Gransnet forums

News & politics

Good Post-Brexit news!!!

(77 Posts)
Sarnia Sat 23-Jan-21 10:05:27

Despite all the doom merchants saying that Nissan would close their Sunderland plant, the company have confirmed that they are here to stay as 'Brexit gives them a competitive advantage'. As Nissan employ 75,000 people there must be some very relieved and happy employees and their families in the North-East. Happy Brexit news!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Feb-21 09:25:06

British engineering group Ricardo opens new £5.5 million Electrical Propulsion Research Centre at its Shoreham site in West Sussex. The new facility will be a global centre of excellence for electrified transport engineering.

There are plenty of good news stories of investment in U.K. Post Brexit it reall isn't all doom and gloom.

EU/NI/UK needs to be sorted out pretty damn quick.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Feb-21 09:20:04

£600 million sustainable aviation fuel plant set to be built in Ellesmere Port. Essar Oil, Stanlow Terminals and Californian based Fulcrom BioEnergy expect the huge development, Fulcrom's first plant in Europe to create hundreds of jobs.
bit.ly/2Zm20wB #ukmfg

Katie59 Thu 18-Feb-21 08:45:59

One snippet of good news Sterling is gaining steadily at €1.15 yesterday, it’s got a long way to go to get back to the €1.40 before the Brexit vote, at least it is moving.

vegansrock Thu 18-Feb-21 07:01:05

If it weren’t for the news being dominated by the health crisis, much more would be made of the many disastrous aspects of the treaty Johnson pushed through at the last minute. Terrible for artists and musicians, not to mention the fishing industry which has been sold down the river despite all the fanfare of “control of our waters”. The betrayal of N.I which will get worse after April unless they backtrack.

vegansrock Thu 18-Feb-21 06:56:24

But N.I. can more easily import trees from the EU - they can’t import from the mainland U.KThats how nuts the situation is.
www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/17/brexit-forces-northern-ireland-buyers-to-cancel-orders-for-100000-trees?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

NfkDumpling Thu 18-Feb-21 06:32:20

Not importing trees is really good news vegan. Imported trees, especially ones from the EU, have brought in too many diseases and pests to the UK.

vegansrock Thu 18-Feb-21 04:39:40

Meanwhile Northern Ireland buyers have had to cancel orders for 100,000 trees which were destined for many community projects as they aren’t allowed to import plants from the mainland. Plus The National Theatre has halted any future European tours of its productions.

NotSpaghetti Wed 17-Feb-21 19:36:49

I have used Bennetts for silk in the past including some fabulous silk jerseys.
They also have beautiful lace.
I don't buy silk now, but such a pity.

Good news for Milk Chocolate lovers regarding Cadbury though.

Dinahmo Sun 14-Feb-21 19:32:29

It's sad when a long established company that would provide interesting work has to move abroad. No doubt many of the garment makers will follow. France is very good at lace, some of which was used on Kate Middleton's wedding dress.

varian Sun 14-Feb-21 18:53:26

Here is the reason that a long established British company is moving to the EU

www.theguardian.com/business/2021/feb/14/as-half-its-sales-are-wiped-out-silk-firm-joins-exodus-to-europe

Dinahmo Sat 06-Feb-21 12:24:51

Every day some govt minister or other announces that they are pledging millions to some project or other. These vast sums spew out of their mouths ad infinitum. Has anybody added up the costs of these various promises?

Urmstongran Fri 05-Feb-21 21:24:28

More GOOD NEWS!

“Spain and the United Kingdom are negotiating a security and defense agreement meant to serve as a key element of the new cooperation sought by both sides following the end of the Brexit transition period on January 1.

According to Spanish diplomatic sources, the deal will cover issues such as the fight against Jihadism, cyber-defense and joint military missions; it will also contain “measures of trust” regarding the base in Gibraltar, a British Overseas Territory located at the southern tip of the Iberian peninsula that is a source of continuous friction between both countries.”

- Source: El Pais in English (2 days ago).
?

Casdon Fri 05-Feb-21 20:59:21

Surely as it is mainly Brits who eat it then it just makes more economic sense now to manufacture and distribute it in the UK? Not for me though, I prefer dark chocolate.

vegansrock Fri 05-Feb-21 20:48:27

Cadbury’s horrible full of palm oil , sugar and hardly any chocolate. Just what the Brits like though.

Smileless2012 Fri 05-Feb-21 17:08:52

Do you think the young man in black might be coming too Pantglas? Even without him it's very good newssmile.

Pantglas2 Fri 05-Feb-21 15:16:10

Correct MaizieD - and it’s not the same without that young man in black delivering either......?

MaizieD Fri 05-Feb-21 13:57:08

I'm happy to hear that , GG1.

They must think that the UK is a very good market for them to make it worth their while to move here... and be a large enough concern to absorb the cost and red tape involved in exporting to the EU.

I wish they'd rethink their Milk Tray, though. It's got really horrible over the past few years and it used to be my favourite... grin

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Feb-21 11:25:34

Cadbury’s are moving their Dairy Milk plant out of Germany and back into Bournville to a new 15 million plant ???

NotSpaghetti Tue 26-Jan-21 08:18:53

Jane10 the £100 million only covers outward movement of students/staff. It does not cover inward movement with all the soft power and influence it brings.
Also, although the £100 million is pledged I'm not aware that a statement has been made yet as to over what time span this will be used.

Some countries have Erasmus and other schemes to improve reach.
Turing is not a replacement for Erasmus. Although I welcome it, it does a different job.

Jane10 Tue 26-Jan-21 07:18:10

The Turing scheme is much more comprehensive than the EU one.

paddyanne Mon 25-Jan-21 22:38:26

its good news that the EU is reportedly trying to find a way back for Scotland and Wales into the Erasmus programme...not England because thye decided they didn't want it .You reap what you sow !

biba70 Mon 25-Jan-21 22:33:58

great start

Jane10 Mon 25-Jan-21 22:22:02

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

biba70 Mon 25-Jan-21 20:40:53

then time for pots and kettles to stop I'd say.

Jane10 Mon 25-Jan-21 12:51:32

biba ??? pot kettle black?