Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is there any reason why children should not repeat a school year?

(106 Posts)
Dinahmo Sun 17-Jan-21 12:24:42

The Big Question has returned and this morning the question of lockdown was discussed. One of the points mentioned was the lack of education for some children causing problems throughout their lives.

Is there any reason why children could not restart their courses next September? They will have missed so much since last March and keeping up to the curriculum would be difficult I imagine. It would mean that small children would start school a year later and teenagers would go to university a year later too.

So much is made of the problems that young people are facing because of lockdown - depression, lack of contact with their friends and so on. When they do go back to school perhaps they could spend more time doing some sports and cooking and drama and other subjects that don't necessarily lead to a GCSE?

I'm sure there are logistical reasons why this would prove to be difficult. There may be retired teachers out there who would like to particpate, perhaps if there was no paperwork involved. But something should be done to make sure that children do not suffer in the long term from the school closures.

GagaJo Sun 17-Jan-21 12:40:38

I have been saying this for a few weeks now.

The key issue is that state funded education ends at 18. I absolutely think for school children of the pandemic, that this should be extended to 19.

I work in private education now. I have an 18 year old starting a course for 16 year olds. I have a 15 year old who has a VERY difficult past stepping back a year to give her more time to aclimatise to school, before hitting IB Diploma (A Level equivilent). At my previous school, I had a 20 year old in a class of 17 year olds.

GagaJo Sun 17-Jan-21 12:41:52

Of course we have the massive issue in the UK of teacher retention due to horrific work conditions (I am not talking about covid here, just the usual s**t teachers face). As you point out Dinahmo, this would add to the issue of having one extra year group in education.

Galaxy Sun 17-Jan-21 12:42:45

I suppose the issue is what happens to those children who are waiting to enter school of nursery and reception classes don't move on.

trisher Sun 17-Jan-21 12:53:29

The problem is you will have two big difficulties at each end of the scale. At school entry level what happens to those children who would be entering school in September. Some will currently be in nursery education, some won't. The time they spend in nursery will vary considerably. If they are to remain in nursery the number of places would need to be expanded hugely in order to give a uniform nursery experience, and as there will be younger children coming in, places, space and staff would all need to increase. The legal position would need to change as well because children currently must be in full time education after their 5th birthday.
Then at the top end what happens to universities and colleges? The courses they currently offer would be empty for a year. They would suffer substantial financial hardship, many are already struggling because of the lack of overseas students. It might lead to a reduction in the courses being offered. Then how many young people at the top end would drop out because they wouldn't want to repeat the year?

Galaxy Sun 17-Jan-21 12:55:40

And thinking about it the early years issue would be particularly discriminatory in terms of those with additional needs, in terms of support, early intervention, diagnosis etc.

Peasblossom Sun 17-Jan-21 12:57:24

Hmm, dare I suggest this might be the moment to question the Curriculum altogether? How much of what is missed is really that important? Could they catch up with what they really need if a lot of other stuff was dropped?

Does anyone really need 11 or 12 GCSEs?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 17-Jan-21 13:01:57

If the curriculum and school entry/leaving age is to be overhauled.

I would prefer to see much discussion, focus groups with all agencies involved rather than a knee jerk reaction to a global pandemic.

trisher Sun 17-Jan-21 13:11:26

If any of these extreme measures were going to be introduced it would be necessary to do it now. Schools begin planning the transition of children from one stage of education to another in February and March. It's not something that just happens. Most primary school children will already have chosen their secondary school. Many parents will be deciding which primary school they want their child to go to. The process is complicated and there are always appeals to deal with.

Chardy Sun 17-Jan-21 13:21:09

If this year's Y6s stay in primary, what will happen to the little ones who need to be in Reception next year. They'll be no teacher and no classroom for them.
If the Y13s retake their A level year, what will happen to the 1st year of undergraduates next year. It'll be empty. Universities are run like businesses these days. Will they just sack lecturers because they're missing 30% of their students? Those taking their finals this year are desperate to graduate, and can't afford another year at uni anyway.

growstuff Sun 17-Jan-21 13:28:59

I don't think it's necessary at all. Nowhere does it state that pupils need a defined body of knowledge by a specific stage in their lives.

The logistical problems would be horrendous.

growstuff Sun 17-Jan-21 13:31:36

Peasblossom

Hmm, dare I suggest this might be the moment to question the Curriculum altogether? How much of what is missed is really that important? Could they catch up with what they really need if a lot of other stuff was dropped?

