Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is there any reason why children should not repeat a school year?

(107 Posts)
Dinahmo Sun 17-Jan-21 12:24:42

The Big Question has returned and this morning the question of lockdown was discussed. One of the points mentioned was the lack of education for some children causing problems throughout their lives.

Is there any reason why children could not restart their courses next September? They will have missed so much since last March and keeping up to the curriculum would be difficult I imagine. It would mean that small children would start school a year later and teenagers would go to university a year later too.

So much is made of the problems that young people are facing because of lockdown - depression, lack of contact with their friends and so on. When they do go back to school perhaps they could spend more time doing some sports and cooking and drama and other subjects that don't necessarily lead to a GCSE?

I'm sure there are logistical reasons why this would prove to be difficult. There may be retired teachers out there who would like to particpate, perhaps if there was no paperwork involved. But something should be done to make sure that children do not suffer in the long term from the school closures.

growstuff Sat 23-Jan-21 20:26:23

AGAA4

Iam64 I agree. Teachers need to be vaccinated soon so that the schools can re-open. In my daughter's college 2 teachers have died of Covid.
My D and many other teachers want to get back to teaching in the classroom but it will not be safe until they have been vaccinated.

Safe for whom? It won't be safe for the families of the pupils, even after teachers are vaccinated. pupils are vectors of transmission to people outside the school buildings. Community transmission needs to come down before it's safe to open schools. If only it were as simple as vaccinating teachers, but it's not.

Iam64 Sat 23-Jan-21 18:57:14

Agree nanna8, and nobody should accuse them of ‘getting the unions involved’. As though that’s tantamount to revolution.
Oldham has seen a 50% increase in serious injuries to children in lockdown. One of our local schools brought ten primary age children into care in two months. These are distressing figures that involve real small children. Schools, family centres and social workers may have been able to prevent some of this. Pre austerity and of course, covid

nanna8 Sat 23-Jan-21 11:46:25

No way should teachers be put in danger. They need to speak out loudly and get their unions involved. Do the kids wear masks in school ? They certainly should until the vaccine has been rolled out.

AGAA4 Wed 20-Jan-21 15:47:33

Iam64 I agree. Teachers need to be vaccinated soon so that the schools can re-open. In my daughter's college 2 teachers have died of Covid.
My D and many other teachers want to get back to teaching in the classroom but it will not be safe until they have been vaccinated.

Iam64 Wed 20-Jan-21 13:24:25

Teachers need to be treated as key workers and the wherewithal found to vaccinate them with other key workers. Schools do seem to be hotbeds of transmission, so all that can be done to minimise that, must be done.
We need our children back to school as soon as that can be as safely as possibly achieved. Parents, usually mothers are juggling wfh with home educating. The young parents I know well, are mostly educated to degree level and tech savvy. None of them are finding home schooling, negotiating the school sessions straightforward.
Also, the children are bored, isolated from friends and in many cases grandparents. Many children mixed with no one for ten days in the Christmas holidays. Their return to school for one day ruled out so many grandparents As child care because of the possible spread of the virus.
They do not need to repeat a year. As has been said, many other European countries don’t have formal education as early as we do. My experience of refugee children is their capacity to learn English and achieve in school is huge.
GCSE and a levels can’t take place this year. Trust the teachers

Lucca Wed 20-Jan-21 13:20:11

I didn’t take it as boasting.

Ellianne Wed 20-Jan-21 12:44:16

Oh come on biba boasting?

Galaxy Wed 20-Jan-21 12:43:09

Certajnly staggered drop offs and different entrances has been going since this first started, in my area anyway. I think it was in the original early years guidance that came out but I have read so many updates of guidance that it's hard to remember. Most of those settings because of the layout the parents could drop at the door but not allowed inside. Actually have just remembered one setting where parents went into cloakroom but one at a time staggered drop off and not into the actual early years room.

biba70 Wed 20-Jan-21 12:42:33

No nit picking, but fair enough to return to the OPand what it was about (rather than boast with photos of your very privileged school- which looks very similar to the ones my grandchildren attend- but would not dream of posting here why?). And they walk- up the long drives and grounds, in all weathers- dropped at the gate with Senior students supervising.

As said, repeating a year, for most schools, is totally unpractical due to lack of space and lack of staff. As for GCSEs, a total waste of space indeed- huge amounts of educational time is spent teaching for the exams, and endless practice for the exams, then 2 months off just for the exams. BTW no other country I can think about in Europe has such formal exams at 15/16.

Ellianne Wed 20-Jan-21 12:42:24

*nit

Ellianne Wed 20-Jan-21 12:41:42

I'm an explorer par excellence and enjoy tangents which go all over the place!
The thread is about the possible need to repeat the school year, which took posters to consider the provision for the youngest 2021 intake, which led to a poster asking about the virus precautions for EYS, which in turn led to a bit of sideways thinking. Mix into that posters wanting to talk about their own experiences, all indeed valuable, not not picking hopefully.

