech can become a tool to silence critics or oppress minorities. The strongest weapon against hate speech is not repression it is more speech. This sums up the essence of my thinking

Grandmabatty Thu 14-Jan-21 15:18:40

Please quote accurately,if you must. 'Do not go gentle into that good night.' This is rather ranty and I don't think the OP is open to discourse, despite what they say. Free speech,but only if you agree with me?

janeainsworth Thu 14-Jan-21 15:19:33

But Trump isn't a critic, he's a deranged megalomanic, and his followers aren't an 'oppressed minority'.
I think you've taken Obama's words out of context and are using them disingenuously ss.

Galaxy Thu 14-Jan-21 15:20:06

That's pretty much the case for lots of people grandma batty though.

PippaZ Thu 14-Jan-21 15:27:19

GagaJo

Do you think it means she is pro violent Republican protests?

I wondered.

Stormystar Thu 14-Jan-21 19:35:01

jainainsworth perhaps you’d care to read his speech Obama defends free speech at UN By JOSH GERSTEIN.

geekesse Thu 14-Jan-21 20:49:28

Storystar wrote ‘... Unaccountable unelected giant cooperations are running the show and orchestrating the Narrative.’

QAnon, anyone?

janeainsworth Thu 14-Jan-21 20:52:27

Stormystar Obama wasn’t talking about the Leader of the Free World inciting violence and insurrection, or a privately owned organisation withdrawing access to an internet platform from a far-right organisation, was he?
As I suspected, you have taken his words out of context.
Have you any contemporaneous references?

Elegran Thu 14-Jan-21 20:54:48

That article was dated 09/25/2012 He wasn't referring to the POTUS inciting violence and insurrection. Trump wasn't even inaugurated then.

Stormystar Thu 14-Jan-21 21:51:37

Of course he wasn’t, he was stating a principle he believed in and enshrined in US law, “Our Constitution protects the right to practice free speech,” Obama told this to world leaders and delegates gathered for the United Nations General Assembly. Are you suggesting Obama was disingenuous, because time or situation wold alter his basic premise.

Stormystar Thu 14-Jan-21 22:20:46

When I started this - as a newbi I had expected insightful exploration of the power over the flow of information Big money has. And the unimaginable consequences this will have. I’d hoped for Insightful thoughts and ideas that would expand my own understanding. Heyho

janeainsworth Thu 14-Jan-21 22:57:21

Here’s Obama on why Trump shouldn’t be allowed ‘free speech’
edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/10/21/obama-trump-tweets-crazy-uncle-tsr-vpx.cnn

Sorry you’ve been disappointed in Gransnet ss.

Stormystar Fri 15-Jan-21 11:16:06

Not at all in gransnet jaineainsworth

nanna8 Sun 17-Jan-21 12:04:52

Just been watching a program about how China monitors peoples’ every move and gives them a score according to how compliant and well behaved they are. Reminded me of ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’. God forbid we should ever get like that !