A very valid question to dare to ask.

growstuff Sun 17-Jan-21 13:37:26

GagaJo

I have been saying this for a few weeks now.

The key issue is that state funded education ends at 18. I absolutely think for school children of the pandemic, that this should be extended to 19.

I work in private education now. I have an 18 year old starting a course for 16 year olds. I have a 15 year old who has a VERY difficult past stepping back a year to give her more time to aclimatise to school, before hitting IB Diploma (A Level equivilent). At my previous school, I had a 20 year old in a class of 17 year olds.

It would certainly be worth considering extra funding, so that pupils could resit A levels. Currently, schools do not have the resources to allow pupils to stay for an extra year and only allow it in extreme circumstances.

There is already growing support to abolish GCSEs anyway, which give secondary schools an extra term of teaching time.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 17-Jan-21 13:41:23

If all children repeat the year that they started in the autumn, then good and well.

If only children who are judged as needing the extra schooling because they or their schools have not coped well with online tution, then no. This would stigmatize these children as being less clever than others.

I doubt whether repeating one year of school will do much good, after all the first lockdown was the spring of 2020 and thus in a different academic year.

And what are private schools supposed to do? I doubt many parents will be happy to pay an extra years' tution.

It sounds easy, saying let them all repeat a year, but it will cause staffing problems and problems finding space for the eldest class.

paddyanne Sun 17-Jan-21 13:43:18

Can someone explain the English system to me ? Here children go to the school local to them both primary and secondary .Why would a primary age child be able to choose what school they go to? Why would parents be able to decide what school unless its state v private ?

Lucca Sun 17-Jan-21 13:46:55

Peasblossom

With you on this idea ! Also keen on the idea of a broader type of education but sadly there’s always going to be funding issues and too much proscriptive stuff (sorry I’m struggling for vocabulary today) in the world of teaching !

Galaxy Sun 17-Jan-21 13:49:32

Its barking if that's any help paddyanne. But the system is as a parent you can name your schools in order of preference, up to 4 I think, if there is space you can go to school in the village with the better school than the one in your own village.

growstuff Sun 17-Jan-21 13:51:47

grandtante Not all children need to repeat a year. Some of them have already developed independent learning skills and will be just fine. To be honest, they're the ones who will cope best with the demands of higher education anyway. Forcing them to do an extra year would be frustrating for them and possibly create an even wider attainment gap.

Ellianne Sun 17-Jan-21 14:14:52

A repeat year is not a good idea in my opinion for all the reasons mentioned above.
I assume this is being suggested as schools may stay closed all this term.
For starters, get the children back a week early straight after Easter and back a week early in September. It's not a lot in the bigger picture but better than nothing.

EllanVannin Sun 17-Jan-21 14:28:41

How about 2 weeks off during the summer holidays instead of the 6 for starters ?

Ellianne Sun 17-Jan-21 14:35:01

EllanVannin

How about 2 weeks off during the summer holidays instead of the 6 for starters ?

I'm not sure that would go down very well, but definitely try reducing it to 4 or 5 weeks.

Dinahmo Sun 17-Jan-21 14:38:15

EV That is putting the cat amongst the pigeons!

I remember once when annual holidays were only 3 weeks telling a teacher friend about a spring break in Crete. She said she would like to go to which my response was that she could at half term. Oh no was the response. I need time to prepare and then time to recover. This week long holiday was taken over a May bank holiday so that I only used up 4 days of my entitlement. I finished work on a Tuesday, we flew out the next day, back on the following Tuesday and back to work the next day.

trisher Sun 17-Jan-21 14:39:44

EllanVannin

This would effectively mean that teaching staff would not have a holiday. Most spend days after the year finishes clearing paper work and the classroom. They are then usually back in school during the last week of the hols to prepare for the next class/intake. I

Ellianne Sun 17-Jan-21 14:45:14

Well I for one would cover for the stressed teachers during those extra weeks voluntarily.
Provided I could do things MY way, no following the curriculum, just getting back social skills, letting the kids re acclimatise and reigniting their love of learning.

Other jobs are also very stressful with long working hours. Many employees have only 4 or 5 weeks holiday in the year.

EllanVannin Sun 17-Jan-21 14:47:04

If I, when in my late 50's, could endure a 24hr flight and return to work next day, I'm pretty sure that most in their 40's/ 50's can do the same on a 4hr flight.
I might also add that I had a responsible job at the time.

Which is more important, school/ work or holidays ?