Lucca Wed 20-Jan-21 12:23:16

The thread is one involving education so surely a little deviation from the OP is allowed? Explore other aspects ? Read around the subject? Not nitpick ?

Lucca Wed 20-Jan-21 12:21:05

Just to say the state school where I taught are also doing zoom lessons on a full day basis.

biba70 Wed 20-Jan-21 11:58:17

Ellianne

growstuff

You should have appointed staff more willing to go the extra mile.

Most people don't have children attending school on an estate.

Well so sorry for being a bit different then growstuff.
Is this thread yours, and yours alone?
I don't want to name the school my children attended, but here's a picture.
Sorry to deviate Galaxy, your posts were informative from the logistical aspects I was mentally picturing.. Thank you. One size doesn't fit all.

Well that does look lovely indeed. Very similar to the two school my grandchildren go to.

One size does not fit all- that is true. But the real truth, is that the 'size' you pictured above only fits a few- those who have very well off parents (or in some cases, grand-parents) - irrespective of their individual educational needs. My grandchildren are also lucky now, to have formal lessons in all subjects taught by their teacher on Zoom, etc, interacting with other children too. So they are not 'missing' the year at all. Not the case for the large majority of children.

But this thread has totally lost the plot. It was about the possibility or need, for children to repeat the whole year they have more or less missed.

Chardy Wed 20-Jan-21 11:05:01

ayse A school's statistics which basically determine its OFSTED report are very precise. Each child's date of birth puts them in a specific cohort. When that cohort is tested, if that child doesn't take that test, they go down as a fail, and they are included in the percentages. Consequently schools are loath to have pupils in the wrong year.

trisher Wed 20-Jan-21 10:38:31

When my GCs went back to school in September parents had to hand them over at the school gate, each year used a different gate and starting times were staggered.
Ellianne that just looks like many of the roads some schools are down so presumably there will be other barriers nearer the school building and parents could leave their children at them.

Ellianne Wed 20-Jan-21 09:59:31

growstuff

Well so sorry for being a bit different then growstuff.
Is this thread yours, and yours alone?
I don't want to name the school my children attended, but here's a picture.
Sorry to deviate Galaxy, your posts were informative from the logistical aspects I was mentally picturing.. Thank you. One size doesn't fit all.

ayse Wed 20-Jan-21 09:58:47

In response to the OP. There is no reason apart from lack of will by the government, our society and lack of resources.

ayse Wed 20-Jan-21 09:54:43

Firstly, apologies as I haven’t read all the comments. This is because I’m busy doing 6 yr old childcare and online school in my bubble with daughter.

I believe our children deserve the best and I’m sure we are clever enough as a society to be more flexible and give all our children a good education. This should mean that children should be able to repeat a year or go faster should they need to.

In Finland children don’t start school until they are 8, and do well. In Australia, boys in particular can spend an extra year at home depending on their development. The children are assessed before they start school.

Flexibility should be the key with more resources in terms of teachers, technology etc. Our taxes should benefit all children and I’m very happy to pay more for all our social services (health, education and social care).

I want the best for all our children and grandchildren.

growstuff Wed 20-Jan-21 09:52:28

Ellianne Wed 20-Jan-21 09:41:32

parents/carers weren't allowed into the school grounds
I don't think my staff would have fancied collecting the tiny children 1/4 mile away at the entrance to the estate in all weathers!
However well trained an EYS child might be, many still have wobbles!
I assume Galaxy this is a new rule because it wasn't happening last term when I was dropping off GC?

growstuff Wed 20-Jan-21 09:28:35

Ellianne

Galaxy

No parents are allowed in early years settings at the moment. Only one adult allowed to bring the child to the setting.

That's interesting Galaxy. How do you get the children from the gates, up the drive or through the grounds to their own classrooms? It must take an army of staff?
I bet the adults delivering them still hang round together though. That's what worries me most.

I rarely took my own children to primary school, but when I did, parents/carers weren't allowed into the school grounds. The children were well-trained and there was always an adult on the other side of the gate to guide them.

Galaxy Wed 20-Jan-21 09:27:30

They have staggered drop off times and for some provision numerous entrances. The children are met by one adult member of staff who takes them to their base.

growstuff Wed 20-Jan-21 09:25:04

MrsA54

I’m just hoping someone could clarify the issue of which children are considered to be the most likely to pass on the virus.....why are most school age children being kept at home whilst the youngest are still able to go to childminders, nurseries and early years providers? Nothing to do with unions I suppose?

No, I don't think it has anything to do with unions. Why do you think that?

Ellianne Wed 20-Jan-21 09:24:33

Galaxy

No parents are allowed in early years settings at the moment. Only one adult allowed to bring the child to the setting.

That's interesting Galaxy. How do you get the children from the gates, up the drive or through the grounds to their own classrooms? It must take an army of staff?
I bet the adults delivering them still hang round together though. That's what worries me most.